Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spot and Stalk for Muleys >

Spot and Stalk for Muleys

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spot and Stalk for Muleys

Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Spike

Default Spot and Stalk for Muleys

Has anybody ever tried spot and stalk for muleys? After years of grouse hunting in the sandhills and walking up on bedded deer I decided to try it 3 years ago. I stalked up on a doe my first deer hunt everand stuck her at 20 yards. It was really exciting. Now I know Mule Deer are considered dumb compared to whitetails and are not considered to be as much of a challenge, but spot and stalk with a bow is tough. The last two years have been frustrating though. Most of the time they will spook and take off running and never offer a shot. Sometimes after getting up and taking off, they will stop and look, but then its tough to quickly try and judge yardage. I am preferring now to strictly hunt whitetails from a treestand. I still have that dream of arrowing a big mule deer buck though.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spot and Stalk for Muleys

All the time! I have killed a couple decent bucks back in Idaho. There is nothing easy about it that's for sure.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love hunting mulies via spot and stalk. There is nothing easy about sneaking up on a big mature buck. Stay after it, you'll get him!
Old 12-12-2008, 06:06 AM

A big mulie is a higher goal for me than a big whitetail. Spot and stalk isnt easy. Mulies still have a deers vision, nose, bigger ears, etc....they can detect you just as easily as a whitetail, its just mulies are often curious from what I've read, giving hunter's a fake impression of being dumb. Big bucks won't be dumb, and you wont be able to slip up any. Either way they wont be curious within bow range, lol.

Best of luck and post up pics when you arrow him. I agree spot and stalk is a rush, and I'd take 3 days of it over 4-5 days in a treestand or blind, any day of the week.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

Ive done it before. Not easy with a bow, but very rewarding. For some reason though I have great luck of seeing great mule deer at 10yrds when im working on bringing in Elk. But as soon as I stop Elk hunting and start Mule deer hunting it never happens. Its tuff but worth it
Old 12-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Spike

That's what's funny...When I'm hunting for sharptail grouse with no scent blocker and a shotgun in my hand, I have walked up on big bucks in brush. Then when I am muley hunting with scent blocker and my bow being all quiet and slow, I can't get near the bucks..how ironic.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

Here you go. this mule deer hung around while i was trying to get this 5X5 bull to come up out of the timber.

This Muley is a 5X6, he is wider then the pic shows. I took the picture cause he was just hanging around. Had a way bigger one do the same thing the previous day.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/crenshawjohnson/IMG_0091.jpg

Old 12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

All the time! I have killed a couple decent bucks back in Idaho. There is nothing easy about it that's for sure.
Man I would love to do that again, did it a little as a teen and was unsucessful.. Killed a couple nice ones with rifle but never a bow.. We do have some great mulies here, I just get so wrapped up in Whitetails.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cutem,

It sucks towing Mr. Murphy into the woods with you! I've been there too. I can darn near walk up to big bucks when I have my camera in hand. Drop the camera and pick up the bow, well, for some reason they know the rules have changed. Like lighting, they are out of there!

Do stay after it though! You'll get yours!
Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Spike

My dream is to have a nice muley on the wall sometime in my lifetime and have worked pretty hard at getting a buck this year. The problem is I live 7hrs away from muley country. Ive gotten in 15 full days of hunting though, but so far the whitetail have been alot "dumber" then the muleys. Ive gotten closer to alot more whitetail in the same country including one buck that was 15yards from me while I was standing in a winter wheat field with almost zero camo. I did also put a nice 8pt whitetail on the ground in a spot and stalk scenerio this year with my bow during the gun season here in kansas. Ive still got a tag for a muley though and as soon as winter break begins ill be headed out there

Quick Reply: Spot and Stalk for Muleys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.