Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Help!Need some info >

Help!Need some info

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help!Need some info

Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help!Need some info

Well guys in my last 4 sits I have seen a grand total of 0 deer and very few tracks. This friday I plan on hunting some public land with a buddy of mine in the morning. Anyone else not seeing any deer at all lately? I really want some meat and my first deer but time is winding down. Any advice on what I can do to possibly get a deer down before Dec. 31st would be great.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help!Need some info

just keep at it man.. dont give up an keep huntin hard it will come togther for ya
Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone else not seeing any deer??
Old 12-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hereare my suggestions Joe even though I don't know your hunting area. If you are hunting on heavily hunted land, then you must do a few things to stay ahead of the game. First, if everyone else is hunting 400-600 yards off the road, you must head in deeper that themand get close to thick cover. Second, you must hunt longer than everyone else in the morning, say until at least noon. Other hunters generally quit around 10am and will push deer toward you as they move out of their spots. Three, if you are hunting out of treestand you may have to climb to 20-22 feet to avoid being picked off by deer, especially if they are skiddish. And if you cannot or don't want to climb that high, at least face your stand so that the deer are coming in from behind the tree you are sitting in. That will at least give you some cover by placing the tree between you and the deer. Four, get in early, at least 1 hour before sun-up and just sit quietly. That will help the deer settle down a bit and when the other hunters start walking into the woods around sun-up(around 7ish), the deer will feel safer moving in your direction as your area will be settled down and quiet. BEST of luck to you and let us know how you did.