HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What are you like? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/279605-what-you-like.html)

rage2blade 12-22-2008 11:52 AM

What are you like?

After you shoot a buck or a doe, Do you feel the same?

What do you do?

How dumb do you look, do you think? Are you like the hunters in the videos?

Schultzy 12-22-2008 11:57 AM

RE: What are you like?

I get very worked up!! When I make the climb down from my stand I'm usually still shaking like a leaf. Actually I'm worse after I make the shot then I am when I take the shot.

This bow hunting stuff Is awesome and exciting, I guess It's why I've kept doing It for 24 years straight.

drockw 12-22-2008 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I get very worked up!! When I make the climb down from my stand I'm usually still shaking like a leaf. Actually I'm worse after I make the shot then I am when I take the shot.

This bow hunting stuff Is awesome and exciting, I guess It's why I've kept doing It for 24 years straight.
I feel the same way. when im getting ready to make the shot, i take DEEP breaths to keep me from getting shook up to bad. After the shot though, all that goes out the window. Usually i instinctively put an arrow on though for some reason[&:]I guess its just doing without thinking about it. I have to wait until im calm to climb down out of the tree.
Derek

kickin_buck 12-22-2008 12:13 PM

I am exactly the same way schultzy. I will start to look for a new hobby if I ever stop getting worked up like that.

rage2blade 12-22-2008 12:17 PM

I feel the same day! Why would kids do drugs when they could get the ultimate rush killing a deer! I live for the feeling!

BowHuntingFool 12-22-2008 12:18 PM

I'm like Steve, I usually take a seat and take it all in. I can't climb down right away because I'll probably fall from shaking so bad. I love it!

If I ever act like one of those guys on TV, I hope somebody shoots ME.....

rage2blade 12-22-2008 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Nothing is wrong with a little dance of excitment:D

I feel the same way!

rybohunter 12-22-2008 12:33 PM

I think I am actually pretty calm, until I get into my truck to drive home.
I don’t get worked up before the shot, after the shot I do a little but still not to the point of shaking real bad or anything. Historically the things that have left me with the shakes the most are close encounters with no shot taken. I am happy and proud when I shoot a buck or doe, but I don’t holler or get too animated. Typically a big smile and some fast excited talking is about it.
Now the drive home after downing a nice buck when everything kind of settles in and the drag work is done, I’ll let loose with some hoots & hollers and maybe even a refrain of Travis Tritt’s “great day to be alive”.

If/when I am ever fortunate enough to kill an elk, especially if it turns out to be a decent bull… I cannot be held accountable for my reaction.

Germ 12-22-2008 12:34 PM

These days, Stunned[&:]

Schultzy 12-22-2008 12:35 PM

If/when I am ever fortunate enough to kill an elk, especially if it turns out to be a decent bull… I cannot be held accountable for my reaction.
That makes 2 of us Ryan!!:D

HuntingBry 12-22-2008 12:42 PM

As Rob said, "I'm pumped." Buck, doe, whatever I get pretty stoked after the shot. I don't have any gyrations or over the top fist pumping, but there is some celebration that goes on and a little bit of shaking after all is said an done.

I do believe that when I stayin the stand after a shot I might as well have a neon sign with an arrow up there pointing at me because I can't sit still for nothing.

Muliefever 12-22-2008 12:51 PM

I think I stay pretty calm. Until I walk up onto my prize! This year when i shot my Bull, My buddy Dave was right there with me. After the shot he was freaking out. And I was just fine. When I walked up to him, now that is a different story!

Rory/MO 12-22-2008 12:56 PM

I shake like a leaf, until I draw back, or get my gun on the rest. I'm calm for the shot (because I feel comfortable at full draw, or looking through a scope), but after the deer gets out of my sight I get VERY excited. I listen for the deer to crash, then I start calling people from my stand:D. After I get out of the stand and get on the first blood, I get even more excited. And then when I walk up on my trophy, I get completely PUMPED. Turkey hunting's a different kind of pumped for me. When they're gobbling, and you get set up on them, and they're gobbling just out of sight, I shake like a leaf. And I shake like a leaf until we get back in the truck[8D].

