Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trail cameras.......necessary? >

Trail cameras.......necessary?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail cameras.......necessary?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Trail cameras.......necessary?

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

"Un-necessary"??? Yea, but they sure are alot of fun to check, its like christmas every time
This is the same way I look at it.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

My scouting is as follows:
Spring groundpounding
Summer Glassing
Trailcams
Trailcams
Trailcams
Trial and error

Old 12-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Banned

I'm with ya..i m old school.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Trail cameras are for lazy wimps.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

"Un-necessary"??? Yea, but they sure are alot of fun to check, its like christmas every time
Yep, I'm like a kid In a candy store. I get excited!!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Not to me at all. Not trying to start an argument, just good old discussion. I don't have any and don't plan on it although I think it would be cool to check out the pics on the property I hunt. But I find them unnecessary, I really do.
A lot of people do, but I like to get pics of deer/bear/bobcat/coyote/elk/squirrels/skunks ext... You never now what will be one them! I love em!
Old 12-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

id definitely say they are unnecessary....

though, like spotlighting, guys use them as a scouting tool...and IMO some rely on spotting or cameras a bittttt too much...but thats their deal....i wont bash anyone for however they choose to scout...

my buddy had a camera behind his camp pretty much all summer...over 100lbs of eared corn and a salt block with and without "topper"...mostly big woods...be a good mile or 2 by way the crow flys to crops...not much mast....the feeder and salt block SHOULD have been a hit....

but in reality, he got 3 different bucks on film and a couple does...ALOT of bear pics though....i think atleast 5 different bear...2 of the bucks didnt show until late oct...rifle season came and every deer killed and all the bucks seen werent the ones on camera! we IDed atleast 5 other bucks that he never got a picture of...and i seen a ton of doe....why they werent at the feeder i have no idea....camp wasnt used very much...a weekend here and there...he would swing by and check the camera and fill the feeder...

same with spotting...guys dont see what they are looking for and keep going...

cant RELY on those tactics IMO...useful tools...but shouldnt be the ONLY tools....

around here, our bigger bucks get smart QUICK and dont come out till after 11pm(our spotting is only allowed up till 11pm) coon hunting at night, we see the spotting pressure and how it effects the bigger bucks....ive talked to many random bowhunters that are ONLY hunting areas because they seen a biggun spotting or got it on camera....and the same goes for why they arent hunting other areas..because they didnt see much spotting and didnt get anything worth hunting on camera....doesnt bother me none....i'll hunt where i feel confident in....sometimes that is where i see the biggun while coonhunting and were not breaking laws when we see the bigguns spotting....we arent purposely looking for deer after 11...hunting with the farmer and hunting the farmers dog has its perks...like being allowed to drive in the fields and on the tractors paths...i cant help deer happen to be in the headlights..or happen to be in my path as im walking with my headlamp on...
Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

X2..... buddies I hunt with have them. I like seeing the pics BUT would rather spend the money on stands.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sandilands

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

X2..... buddies I hunt with have them. I like seeing the pics BUT would rather spend the money on stands.
What about them bear pics you showed me? Your buddy's trail camera then?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Necessary... no. Not for me, I like being in the woods doing my own scouting and seeing what's around first hand!
What, like spooking them first hand? A trail cam lets you know what's around your area(like at night when most big bucks move) when you're NOT there. It's been my experience that the flash doesn't spook bucks either, as I've got several pics of the same buck at the same site.
Seeing what's in your area (deer you wouldn't know are there without pics from the cam) gives you the insight/ability to let lesser bucks walk in hopes of taking amuch betterbuck.

Quick Reply: Trail cameras.......necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.