Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do if you were mounting it? >

What would you do if you were mounting it?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do if you were mounting it?

Old 12-12-2008, 10:01 PM

Default What would you do if you were mounting it?

I shot a really nice buck on 12/6 (well nice for our area)

The thing is, it has 4 broken tines on it, as you can see from the photos below, it is pretty busted up.

However I do have documentation of what it looked like before he started snapping tines. A couple of the shots I have below are from a video camera, so even though the still shots didn't turn out really well, I think a taxidermist should be able to recreate the points if they could see the video.

Now my dilemma is do I leave him the way he is? or do I take him back to the way he was?

The character of the buck the way he is right now feeds into the bruiser aspect that I think he was, when I shot him, he had blood on his antlers, a big deep cut over one eye and a couple puncture marks on his neck.

But the missing G4 and crab claw on the end of the same beam along with the long browtines really made him unique also.....

Well take a look at what he is, and what he was, and let me know what you think......

You can see where he broke off two tines on his left beam, one a normal looking G4, the other was a tine that protruded to the inside of his spread.

Here you can see what remains of his browtines.

This photo is here for those of you that liked my shed photos so much with the dollar for scale, wife is doing laundry so I could take the picture on her washing machine

This is a still shot off of the video I have of him, taken on opening day 9-13
You can sort of see two tines out on the end of the beam, if you could see the video they show up better but trying to advance it and pausing didn't produce very good still shots. (for those that are curious, this was taken at about 90-100 yards out, and me trying to hold the camera still, I wasn't very successful stopping the jitters......)

The final picture is of him in velvet, showing off is browtines, they really didn't grow noticeably longer, but they never matched the mass of his other tines. (photo 8-13, about a month before I took the video)

Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What would you do if you were mounting it?

Personally, id leave it buddy, it all adds up to the character of the buck he was and the way he was when you harvested him. Either way hes a great buck.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now my dilemma is do I leave him the way he is? or do I take him back to the way he was?
Mount him the way he was when you shot him. Easy decision for me!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang! He knocked off all of his character! As with just about everything, it comes down to what makes you happy. Obviously you seriously thinking about so I would assume your already leaning on one side of the fence anyways.

Pesonally, if it was me, I would probably have them rebuilt. From the sounds of it your not entering him anyways and he did do some major damage to those brows. The pictures you have will be more than enough for any good taxidermist to work from.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:14 PM

As is, As is...I'm not fond of fixing those broken brows, adding back on a inch to a g2. I like them on the wall like the day they were harvested, that's all part of the hunt. It's too bad, but I'd have to say mount him how he is. If he were scored today by a licensed scorer he wouldn't add those broken tines back on, he would score it as is.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:23 PM

As of right now, he will be mounted as is.

I am thinking I might make a board to attach the mount to with a space at the bottom and frame the velvet picture on it. Sort of a before/after type thing, first time I have harvested a buck and have some sort of documentation on it.

But I have heard about 50/50 from people that I have talked to, thought I would try and get a larger sample and see what you all thought.

As for official scoring, meh, it is a something to use to get an idea of how big something is, nice, but it is not the be all end, all of what makes a deer a trophy for me......
Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Mount him the way he was when you shot him. Easy decision for me!

Me too, I agree with Steveo on this one!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sucks he got all busted up. But the way I shot them is the way I like to remember him.

Maybe the could recreate a whole rack for you if you really want his before the fight look. But personaly no way I'd want him different than the way I shot him.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Leave it!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mount him the way he is!!! Then take him to the taxidermist

Quick Reply: What would you do if you were mounting it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.