BowHuntingFool 12-22-2008 01:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

These days, Stunned[&:]

Thats funny right there! :D:D:D:D:D:D

mauser06 12-22-2008 01:24 PM

my first shot at a buck, i was way too excited...first year bowhunting...calm as could be till i let the arrow loose...then i about fell from the stand. initially thought 100% i smoked him..i knew he ducked and took it a hair high, but my lighted nock disappeared..i thought for sure it sank into his chest...all i could think of was CALL SOMEONE! grabbed my phone and before i could dial it flew out of my hand to the ground lol. i couldnt calm myself at all...first shot at a deer with the bow and a GOOD buck...would been my biggest to date even...i knew i couldnt sit in that tree but knew i shouldnt move...in fear of falling out, i snuck down and got my feet on the ground and snuck outta there...

the next year, i watched him die...he trotted 15yds or so and stopped and my heart sank...i KNEW i smoked him..i WATCHED IT! but i started 2nd guessing...did i make believe that perfect hit? why didnt he run hard? why is he standing there? grabbing for another arrow and he buckled and fell over dead. heard him suck air 4 or 5 times and that was that...then i just got wayyyy excited. buddy was grouse hunting on the other side of the mountain so i got on the radio and hollered BUCK DOWN!!! he says what kinda hit blah blah..im like NO!!! BUCK DOWN!! lets go! he ran the whole way to me and looked up and the whole tree was shaking...i made him climb up and get my bow so i didnt have to climb down with it lol..(climbed a hemlock tree so no chance for a tow rope!)

before the shot, im fine...but after i know i did good and put a good shot on, i let it go...usually just shaking and excitement..not hootin and hollerin like the guys on tv...i have found its much worse with the bow...maybe because i killed 12 with a firearm and 1 with the bow..i dont know..the only one i got THAT excited with the gun was the first one i about passed out from breathing so hard lol...but this year, i put my buck down with the gun and knew he was done and dead and i was a little excited..just to go see him upclose...just not the same...i think being stuck up in a treestand SUCKS too lol....thats the worst part of it!

Deleted User 12-22-2008 02:19 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

dave37 12-22-2008 02:22 PM

im usually an absolute nut before/during/after the shot (admittidly) i have noticed this year , the first i really got on a lot of deer all year long. i have slowly started to shake this habit (no pun intended).

I can say in all honesty if a doe so much as wAlks up a trail were i could take a shot (even though i know im not gonna) my mind starts racing , heart pumping the whole nine.

ISNT THAT THE POINT OF BEING OUT THERE !

muzzyman88 12-22-2008 02:41 PM

I'm fairly composed before and during the shot. After the shot happens is when I get the shakes and babble like a fool. :D I can still remember my last good bow buck. I saw the shot drill him and watched him run off. I knew he was pretty much dead on his feat. It took me 15 mins in the tree to figure out how to operate my climber and get out of the darn tree!:D Then I went and got my dad. I vaguely remember babbling to him about everything and then we went and found him.

That adrenaline rush you get,the euphoria you experience can't be replaced by anything.

MOhunter46 12-22-2008 02:44 PM

Before the shot im pretty calm but right after the arrow hit i get pretty excited. Then when i find the deer i get excited but i never really show it. Don't knowwhy, just the way ive always been.

Wayne

GregH 12-22-2008 02:57 PM

I'm cool as hell................. which is what I always am.

Glad there is no one there to see me!! [:-]

NY Bowhunter 12-22-2008 03:05 PM

I get more nervous on deer that I'm letting walk. When I plan on shooting one I am pretty calm and calculated as it's approaching. When I know I'm not going to shoot and it's going to walk by me for some reason makes my heart race. After I shoot one all hell breaks loose [8D]. I hyperventilate/shakes... all that good stuff.

bowmanaj 12-22-2008 05:39 PM

When I got my first bowkill and walked up on the deer, I was so worked up I couldn't even talk. I tried to talk to my brother but I was just mumbling random words I think. Never been so worked up in my entire life.

