Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Cold weather tips. >

Cold weather tips.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cold weather tips.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 PM

Default Cold weather tips.

Since it has been below zero in Minnesota since around July 15, I thought I would put together some cold weather tips I have learned through the years. I am talking cold weather here, not 15 or 20 above, but COLD, daytime highs of -20 to0 degrees and of course with windchill. Although 32 and -20 are both technically freezing, one is much different than the other.

1. Creaks: Now is the time of year that if any of your equipment has the slightest creak, you WILL notice it. Treestands (I use all hang on) are notorious for having the slightest cold weather creaks. I have found after your stand is up with its chain or strap, then take another ratchet strap, and tighten it around the base of the stand and around the tree, it really helps tighten things down.

2. Squeaks: Weather you have a carpeted stand or grated stand, below zero temps quite often cause the snow on or in your boots or cleatsto squeak and then freeze on the carpet causing crunching sounds and the metal grates can also freeze and cause squeaking. To combat this, in cold weather, I bag my stand with a cloth bag when not using them so they are always free from snow and ice. If I get an unexpected snow,I always carry a limp rug (with no backing) to my stand. Clean off the snow and then lay the rug down. Whisper quiet platform for you.

3. Boots: Chances are you are wearing a pac boot this time of year, be careful, they are bigger than what you are used to climbing with the rest fo the year.

3A: Boots with cleats collect snow, the snow goes up your stand with you and rests on your platform. I always carry an umpires brush with and when I get to my stand I clear the snow from the base of the ladder, then use the brush to get rid of the snow on my boots and in particular the cleatsand also bursh my pants so I climb my stand free of snow. Safer and no squeaks at the top.

4. Pants: Use the same brush to get rid of the snow on your bibs or pants whatever. If you get into your stand and this snow melts the slightests and refreezes, you now have extremely noisy clothing.

5. Refreeze: Keep in mind once your clothes become cold, dont warm them back up until you are done hunting, the worst thing you can do is have snow melt and then refreeze on you.

6. Realease: I havemy realease strapped around my wrist and use a muff, handwarmer, whatever you want to call it that I keep my hands in to avoid wearing gloves.NEVER EVER let your release go inside the handwarmer with you. You get a little condensing in there, and then when you get ready for a shot, the condensation freezes and you have a less than reliable release.

7. Keep your cams free of snow. If they are warm whenthey come out of the truck and get a little snow on them and it melts, you have an icy cam. The Primos bow carriers are great to combat this.

8.Exercise: When you get to your stand and periodically throught your sit, draw your bow and hold. Try sittingstill at -10 for 3 hoursand then get up and make the shot. Keep your muscles as loose as possible.

9. Head clothing:In this weather we wear hoods, baclaves, whatever, will they screw up your anchor point? Find out before a deer comes. What about sleeve slap, is the extra clothing going to hit your string?

10. Blood trails: Sure, snows on the ground, the blood trail will be a piece of cake. Not so fast. When youhave a good amount of fine powder on the ground and the deer isn't bleeding much (just drops), those drops will fall/melt right through that powder often times leaving no sign of blood on top, then when you deer gets into a yarding area with many tracks, your in trouble.

11. How long: Yeah, yeah you can't kill a deer fromt he couch so you head out to your stand a couple hours earlier than normal. Great attempt, but the last thing you want is to sit the extra time only to find that you are frozen and shaking in the last half hour of shooting light. Might as well have stayed home. Pattern your deer and time your hunts accordingly.

12. Gutting: You will never feel cold like you will after you have finished gutting your deer and the warmth of the cavity wears off leaving you with moist, maybe bloody hands. I carry extra handwarms just for this reason.

13. Scent: At this time of year, I worry less about scent then I do at anytime of the year. I strictly hunt the wind and dress in whatever it takes to keep me warm, scent free or not.

14. Your truck: Sure we all have tough trucks or cars that can get through the snow on the ground. Keep in mind, the snow blows across flat open fields but settles in the ruts or what used to be the field road, causing drifting and causing you to bury your truck. Nothing ticks a farmer off more than having to leave the warmth of his house having to come pull you out after he has just spent all day working in the cold himself.

15. Be smart: Must you hunt on this day, and if so, do you have check in times established or a cell phone with you. Does not take long in these temps before you are dead and a coyote eats yer rear end out.

16. Thermos: I bring a thermos of hot chocolate with me, yes it makes for some extra movement, but that burst of warmth can really keep you going.

17. Hope like he!! it get sback to 15 or 20 above and you can break the September clothing back out.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cold weather tips.

Good stuff!!
Old 12-23-2008, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

good advice, thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll tell you what purple when it's 15 degrees out I just plain freeze my arse off. I carry enough layers in to outfit a small army and the pac boots have been on since November but still the cold seeps in!

I know I shouldn't say this but I have become very fond of "thermocare" heat wraps for the back and am waiting for a clothing line that is made out of handwarmers to be introduced. Not worthy of a sack punch but should be good for a man card point at least.

It's a tough time to bowhunt and for the next couple of weeks the ML will be carried. The ML at least gives you the feeling you can get up and wander a bit on the crunchy snow.

The big question is how long you can sit in a tree stand in really cold temps. I've shivered so bad the treeI'm in is shaking a bit too.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Good tips MNpurple! One that I've found is is I get sweated up on the way in at all, I need to change my socks and t-shirt, then I'm good to go. In the wind it's another story, however, that is just brutal, maybe sit on the ground then. Also, take a little something to munch on, when your body is digesting and you are chewing, you actually warm up quite a bit.
Dandbuck
Old 12-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Planter, those Thermacare wraps are amazing! I just started using them this season, even in November. I hate having too many clothes on. These things are the ticket. Wal mart actually sells an off-brand has an elastic belt that you can reuse. I just buy one of them and load up on the hot hands body warmers to put into the belt.

I found that if my kidneys are warm, I'm warm.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been recycling the Wallyworld one as well Muzzy. A couple of the big handwarmers does just fine in the pouches.

You may be to young to use themMuzzy. The rules say you have to be over forty five. Heck when I was your age I hunted all day in wet sneakers and blue jeans. (ARG)Come to think of it I guess I wasn't to bright as I was cold then too.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a cold weather bow, the Draw length is 1/2'' shorter.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may be to young to use themMuzzy. The rules say you have to be over forty five. Heck when I was your age I hunted all day in wet sneakers and blue jeans. (ARG)Come to think of it I guess I wasn't to bright as I was cold then too.
haha, man you got me pegged.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does not take long in these temps before you are dead and a coyote eats yer rear end out.
LOL! Now there's a mental picture I did not need.

A couple of other points:
Cotton kills, you'll be warmer if you don't have cotton on near your skin.
Keep something between you and the ground/seat/stand to prevent heat loss through conduction. Stand on an insulated pad or carpet to reduce heat loss through your feet.
Most heat is lost through your head, wear plenty on your head
It may sound silly but a stand umbrella will add a bit of warmth on calm days by trapping your escaping heat.

Quick Reply: Cold weather tips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.