Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Electronic Check Stations >

Electronic Check Stations

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Electronic Check Stations

Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Electronic Check Stations

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

Illinois has had the phone and internet checking systems since 2005. I have used both the phone and the internet and never had a problem with either one. However, I believe that there are several pitfalls associated with both. First, you are leaving it up to hunter's and tape measure to report to the state the age of the deer being harvested. The second problem and biggest IMO is the fact that the phone and internet checking systems make it very easy to violate Illinois' two buck per season rule. It would be very easy (and I know people who have done it) to kill a smaller buck (one that would not be going to the taxi) and call and report it as a doe. Once you have the confirmation number on the tag, you are able to cape the deer out and take it to a processor or whatever else you are wanting to do with it. These are just a few problems I see with not have actual check-in stations.

I've run into the same problem. I was talking to a friend of a hunting buddy of mine ( I had just met the guy) and we were talking about how our seasons were going. I told him I killed a two does with my bow so far and one with my gun. I said that I'd seen some bucks but nothing I wanted to kill and that because I didn't shoot a buck with my gun I had two buck tags left for the remainder of the archery season. He said he also had two left but had just told me earlier that he's shot a "nice buck" with his bow. I asked how he hadtwo buck tags left when in Illinois you are only able to kill two bucks total no matter what weapon used. He said (with a smirk) that the buck he killedhe called in as a button buck (less than three in antlers and you can use your antler less tag) so he tagged it with an antler less tag! I just shook my head, told him that wasn't rightand walked away.[:@]

I think it happenes way more that we think![:'(]
Old 12-15-2008, 04:43 PM

itll be easier for us - theyll still do there thing its usually only the real dipshits that are caught anyways. and im sure theyll keep finding ways to be dumber next year !
Old 12-15-2008, 04:46 PM

Big J

oh yeah - i know way more guys that do it than dont. too bad most of em have kids too - next generations already learnin the ropes ![:@]