rage2blade 12-22-2008 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

When I got my first bowkill and walked up on the deer, I was so worked up I couldn't even talk. I tried to talk to my brother but I was just mumbling random words I think. Never been so worked up in my entire life.
Its a good feeling thats forsure!

marquismarc 12-22-2008 05:44 PM

I shake with excitement

Ben / PA 12-22-2008 05:48 PM

(in my best Stan Potts voice) Give me a minute folks.:D I get pretty worked up. I just don't do the fist pump or anything crazy like that.

dave37 12-22-2008 05:52 PM

i actually just thought of something from this year - short story of it - saw some does was ready standing/bow in hand etc. and cool (i thought). when it came time to draw i did so , she wouldnt stop walking but i couldnt grunt i was hyperventilating so bad i couldnt get any noise to come out ! i had to whistle to get her to stop. thats one ill prolly remember forever. i almost laughed out loud at full draw.

Mikey S. 12-22-2008 06:00 PM

As far as harvesting a buck or doe, they both are very fun, and I get just as thrilled with a big doe on the ground as I do a buck. I'm a pretty calm person, before and after the shot. The moment I live for, is that split second decision you have to sometimes make on a deer and drawing your bow. Sometimes it's so crucial, and pulling it off on an alert doe, or a rutting buck on the move is the rush I live for.

I will say out of 46 deer taken with a bow, half bucks, half does, the one time I got shook up to the point of tears was my one and only P & Y taken 3 years ago. I worked so dam hard to pin this buck down, and when he crashed and expired 50 yards from my tree after I shot, I was in complete shock as to what just happened. I literally hugged him when I pulled him out of the briars, not really realizing how nice he was till I grabbed his rack and held it in my hands.

130woodman 12-22-2008 06:00 PM

I'm so pumped after the shot I need to compose myself before I climb down. Ask Quiksilver I was on the phone with him right after the shot. He still gets a kick out of it. I don't really remember it.

ZachCL 12-22-2008 06:55 PM

As soon as I see that brown/grey tint I get pretty shakey. I love the anticipation of being able to see a deer way off and watch them come in a long ways. My best stand this year where I have taken 3 does so far enables me to see these deer coming for about 300 yrds. I get real shakey whenI make the decision to take a certain deer that I can see, like most of you guys though the real bad stuff comes in after the shot, I loose it then. First thing is thank God, next call my wife after that I sit and enjoy the moment for as long as I can stand to be in the tree. I love bloodtrailing even if I see the deer go down I still walk the trail its just a blast for me. Find the deer and give a huge sigh of relief. Its been said many times here but there is no better feeling, in the world period.

ILLUSION HUNTER 12-22-2008 08:26 PM

I don't get nervous until I decide that I'm going to take a shot on a deer. I get just as exited on a doe as a buck. I love the addrenaline rush, and after the shot I am like a kid. I jump around pumping my fists, probably look pretty silly, but it's hard to control the emotions

Kelly/KY 12-22-2008 08:30 PM

I have had so many emotions, disbelieve, elation, even bummed at a less than perfect shot, even though it may have been successful. I almost always have to take a seat, although this past Saturday, I whooped and took off running. It never gets old, never. But I'm sure I almost always look like an idiot.

MichiganWhitetails74 12-22-2008 08:35 PM

I'm like I was when I was 11 on my first deer...

I killed 7 deer this deer...

And Ishooooklike crazy.....I love this stuff.....Its in my blood on a daily basis...

As my wife watches dancing with the stars I'm dreaming about white-tails and the outdoors...well...ok....I love the chicks on dancing with the stars..

Later.. :D

Dozen Arrows 12-22-2008 08:39 PM

I don't get excited, I put my head down for about 5 minutes and thank the Lord quietly for the sacrifice. Never the less I am still satisfied from the kill, if that makes any sense? Is this not the way that God designed us?

