Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What did you learn this past season? >

What did you learn this past season?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What did you learn this past season?

Old 04-07-2003, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What did you learn this past season?

I was curious about what we all learned about bowhunting whitetails this last year. I' ve learned something every year, sometimes it' s about deer sometimes about my equipment I use, about the weather, or it could be something you learned about yourself. I was hoping you folks would share something with us you' ve picked up in last years season.

I figured out two things:
1. My mathews q2 shoots better and smoother if I don' t crank it all the way down.

2. I discovered a long funnel for the deer. It' s a patch of woods not 30 yards wide but a 1/4 mile long and borders a railroad track on one side and fields and woods on the other. The funnel is really thick but can be hunted. The deer are using it to get across the farm and to feed in the fields on the farm. I never considered it because it was so thick, narrow, and long but it was full of deer this last fall. I didn' t really hunt it in bow season because it was too late by the time I figured it out. This year I' ve got to figure out a way to hunt it without scaring the deer and stopping them from using it. I' ve been scouting around the edges.

What have you learned in the pass year?
Old 04-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What did you learn this past season?

heh! This last season was my first hunt... I saw 2 deer at around 200 yds away.

I learned:

1-) Patience

2-) pack warmer clothes

3-) don' t use foot warmers in your gloves, i got blisters they were so hot! []

4-) I LOVE DEER HUNTING. Got nothing my first year but loved everything about it and will probably be going for the rest of my life...! that' s the plan anyway.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:48 PM

I am definitely going to stick with hunting oak ridges. I found one last year with a good mass. I hunted it alot, and saw several different bucks, several dozen does, and seven bear.

I also learned I am against baiting since it was outlaw' d last year. I feel I saw more deer because the deer were not being hoged and baited to stay on private land.

Learned alot, like I do every year......
Old 04-07-2003, 01:08 PM

Equipment : I learned not to throw new plastic broadhead packages in your case .
Some of my packages(not broadheads) moved around during the roadtrip to AL and ended up cutting my string during transit. After a panic attack I went and had a new string put on. I only shot 2 sessons and re-sighted both times as the string was stretching. Feeling confident after the second session I went hunting and shot 2 deer in 2 days and hit both high behind the shldr just below the spine(lost both-although I feel one definately would' ve recovered ).I found out it was shooting high after the second deer [:@] ! I will never go about that the same way again or put anything loose in my case again!!

Hunting : I learned that years of hard work and stand placement work out well with little hunting pressure. I visited my home state of AL only a few times to hunt last season. On 7 actual hunts I shot 6 deer with my bow ......and passed up several others !!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:18 PM

I learned never to let my brother pick my stand site!
Old 04-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve learned no matter how long you' ve been doing this, or how many deer you shoot, you can never take things for granted. Deer don' t read books to know what they are supposed to do, and sometimes your eyes see things different than how they actually happened. When making a difficult track job, stop, relax, step out of the situation(mentally) and then come back fresh.

And I also found a couple new hunting spots that I' ll visit next season.
Old 04-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-07-2003, 03:03 PM

Shoot when you have the chance. This year i let a 7pt w/ aprox. 13 inch spread walk by at 24 paces out in the bean field. I did not take the shot becuase the opening i had was about 5 yards long and he was not stopping for anything. I descided to pass the shot because it was the 1st week of season. I didnt c him agian :-(
Old 04-07-2003, 03:05 PM

Nick... Its called a " muff" and indeed they are nice
Old 04-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wimp, I couldn' t agree more. This year I learned to be ready for anything, because you just never know. I also learned in hunting no matter how much a situation seems like a sure thing, there are no guarantees.

Quick Reply: What did you learn this past season?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.