Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Amazing evening......but its tough. >

Amazing evening......but its tough.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Amazing evening......but its tough.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Amazing evening......but its tough.

Wow, what an amazing afternoon of hunting. I left home sort of late and arrived at my parking place around 2:20PM. After throwing on the rest of my hunting clothes, putting the Lone Wolf climber on my back and grabbing the bow I proceeded along the edge of the large wheat field heading south. I knew I was pressing my luck with a north wind at my back, but saving grace was no deer were out yet and I had woods to my east and woods to my west. Not sure exactly as to where to climb just yet, I decided to go on to the back of the property. After finding and climbing a tree facing north toward the field I knew nothing would come out from behind with that wind, but thought I'd have a better chance of getting a shot if deer came from the west woods or east woods.

About 45 minutes after setting up out came deer west of me about 80 yards, 3 bucks. But they all headed straight north while feeding. Soon after came 2 more bucks heading the same direction....right into the wind, they would not feed crosswind[]. Here are 5 bucks and 3 of them are shooters all heading northwest of me slowly feeding and headed toward the sandy farmlane. 3 of the bigger bucks started jousting, not seriously but bam! One good hit and tickling of the tines for a good 10 minutes. It was really cool to hear the antlers as while as watching them. By this time they are at least 100 yards away and all I can do is watch. A little later a small doe offered a 20 yard shot and another at 30 yards, but with those bucks being in the vicinity there was no way I was pulling down on a doe.

All in all before I got down there were 15 deer in the wheat field, 5 bucks with 3 of them definite shooters, 130-145 class bucks. Now I had to figure out how to get the hell out of there without spooking everything away! I had some help just before last light. A truck came down the lane and seemed to turn around where I had parked. This truck never stopped but just seeing any sign of humans made all the deer leave the field and head towards the woods to the west. Now was the time to go and I took advantage of it while darkness surrounded me. I walked straight down the middle of the wheat field and headed to my truck.

What a great evening, but it sure is tough hunting right now. Too many eyes, noses, and ears but I loved every minute of it.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:19 PM

Default RE: Amazing evening......but its tough.

You saw alot more action than me!!

Sounds like a great evening to be in the stand
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

sounds like a great evening
Old 12-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a great time. Had an amazing night as well even though I didn't bag anything. Saw a great buck but just a little out of range. Sure got the blood pumpin!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yeah I forgot. A buddy was in the truck driving around after he got off work. Talked to him at his house later and he appologized. He hadn't seen my truck. I told him it was all good, he might have pushed something to me. But not.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you know where to hang the stand tomorrow???
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you know where to hand the stand tomorrow???
I had one hung a couple weeks ago where they(bucks) entered the field today, but with the north wind I am positive they would not have entered the field as my scent would have blown straight at them. Hopefully the wind cooperates and is from the south, sw, or se......then I can hunt that spot. These deer just do not tolerate anything.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome story, good luck getting one of them. Man I can't even imagine seeing 5 bucks at this time of year, let alone 3 of them being shooters.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

Those are the kind of hunts that make it all worthwhile. How many times have you sat out there and froze your butt off and saw nothing? Too many! These are the kind of nights that keep us going back for more!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's good to hear cougar, you got me rareing to get back in the stand this weekend. It can be like that this time of year. Either you see all of the deer in the woods or nothing at all.

Quick Reply: Amazing evening......but its tough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.