Rob/PA Bowyer 12-22-2008 09:28 PM

I shake, alot.....particularly on buck but I'm also "pumped" on does.:D

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v499/Poorguy/Videos/?action=view&current=BBDinFilm.flv

TJF 12-22-2008 10:30 PM

It's really hard to explain. I don't get the shakes before or after. Not sure if it from hunting on the ground all these years or what. I really don't remember ever getting them to tell the truth. There is a rush but it doesn't affect me in any negative way. Usually the deer are on top of me. You are so zoned outwatching the deer... how it moves, what it is seeing andhowit is reacting before andwhile you are drawing, aiming and shooting. You are so wrapped up in not getting busted. The cold fingers/toes, billion bitingskeeters or cramped musclesare forgotten. Everything thing ceases to exist except the deer and moments leading up togetting a clean shot off.I absolutely love it.

Tim

hoytPA84 12-23-2008 05:58 AM

I ususally start shaking after making a shot. If i know that i can sneak out without jumping the deer up, I'll come back in a couple hourswhen i can think clearly and track the deer. The adrenaline rush is what keeps me doing this year after year. I continue to say that there is no feeling in this world that even comes close to what it feels like to harvest a buck with a bow.

davidmil 12-23-2008 06:59 AM

Agree 100 percent. I usually just sit and relax and take a few breaths and remember what I saw and what I think about the shot. I really don't get nervous or basketcase like before the shot. I do sometimes get a little excited but have developed a couple drills that push back the shakes. Preparing for and executing the shot have become pretty automatic. Everything goes on auto pilot from the minute I see the deer until I shoot. After the shot it's marking the deers escape route and listening. I sit and calm myself and think it over then slowly gather my gear to climb down. If the shot was good I'm usually out of the tree in about 5 minutes. I'll check the arrow and decide at that point the next move. It's all business until you find the deer from then on. When I find the deer there's always a rush and a silent "All Right, thank you Lord". I don't get "PUMPED".... that's for the TV stars. I'm tired of all the PUMPED PEOPLE. LOL I don't get "THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKIN' BOUT".... because there's noone there to talk about it with. Yes it's a rush, but I don't become a babbling,jumping, fist pumping, jerk off. It's me and the deer for a few quiet moments.

GTOHunter 12-23-2008 10:38 AM

When I first started Bow Hunting I shook so bad when theDeer walked in I didn't think I would ever get a shot at one,I have Rifle Hunted for over 30 years and the adrenaline rush of having to wait out aDeer until they are close enough for a Bow shot is uncompareable in the amount of torture or thrill of having a Deer so close toyou and having to wait and have the patients to let them get so close.In Oct of 2006 I was waiting in my climbing stand for a Doe to walk across the winter wheat food plot towards me when I heard something to my right,a nice 6-Point Buck crossed the edge of the adjoining field and jumped thedry creek bed and walked straight under my stand,I waited til he passed my stand,drew back my Bow and set my 20 yard pin on his vitals and pull the trigger on my release,the arrow hit him and passed all the way through laying on the ground as he ran off down the mowed path to theleft of my stand.He ran out of view and I waited impatiently trying to calm myself down after finally shooting a Deer with my Bow,I couldn't wait any longer so I lowered down my Bow,shimmed dwon the tree with my climber in record timeand ran out a few yards to look down the path where the Buck ran down...about 35 yards down there he layed,I ran down to see if he expired and thanked God for letting me get such a nice Deer...than I ran my arse off all the way up to the house to tell everyone I finally shot a Deer with a Bow and to get the tractor to haul the Deer back home with the biggest grin in the world on my face! :D

Carpmaster 12-23-2008 10:45 AM

I am the same way for quite some time after I shoot! It is a wierd feeling, that is for sure!

RobinAim Low 12-23-2008 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Yes it's a rush, but I don't become a babbling,jumping, fist pumping, jerk off. It's me and the deer for a few quiet moments.
Wow, so if I pump my fist, jump, or babble to my cameraman, I am a jerk off huh?

Bottom line, for me at least, is that when I have someone right above me in the tree (who in my case is always a close friend), it is just natural to get excited with that person. It is natural to shake hands on an accomplishment on both our parts. I do get excited, even on a doe kill, and have been shown on video shaking like I was freezing to death after the shot was made on a doe.

I guess I could assume that anyone that keeps it between them and the deer quietly is a jerk off, but then again, that would be ridiculous of me, wouldn't it?