Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 (NON) pass-thru issues.... >

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

(NON) pass-thru issues....

Old 12-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: (NON) pass-thru issues....

HCH, no offense meant but whose the girl in the pic under your name? Girlfriend, daughter? Yeah I'm being nosey[8D].

Back to the passthrough thread................
Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I've killed 20 deer in the last 3 seasons.....and had (let me think).......less than 1/2 achieve a pass-thru where the arrow was stuck in the ground at the POI.

As far as the size of our deer, here.....I can't kill what isn't here. I'll match what I've taken with most hunting similar grounds. I've taken6 bucks here that were between 170-200#'s......and I've taken only one (injured) 1.5 yr oldbuck (out of 7 taken).

For reference on the pass-thrus.....I made shots this year (without pass-thrus) of 8yds, 23yds, 10yds, 5yds, 32yds and 5yds. NOT ONE was a complete pass-thru (where the arrow was sticking in the ground).Not one of these shots.....am I ashamed of (actually proud of every one...and I have photos to substantiate why I am). Not one. Something's gotta change....andI'll start at the end of my arrow for '09.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Banned

Jeff, You have done good with your kills and your hunting..not arguing..but I feel I could stick a piece of flint arrowhead on my arrow and get a complete passthru everytime..bows are fast and deer are fragile..It baffles me. You shootin spitfire gobbler getters with a treble hook mounted on the end?
Old 12-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

She is my exwife, my girlfriend, buddy, and my best fishin friend.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do see where HCH is comming from...my recurve passed my arrow through on friday...[&:]
Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm with Hardcore. I don't remember the last time I DIDN'T have a pass through and I'm talking distances out to 40 yards. Fixed heads just get it done. There are a ton of them that do the job. I shot Thunderheads for a lot of years. The last couple I've shot the Shuttle T. Muzzy and a few others would do just fine also.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:54 PM

I just killed my 5th deer on Fri afternoon, a huge doe about 120 lbs, again I shot this deer in the spine....this is the 3 rd time I have made this shot this year...Im shooting a rage 2 blade and i can't understand what is going on...Im not doing it on purpose....I did not get a pass thru obviously on those 3 deer, I did get a pass thru on 2 of the 5 deer with the rage 2 blade....Yes, they leave a huge hole, and if I hd been shooting a fixed blade on those three spine shots, I wouldn't have killed them I don't think...I think the wide cutting dia clipped the nerves in the spine....still, not what I want...I can't say that the Rages have been out of this world,but they have done the job....however, I like pass thrus, and when and if i can get a shot at deer that is perfectly broadside at 20-25 yds and shoot it with the rage I will let you know about pass thrus for them...I never had the issue with Muzzy..I may go back to the Muzzy next yr or i may stick with the Rage....but I do want pass thrus, it's better, why would anyone not want them??
Old 12-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only passthrough I didn't get in the last 5 years was on the buck I just got. I hit his front leg on the oppisite side but the broadhead made it through the bone. Are you hitting alot of bones.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Dominant Buck

bows are fast and deer are fragile
Don...

I shoot the same bow brand you do.....except mine's faster and probably producing more KE.

Doe No. 1....shot at 8yds from 23' up. As you can see....I got an exit wound....but no solid pass-thru. The arrow was broken inside the doe.

Entrance

Exit

Doe no. 2....again...entrance and exit wound....but never found the arrow. She was found about 50-60yds from the POI. The off side of this doe revealed the liver was hit, also.

Doe no. 3.....shot at 10yds from 23' up. I found the arrow about 10yds from the POI.

Doe no. 4 was shot from 5yds at 23' up. Heart shot her....but the arrow was broken inside her and I never found the BH end.

Again....I'm not exactly shoulder shooting these deer.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe your too high up? You are going through a lot more "deer" at steeper angles I would say...

Quick Reply: (NON) pass-thru issues....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.