Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Success = Controversy >

Success = Controversy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Success = Controversy

Old 12-17-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Success = Controversy

This thread got sparked from the "True Confessions" thread someone else posted earlier. I've been thinking about this for a while and was wondering if others have had to deal with this where they live.

I consider myself a good hunter and I have several, six to be exact, whitetail mounts to prove my success. I hunt hard and put my time in the woods every year. I scout almost all year long, trail cams, etc. You guys know, many of you do the same thing. I'm also very fortunate to have over 600 acres of prime PA whitetail habitat to hunt. It's owned by my family and we've practiced QDM religiously for about 15 years or so. For PA, a 120" buck is considered a big one. It's not unusual for us to have several 140" or better bucks on our property every year. So yes, we have a big buck haven here and I am fortunate enough to hunt it every year.

In my town and area, a lot of people know me and know what I've done hunting. I get a lot flack from guys for being successful consistantly. I've been called everything from a poacher to well.....you can imagine. I've been accused of shooting deer with a rifle in archery season, baiting, jacklighting, you name it. I used to let it roll off my back. I know the truth and I know I've hunted my butt for those deer. But after a while, it really gets to me I guess. Its a shame people can't be happy for others' success.

So my question is. How many of you have ever dealt with or deal with this type of thing and how do you react to people's accusations?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Success = Controversy

Yep....it doesn't bother me though because I know what kind of people they are.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

I have family property in LA. I don't catch alot from taking big deer, but we have/had a problem with poachers. I used to get alot of grief because my neighbors said I was "letting it happen". How? I don't know. I work in Wildlife Enforcement and have done everything possible to prevent this, even called in favors. It's better now but I still have sketchy relations withmy neighbors.

While not exactly the same as your scenario, people need to back off and realise that it is none of their buisness. Why should they be worried about your deer? Why should they give me grief?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got it a little bit a couple years ago, but nothing since then that I know of.

BTW lets see those mounts
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Like that thread.....I have NO problems admitting that the grounds I hunt are a big factor in my success (in terms of sheer numbers killed).

Yeah. I get it (what you describe). "Tame deer". "Playground". "Suburban Deer". I've had enough guys here (HNI) hunt with me for me to let that bother too much, though. Keep it factual.....and I'll discuss my grounds all day long with anyone.

I've been accused of hunting the parks system, here (illegal). Taking too many deer (hard to do with unlimited doe tags). Hunting private grounds without permission......the full gamut.

I suppose it's human nature to question what we don't understand or can't comprehend (like maybe the 'other guy' is outworking you).

Like I said....I hae no issues talking factual information about where I hunt. I welcome it....and readily admit it's a HUGE factor in my success.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:51 AM
Typical Buck

Ive dealt with it before, maybe not everyone in town saying something to me considering i live in an area of 4million people. For the most part I only show my friends that hunt with me, I just dont like dealing with it. Not to mention people around here are always trying to figure out where you hunt. told a guy once, week latera land owner called me asking if i got a new truck, that guy was in my stand. I keep things on the hush the best i can. I know people are jealous creatures, no need to get them going.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are some guys out there that feel like they are doing everything possible that they should be doing to have success. So when someone else has greater success than them and they feel like they've done everything they can then the other guy must be cheating somehow.

My buddy and I are to the point where we basically only trust each other when it comes to tracking and dragging deer because we know if we share that information with others their trucks will be in there soon. It happened to him last year where he was telling a few friends about a buck he shot over a few beers and one of those guys shows up (not public land) within 3 days.

Then there are the accusations that start flying and it's just not worth it. To top it all off, the bucks we are shooting aren't even monsters either, but we are getting them and others aren't so we must be cheating.[:@]
Old 12-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Only on this site, and I am paitently waiting for my chance at rebutal.

Quick Reply: Success = Controversy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.