Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you look ahead too early? >

Do you look ahead too early?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you look ahead too early?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Do you look ahead too early?

The last couple weeks of my season I noticed my brain drifting ahead to next year. I'm kinda always planning and thinking ahead of things I can do different or better for the future. But seems like the last couple weeks (last week especially) I find myself thinking too much of next year and losing sight of this year.

I'm not sure how much it affects my results for the current season but I'm not sure it helps any either. I sit in my stand and when I'm at home thinking about stand locations, different lands, how to hunt the land I'm on better, the rut next year, entry/exit routes next year etc.... everything becomes "next year".

Some of it has to do with frustration and exhaustion setting in. I don't know it just seems like I let my guard down and lose focus on the current season. I find myself thinking too much about how I'm going to scout in the off season and what I want to do next year. Feels like I'm just going through the motions and riding out this year. I know one thing. I don't have the same focus and mindset as I do the first week. I wonder how much it costs me. Anyone else experience this?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Do you look ahead too early?

I always do this. Anticipate what season is ahead...then halfway through it, start daydreaming about the next one. The day I killed my buck this year my mindset switched to spring turkey even though I have 2 doe tags and months of duck and predator calling left.

Like you said, I need to keep focused through the end..doesn't do much good to be thinking ahead to next year when you could be thinking about the current situation.[&:]
Old 12-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago.

After the gun seasons roll through here my schedule does not allow me to hit the woods very often. I have only been able to hunt three times in December. I have already put out cameras in areas that I plan on hunting NEXT year. I have bought 2 new sets so I will be better equipped to hunt more spots, and plan on getting some more.

I have also been trying to aquire hunting rights to land in a neighboring county for next year and pouring over topo maps of the current farm I hunt. I wouldn't say that it takes away the motivation I have for each of my hunts right now. I still make sure I am going through all of my stepsjust like I did on opening day, but as for thinking about next year well that has already sunk in for me as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do this sometimes as well. But I told myself a few days ago I will remain focused down the stretch here. I got into my stand yesterday at 2pm and by 3:30pm I saw what appeared to be a decent buck coming down a draw. Never saw him after that but it shows that the potential to kill a nice one still exists, even out of the rut. But yes, I do begin thinking of the following season sometimes after I become exhausted.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm definately doing that this year. What with my being on new land this year with little chance to scout I've been doing the "next year" thing in my brain all season.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

This past weekend, my cousin and I were talking about turkey season....while we were driving to the farm to deer hunt! [&:] I would say I'm guilty of looking ahead. Mainly for me because I'm going to Illinois fora week next fall. Needless to say, next year can't come fast enough.

BUT...I'll be hunting everyday from this Saturday until January 1st. "He" can step out at any minute. That's my motivation. When I don't want to get up early to hunt, I just tell myself that "he" can show up at any time.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, guilty.

I'm always thinking of ways to improve as well. But I do refocus during those magic last two weeks of season.

One of the things I'm always doing is evaluating my equipment, thinking of how I can improve something, make something easier, etc. I always end up with a few off-season projects to tinker with this way.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't put off til tomorrow what you might get done today. jk That is some song lyric but may hold a little water. Your season could change in one sit, that's what I always think. Probably because it has to for me as I only average 1 sit a month it seems like.

I think it's good to alway analyze my hunting, my areas, new approaches, etc. and to answer your question yes I am guilty of what you describe but the other side of the coin is bad too. ie WhatI find really frustratingthe past couple of seasonsis when you never have time to apply any of scouting, analyzing, ideas, etc. So if you are out there make the best of it if you can.

The past two seasons have beenrough(in a sense)for me as far as time in the woods, no bow kills yet this year(did have some oppurtunities) and even though Igot two blackpowder bucks and a couple of does during general firearms thisseasonI have only been out about 7-8 times since Octoberand have only been once since Nov 18 so I am pretty muchjones-ing for a hunt right now. It's like I'm happy I was mildly successful but at the same time I miss my time in the woods.

Anyway I'm just rambling so good luck with the rest of your season and your prep for next season as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

NO, I have got a lot of hunting to do between now and next deer season! I still have about 3 weeks left for deer, then Coyotes, Fox, Rabbits, Pheasants, Spring turkey and I won a free Traditional gear only Hog Hunt in SC I still need to squeeze in! So I'm still hunting and not looking ahead except to a Traditional Bowhunt for rabbits with some fellow Wi Traditional Hunters in a few weeks! Way to many other critters to hunt before I worry about next year!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

ALWAYS

Im constantly thinking about what im going to do next year and forgetting about this year.

Quick Reply: Do you look ahead too early?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.