Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tag Soup or a Spiker??????? >

Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Old 12-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Tony,

Based solely on your original post description, I would probably shoot the spike. Again that's based on your scenario. In reality I would probably pass on it because we have does up the gigi here. I've already killed two and have passed on a few bucks for no other reason than they weren't what I was looking to kill at the time they made themselves visible.

But I have (asmost know) no problem shooting at a spike, last time I checked it was legal to do so here in Illinois so in the situation you presented, I voted that I would send an arrow on it's way.

Obviously there are a lot of factors involved in the decision to shoot that you have not covered. ie: How much the hunter likes Venison, what's the financial situation of the hunter can he afford to pass and purchase the same amount of beef in it's place etc...The hunter (for all we know) may be looking at the animal as a "deer" and not a buck or doe, so if his goal was to shoot a deer then he's/I'm shooting.

That's how I interpreted the question...I might be way off base.....wouldn't be the first time.

Make sense?
Old 12-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like venison, he Dies!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SunRiverMan

It happened to me this year. The big buck was 80 yards away. The spike comes in at 25 yards. He was fat and healthy standing broadside. I thought about it, but I have a let the little bucks grow up rule. No bucks this year. Buck tag sandwich for me. I did get a fat doe earlier in the year.

EDIT- This was the last day of the season, last 17 minutes. SRM
you didn't read the original post correctly ..... in YOUR scenario, you already had a doe in the freezer .....

Trevor, I shoot the 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 year old bucks because I like the meat ... EVERYONE in the area I hunt does the same thing .. if they all got together and decided to shoot 8's or better, I would agree EXCEPT if my original scenario happened and BTW, there aren't alot of big deer here and there is NOTHING one lone hunter can do about it .....

John (BigJ), you interpreted it perfectly ..... thank you for reading the original post ...
Old 12-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I think there's something we're overlooking. There's a LOT of people who would shoot the spike on day 1, 2, 3 ......of their season.

Nothing wrong with that, at all.

It's like shooting a 110" buck on your last day of an oufitted hunt.....when you KNOW there's 150+" deer on the property. I wouldn't blame the guy who lets that smaller (relative) buck walk. I wouldn't blame the guy for taking him.

No wrong answer, huh?
Absolutely right ...there is no wrong answer ... and it IS interesting to see how many guys would do it the last few minutes of the hunt and not do it the first week or so .... I understand that totally, as I am a meat hunter ...
I fit this bill to a T. My season is a fairly long one. Our bow season starts the middle of September, and there is some kind of deer season straight thru until December 31. I love to hunt period, but I also love venison. So, if I see a spike the first week of the bow season, he gets a pass. But if I am out on the last day of the year, and I have yet to put some venison in my freezer, that same spike will get a free pass to my freezer.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:38 AM

I'm nearly in that situation now.
I've only got a few days in the season (weekends) left to hunt; I've only had one deer step into range this year, a small spike. I passed him that day, took a picture of him with my cell phone.
I'll be happy if he walks into range againhe will get shot, this time with a broadhead.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im curious, if the guys who pass on spikes because they want to give them time to grow, have consider that deer die from many other causes, than hunters killing then. I dont know about where you live but ,around here I see alot of dead spikes on the side of the road. If I know my chances are low of scoring on a bigger buck by the time the season closes, I have no problem putting a spike in the freezer , better there than in a road dept. landfill.
JMHO
Old 12-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

not a chance two reasons. one i just couldnt do it, plus its not legal
Old 12-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tag soup for me.

Shane
Old 12-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would not even consider shooting the little guy.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 years ago I climbed out of my stand 10 min. b/4 shooting hours ended-I walked up the hill toward my truck & a 7 pointer froze at 15 yds. in front of me. I pulled an arrow out-came to full draw & said-you better be glad your not bigger & let down. I am not a true trophy hunter but I already had tagged a nice doe. I have done the same this year so far (tagged a Doe) as I have let some small bucks pass within FEET of my stand.
Yes, I am hunting horns the past few years but it's becauseI have taken Many Many Whitetails& on the back side of life I want to TRY & take my biggest ever b/4 something happens &I am not able to venture to the woods. I just turned 67 so we have to be realistic-I am fortunate to still be able to enjoy the sport I love most-BOWHUNTING BIGGAME....
I will be out after Christmas freezin my butt off after gun season ends.
Good Luck to those who STILL have the BUCK tag.
Pic is day b/4 Thanksgiving 2008.

Quick Reply: Tag Soup or a Spiker???????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.