Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nebraska in December 08! >

Nebraska in December 08!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nebraska in December 08!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Nebraska in December 08!

I was finally on my way to NE., a trip Ihad really beenlooking forward to. Halfway across MO. I gave Russ (WWGI who lives in eastern Ne.) a call to see what his schedule was for Saturday morning. He informed me that he did not have to work, so it looked like we would finally meet. Once I was close a quick phone call got me directions to Russ and Patty's house. I recognized the place from pics Russ had sent in the past. Patty cooked up a Great Hot breakfast, and the coffee definitely hit the spot. We shared stories for most of the hour and a half I spent there. I also received a tour of Russ's place and Ireally enjoyed it. Seeing Russ's treestands set in his honeyholes made me want to get after the Merriams, and Muleys even more. As I was getting ready to leave, Russ gave me a custom made Turkey call (it was put to use) Russ I appreciate the call, andthe hospitality. Please tell Patty the Hot Breakfast, and Hot coffee was Great and very much appreciated. Thanks to you both for everything!! It's always nice to meet newpeople, and then leave with newfriends.

Iarrived later that night at the Ranch, and the last 85 miles of my journey saw a 55 degree drop in temperature. When I arrived it was 5 below and before the night was over it would drop to 15 below zero with windchills right at 68 degrees below. The next 3 mornings saw readings below zero of 24, 20, and then 20 degrees below zero again.

Thefirst morning was spent doing some glassing and long range scouting to confirmmovementwas as I expected based on previous times spent hunting this area. It was soon obviousthat I needed to get a couple of Double Bulls set up and put in my time. Trying to set the first DB up it was apparent that these brutal temps were going to test not only my equipment, but my mental and physicalpreparedness and determination to hunt these types of conditions. It was necessary to take the blinds inside the house by the wood fire to warm them up and then quickly pop them up once outside. After that we hauled them to the spots and staked them down.

After setting up a DB in the place I had chosen to begin myDeer hunting I glassed the second canyon and spottedseveral MerriamGobblers at one end and I knew they would work there way to the opposite end before dark to roost in the Big Cottonwood trees at that end. The DBMatrix went upwhere I thought my best chance would beto get within bow range of a Merriam, and with a couple of yelps on the call Russ had given methey detoured right by me.

I had decided before I left home that my new Ross Carnivore 34 would be used on Turkeys.It was equipped with a Hostage Pro rest, HHA OptimizerLite sight,Posten Stabilizer, and wasshootingCX Maximas tipped with 100 grain Grizz Tricks.The Carnivore is a super sweet bow and may very well be a sleeper in the lineup this year. It has a Super Smooth draw, andholds and aims like a rock. It performed flawless even in the sub zero weather I had encountered, and I was able to tag 2 Merriams with it during my hunt.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nebraska in December 08!

The next dayIwas determined to sit all day in a blindas I knew I had no chance if I went back tothe Ol Ranch house, and as it turned out sitting all daywould pay off. On the morning of the second dayin this spotI shota 4X4between 10am and 10:30amwith my BowTech Airborne 82nd equipped with a Limb Driver rest, HHA Optimizer Ultra sight, Octane Stabilizer, and a Mini MeanV suppressor. The 82nd was launching CX Aramids tipped with the New 100 grain Grizz Tricks. It as well as all accessories were up to the task in the subzero temps and placed the arrow exactly where I held my pinat the moment of truth from 27 yards out. I knew when I saw my arrow disappear this Buck only hadsecondsto live.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Another Pic!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep it was a heart shot!!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ready to go to the check-in station!

My Mule Deer Buck, 2 Merriam Gobblers,along with my 10 point IL Whitetail, anda couple of does made for a Full freezer, feathers &Antlers at the taxidermist, anothersuccessful season soon to wind down.

Most of allThanksto God for allowing me to Bowhunt yetanother year!!

Dan

Old 12-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to get it done in brutal cold! I'm not sure I could have stuck it out.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:42 AM
Banned

AWESOME DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS BUDDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I graduated high school from Alliance,NE...how far are you from there? Looks like the Chadron/Harrison area/// I just traded my Tribute for an 82nd and guess what, I will be needing a string suppressor off of you again. Bow will be here by the end of the week I hope. Anyway...way to go!!!Did u use a lil buddy heater? Any pics of your blind setup?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like an awesome hunt! Those temps do sounds brutal...
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on a successful hunt! Way to tough it out in those temps.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Dan that is AWESOME!!!! Congrats to you!! BTW, looking at that heart, you are shooting a little to the right

Quick Reply: Nebraska in December 08!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.