Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Ground stalk on a 11 pt Kentucky buck - Successful (Pics) >

Ground stalk on a 11 pt Kentucky buck - Successful (Pics)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ground stalk on a 11 pt Kentucky buck - Successful (Pics)

Old 12-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ground stalk on a 11 pt Kentucky buck - Successful (Pics)

What an unbelievable afternoon in Kentucky. I was taking it easy today, no hunting and just relaxing at home. I had just woken up from an afternoon nap around 2PM. I walked in towards my kitchen and a flash of white caught my eyes out behind the house. It was a buck, which surprised me since I haven’t seen a buck on the farm in daylight in over a month. As I watched him walk in the back woods, I thought to myself he was nice and how I wished I had been in a tree instead of piled up on the couch. Anyhow, I watched him slowly picking bushes and walking towards my front woods. I decided this may be my only opportunity left this year to fill my Kentucky tag and I’d have to pull a miracle off, but what the heck. I ran into the bedroom, causing a shock to my wife and kids, as I exclaimed big buck, I’m going after him. They looked at the window and watched him as I quickly grabbed a camo jacket, my lovelyorange vest (almost forgot that, MZL weekend in KY)and my muck boots. I ran back into the great room and picked up my new hoyt alpha max and slipped the boot on as I moved towards the front door. I knew that the deer had been moving into the front woodlot then out the back of that lot to bed. So, I decided if I could get around him without being noticed, I might be able to sneak and cut him off. Just for the record, I still had on my gray sweat pants and no socks. I moved down the driveway and noticed him over in the far front of the front woods. I quickly sprinted to the back of the woodlot. The grass is tall in the lot, so I kept low as to not be seen. I climbed up in a 12 foot ladder stand and waited. Again, thinking this is never going to work. I saw the buck about 200 yards away picking and looking around then he disappeared. I waited 20 minutes or so and no movement still. I thought he bedded, so I quickly used my rangefinder to scan the tall grass for a glimpse of rack. There he was, 200 yards bedded downwind and his back to me. Now, I’ve never made a successful stalk on any animal, but if there was ever an opportunity this was it. I climbed down, slipped off my boots, barefooted and made my move. I slow crept step by step, the ground was damp and the birds were chirping, so I thought this is too perfect. I made it to within 60 yards ranged a nearby tree to the deer and nocked an arrow. My heart was racing. There was this big rack just sitting there in the weeds. I took a breath and step by step closed the distance. I last ranged his rack at 24 yards. He raised up and I knelt down almost in disbelief that I could actually be this close to such a buck. He again lowered his head un-alerted to my presence. I took a deep breath, drew and began the final few steps to make sure I could make out his vitals. I got to within 15 yards, saw my opening and a creased leg and let my arrow go. Thwack. He jumped up and I could see the arrow placed perfectly behind his leg. He made it 20 yards and piled up. Holy crap, I couldn’t believe what just happened. I literally ran like a kid to the house. Busted inside to my waiting family and shouted he’s down. Everyone cheered…it was a great moment. I gave him 45 minutes and went back out after him and there he lay.A gorgeous Kentucky 11 pointer, probably close to 148-150 inches that I took barefooted at 15 yards on the ground. I just had to share….I’m still laughing inside. Simply unbelievable. And I know..I’m extremely lucky and proud of it. Enjoy.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ground stalk on a 11 pt Kentucky buck - Successful (Pics)

No grey sweatpants for the picture? [8D]

Great story, congratulations
Old 12-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Matt...you know I'd never hear the end of that one.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:59 PM

That is a hell of an experience congrats
Old 12-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go Kelly, that was as cool as it gets. Congratulations, buy yourself a couple of lotto tickets today. Chris
Old 12-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats...nice job, and awesome deer!

And you NEED a pic with the grey sweatpants...it needs to hang right next to the mount![8D]

ps: You might have just caused half this forum to throw in the towel for this year....LOL
Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a cool story and cool pics! Congratulations to you.

It just goes to show that you have to have some luck mixed in with hard work for everything to work out.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Kelly....you're my hero. After taking it to the ground a few times of late....I can't imagine the emotions you felt during that hunt.

Congratulations on a successful hunt....and for taking such a GREAT animal.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good story. Nice buck. Congrats.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frickin' incredible story!
Wow ~ what a buck.
You better get that horseshoe out of your butt before it starts rusting...

Quick Reply: Ground stalk on a 11 pt Kentucky buck - Successful (Pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.