Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

getting started

Old 01-22-2002, 08:25 PM

Default getting started

I want to get into bowhunting this year. I have never shot a bow and need advice on bows,arrows,etc. A couple of people where I work has told me that to get set up with a real good outfit it would run me around six to seven hundred dollars,is this true. Please,I need some advice.Thanks so much.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:59 PM

Default RE: getting started

Scooter22, Good to see you want to get into bowhunting. Sure a good outfit will run you 600-700. But you can also get a good outfit for a whole heck of a lot cheaper. I personally would not recommend getting the top of the line bow to start out with. You don't even know if you will like it yet. Save a little money, buy a cheaper bow (they shoot good too), practice, practice, practice, hunt, practice more and if you get hooked, then you can upgrade. Good luck finding a bow and good luck hunting.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:01 PM

Oh, I forgot, it's best to stop into a pro-shop. You have to get fitted for a bow.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:18 PM

My only suggestion to you is, get good arrow's. By good arrows I mean carbon arrows, they don't have to be the most expensive one's going, but you will have great benifits with a good arrow.
Good luck and I think highcountry has some good outtfitted bows for cheap, as does darton, PSE and others which I can't remember. You will love bowhunting, I can't get enough of it so Im becoming an outfitter, I live in the city right now and feel like I have cabin fever all the time.
Good luck, good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 01-22-2002, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hoyt also makes some good economical bow packages for beginners and they have some of the same high quality components as the more expensive models.

I would suggest that you go to a pro shop and get some hands on teaching from some experienced shooters and to get fit for a bow properly.DO NOT JUST BUY THE CHEAPEST USED BOW YOU CAN FIND,chances are the bow will not fit you and with your inexperience,you will not know the difference.

Once you have been fitted and are shooting the bow with the help of an experienced shooter,ask for dates and locations of some local 3d shoots.This is the best way to get useful field practice and there are many classes and a lot of people that would be willing to help you out.Don't be intimidated and once you go out,you will be glad you did and a lifetime passion will have begun.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I highly suggest a good proshop to help start you out, you need to be fitted for draw length, and the advice and setup you get from a good proshop is priceless! You should be able to get started for for less than 600 bucks, infact with careful selection you should be able to get fully outfitted with a pretty good setup for around 400 or so. I don't live all that far from you, if you need some help and don't mind driving I could give you a hand. Either way I think you will like bowhunting it is addicting! If you would like some help just drop me an eimail, I will see what I can do.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-23-2002, 09:25 AM

One other thing you might want to check out is a local archery club. There will be a lot of people there that would be happy to help you out. Some of them might even let you shoot there bows to see if you like them.

BulletBob456
Old 01-23-2002, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scooter,
I just bought my first bow. I can't agree strongly enough about the pro shop purchase. I bought a Vapor 300 & accessories for $575. This included measuring me & setting up everything. I was taken to their range & got help starting to shoot. All told Jason spent 2 hours w/ me. That's service you won't get from a catalog!! If you can get to 5 shot, GO. The help I've received from other shooters @ the range is invaluable. Good luck & have fun, I sure do!!

Edited by - pdq 5oh on 01/23/2002 17:24:45
Old 01-23-2002, 09:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Scooter,Plenty of good advice already given that is for sure.Here are some things to look out for.

1.The guy that tells you "this is the only one worth having" translation= I shoot and it works for me.

There are plenty of good bows/arrows to choose from take your time and shoot a few.Hopefully you have a few Proshops to choose from in your area.Visit them all before making your decision.Here's a tip leave your money at home,when you make your first round of trips to the proshops.that way you won't get talked into putting money down by some good salesman.

2.All the hype you'll read in mags about this bow or that bow being the most accurate.The big company's employ the best shooters for a reason.It doesn't matter if I shoot my Hoyt well if it doesn't feel right to you.

Have fun you'll end up loving the sport.Careful it can be addictive.

55#recurve,Why do you feel that carbons are the only good arrows?
Old 01-23-2002, 09:45 AM

I just got into the sport myself. I bought a Buck Bow (Champion) I put good sights on it, a good stabilizer and Rest. I bought Easton 2117 arrows to start (you just might bend a couple) and I was into it for under $500. I have never had so much enjoyment shooting anything ever. Well worth the investment.

Quick Reply: getting started

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.