Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arm Guards

Old 12-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arm Guards

Late last month while hunting on a cold, drizzly evening I was trying to fill my doe tag. I was wearing my heavy hunting/rain coat and a RealTree compression sleeve on my bow arm. Upon the shot, my bow string raked down the compression sleeve and the 15 yd shot struck the doe right in the shoulder, possibly hitting the shoulder blade and the penetration was very minimal. I was using a Rage 2-blade and shooting 62#. I observed the doe for over 100 yds running full tilt with the arrow quite visibly hanging off her right shoulder. I found a fairly steady blood trail which I followed approximately another 150 yds before the rain finally washed any sign away. I never did find the doe or my arrow. This is the first time this has happened to me and as best I can remember it is the first time I had shot a deer in the cold while wearing this particular heavy coat. I know I will deservedly catch H... from you for not practicing while wearing my heavy clothing but I am convinced the compression sleeve did not provide enough protection for my arm. I purchased another type arm guard that I can pull quite tight but have not yet had a chance to test it out while wearing my coat.
I have learned my lesson all too well about practicing in ALL of your hunting clothes and hope this incident serves as a reminder to all bowhunters. I have beat myself up pretty badly over this.
The deer deserve better.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Arm Guards

It happens. Though I've been practicing quite a bit with my cold weather gear on, and doing it from various angles trying to imitate possible shots from a stand I slap my arm once in a while. I just ordered and recieved a compression sleeve from Cableas called Camoskin armguard. Haven't tried it out yet.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Let me know how that works out for you. I purchased a cheapie arm guard but it has a rather slick finish and I thought perhaps if I did hit my arm the string would slide along it better than grab onto it like did with the compression sleeve. The string felt like it was ripping the sleeve off my arm when I hit it. I was surprised I even hit the deer.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have found that an STS has eliminated the need for an arm guard.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I have found that an STS has eliminated the need for an arm guard.
x2

I still always wear my Realtree E-Z Sleeve, because it is trendy.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use to wear one when I shot a compound. I now shoot a recurve and haven't wore one for 14 years, even with the big heavy clothes on. I can't stand the feel of them so I was glad that I didn't need one anymore.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted in COLD temps and haven't had to use an armguard yet.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Possibly shorten your draw .5" if you are having trouble hitting your arm? Maybe take off the dloop for now? Personally ive never had any trouble hitting my arm with a bow, but i do understand it happens. I could see myself getting popped if my draw was longer where my bow arm was overextended but I have never seemed to have that problem. Sorry to hear about the doe, adn I hope you finger out a good solution.
good luck,
Derek