Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Can you tell the difference? >

Can you tell the difference?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Can you tell the difference?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Can you tell the difference?

I was just wondering if there was a way to tell the difference between a doe track and a buck track, this may seem like a stupid question, but I have always wondered if there was a way if there is one.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Can you tell the difference?

size and depth
Old 12-16-2008, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Greg:

Honest question....

Would size/depth tell you the difference between a 150# 4.5yr old doe and a 150# 2.5yr old buck?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Greg:

Honest question....

Would size/depth tell you the difference between a 150# 4.5yr old doe and a 150# 2.5yr old buck?
I agree with Jeff, so you see a track from a 4.5 year old doe and a 1.5 year old buck, size/depth would show you the which was which? I have me doubts matey!

There is TWO sure fire ways to tell the difference. First, see the deer that made the track...LOL

And second, their walk. A bucks chest is wider than his hips and when deer walk they commonly put their back hoof in the print of the front hoof, being a bucks hips are narrower than it's chest, the second track will lay inside the first track.

Conversely with does, a does hips are wider than her chest (breeding) and her second track will lay outside her first track.

Other than that, both doe and buck have dew claws and may sink in snow and mud depending on the age structure of the deer.

Some go as far as say drag marks, although bucks are lazier than does, I don't find that to be full proof in an old doe and young buck.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good stuff Rob. I've also read somewhere that a bucks hoof prints will be more spread out toward the tips than a doe. Not sure how much faith you can put into that one.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Site Buck Guru

Generally, bucks (mature) have wider feet with rounded toes. They wear the tips of their toes (fronts especially) from all the traveling they do looking for does. Their track is set wider apart than a narrow chested doe and they usually drag their feet. Does usually step into their front foot tracks with their rear feet whereas bucks don't. Does have narrow, sharp pointy tracks.Sometimes a real big buck will criss-cross their feet as they walk, sort of like a swagger. Almost like their big belly swings them from side to side............. sort of how I walk!!??
Old 12-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Does usually step into their front foot tracks with their rear feet whereas bucks don't.
Hey Rob....I'v eheard this as well. Who knows?

Honestly....unless I'm at a creek crossing....I actually never look at individual tracks. Maybe I should.....
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys i really appreciate it
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I stand corrected and learned something.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

They wear the tips of their toes (fronts especially) from all the traveling they do looking for does.
I don't buy into this theory. A doe doesthis (wears the tips of her hooves) as well.Granted, a buck does considerabletraveling during the rut, butthat period is short lived. I would say overall, a doe travels more than the average buck does throughout the year. JMHO

Quick Reply: Can you tell the difference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.