Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much do you guys spend >

How much do you guys spend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much do you guys spend

Old 12-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much do you guys spend

Ok guys as it seems alot of people are winding down on the hunting season and talking about their new bows or next years setup. I have to ask. How much do you all spend each year on bows and accesories. Not including arrow. I spent $300 this year on a new compound and it was hard to justify. My last was $100 14 -15 years and many deer ago. I would not have bought the new one had the old one not finaly started to develop cracks in the limb (actually the cam pocket brace, hard to explain) How do you justify a new bow every year.

I think its cool you guys can. It just a ton of money every year and I'd have a hard time spending some of the numbers I have heard every year...or even every other year. And some poeple are buying multiple bows.

Come on guys share the wealth with me! LOL Just kidding. So is it just having the newest thing. And are bows the only thing you do this with or are you buying new stuffoften with other stuff like cars, houses, wives....LOL Just wondering.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How much do you guys spend

I went through several bows in short time. I've ought 4 new hunting bows in 4 seasons....but I've come full circle and own one I've previously shot (the BT Ally). I've gone through several arrow setups.....a couple sights......two rests......and 2-3 releases.....3-4 stabilizers.....several BH choices.......looking for "the one".

I crammed a few years of this into a short time, though....and think I've found "the one" (setup) I'll have for a few years (3-4). I don't see buying anything but arrows and BH's for the next few seasons. I'm content (once I feel secure with the new BH choice).

Nothing against buying a new bow/rest/sight/etc....evey year. Good for them (those who do so).

Old 12-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was the type to own a new bow every year or two at most. I went through them pretty quickly a couple years back. That was until I got my hands on my 07 Bowtech Allegiance. I am not giving this one up. It simply shoots very well for me and is as fast or faster than most of the new bows all things being equal.

Of course getting married and having a child on the way really puts a damper on a lot of things too.

That and the fact that these companies are asking WAY too much for these things now. It really is getting far out of hand. When I first got into this "addiction" with bows, I went and bought a brand new Hoyt Cybertec in I believe 2001. I paid 525.00 for it. Now, the new top end bows from the same company are 800. In seven years, they've almost doubled in price. It is ridiculous.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:34 AM

Alot of the guys trade up each year, which isn't as bad as buying new each year. If you keep your accessories, you can usually trade up a previous year model for 200ish bucks, 300 tops.

I too felt I would keep my bow for a LONG time, but Hoyts new offering this year really has me thinking. Whenever they begin to sell used this spring/summer, I better not stumble across a decent deal, because I will trade up for an alphamax if the price is right.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

This year I spent about $90 on a new sight, but sold my old sight for $30... so not too much... I do all my own arrow work and last year I bought 3 doz. shafts on Ebay for 45/doz so I'm set for a while on that.

My bow was purchased in summer05, so this was my 4th season w/ it. I hope to get another season or two out of it. My only anticipated expense this year will be a new string... but thats a maybe.

Getting married, buying a house, another car, and having a kid basically destroyed my hunting budget, plus I spent some decent coin on crabbing gear this year. But that pays for itself quickly when crabs are going for 165 a bushel, I caught probably 1500 worth of crabs last summer . Thankfully when I was single I had enough extra cash flow to get myself set up for a long time. Plus I use my credit card rewards for gear at Cabelas & Dickssporting goods, which is usually $300 + a year
Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

For many years I hunted with lower-mid end gear & held on to bows for 8 years or so. But as time goes by and I got better jobs, more money became available to spend on what I enjoy. I've nowbought 5 bows in 3 years. But I had limb problems with one which forced me to buy the next one(07 Ally) I loved that one so much I bought a 2nd one but with lighter limbs. Both Allegiences were bought used and Igot decent deals on them so its not too bad. I still don't shell out a lot of money on accessories. I have bought some additional camo, targets & treestands the last couple seasons too. I hope that I have no issues with my Allys cause I really like them and don't want to buy any more bows for a while.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM

I'vebought 4bows in the last 20 years. I tend to keep them for awhile even though I feel like a kid in the candy storeevery time I go to the bow shop.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

rybo, them Ally's are sweeties aren't they? I believe its still the best bow Bowtech has ever built.

As far as accessories go, I will usually do a lot of research before buying anything. I make purchases on these items based off of a lot of research. Example, my Spot Hogg sight. Lets face it, 150+ dollars for a site is a lot of jing to put down for a sight. But, I didn't hesitate because I knew, based off of lots of research that this would be a sight that will last a long time.

I'm very hesitant to buy the latest, greatest thing that comes out. I usually wait to see what others say about it first, then make a decision. Every year, we get bombarded with the "must have" equipment of the year. For me, last year it was the Octane quivers. While nice, I didn't see where it would outperform my Alpine.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not as much as I would like to In all seriousness, at 24 yrs old, I'm just now getting to the point in my life where I'm making a solid income, but with that comes the marriage this year and a new house/land, so buying will be down this year. Up to this point, I didn't go too crazy with my spending, because I couldn't. My first bow was purchased by my father when I was 13 (Golden Eagle Talon). I hunted with that for a while, then in 2000 I was given a Jennings Buckmaster 2000 for Christmas. I hunted with that bow up until the 2006 season, when I bought my Ross CR334, then hunted with that for one season, sold it in favor of my current 101st airborne because I was making the switch to left handed. I did spend more on arrows, sights, releases, etc, because I wanted to have quality gear, but I haven't upgraded frequently, and I doubt I will much in the near future. If I could, however, you bet your butt I would be I love trying out new gear.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to switch things up once in a while becuase it keeps things fresh. Since the fall hunting seasons seem to come and go so quickly, it gives me an opportunity to 'still feel like I'm doing something' to tide me over until the next hunting trip....It's just something fun for me to do - something I enjoy.

Some years I'm more aggressive than others. Maybe just a new rest or sight, try some different arrows etc. - if I havemore than expectedextra money, then I may end up making some larger purchases....

Quick Reply: How much do you guys spend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.