Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broken Stabilizer! >

Broken Stabilizer!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broken Stabilizer!

Old 12-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Spike

Default Broken Stabilizer!

So I went out in the woods yesterday morning pumped for the hunt. As I was raising my bow up to me with my utility rope my bow bumped my leg and all the sudden I heard something fall and thud on the ground in the dark. I turned on my head light and noticed it was my stabilizer! It didn't just get loose and fall off, it broke off at the base where it screws in. Now obviously bumping my leg isn't enough to break it on its own so the metal must have been weak and ready to break at any minute. It is only 3 years old, but maybe it has been through enough wear and tear. So anyway, my question is.. does the stabilizer missing affect how my bow shoots? Obviously I know it is necessary to properly balance my bow but accuracy wise it should still shoot where I aim it right? I'm gonna get a new one but I'm gonna have to figure a way to get the base of the screw out of the bow without harming it.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:31 PM

Default RE: Broken Stabilizer!

Just out of curiosity what type/brand of stabilizer was it?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

depending on how tight it was in there, getting the base out may be very tricky. If it wasnt too tight, try this first if there is no threads still sticking out. If it broke off fresh and clean, take a center punch and put a good dent in the rod in the the edge. Take a hammer and try and punch that around (counter clockwise) and maybe it will spin out. Sorry, its hard for me to clarify what im explaining without being able to show you. If not, you might have to drill it out a bit, and take an easy-out and try to get it out with that.

Its crazy that it just broke off. I constantly mess with all my stabilizers and have never had one break.
Derek
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Spike

It's a TruGlo Solidifier Stabilizer Series. I think it's a cheaper one..I can't remember. The guy who helped me pick out my bow and accessories set me up with it and I can't remember what it cost.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest thing you might notice is how much different the bow aims for you.That really depends on how the stabilizer was weighted and how long it was though.However,it should still hit behind the pin.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of the brand or whatev, you need to get the other part out!

To answer your initial ? no your bow will not shoot "worse" without a stabilizer. You might shoot worse without it, but the bow wont. As long as you can shoot good enuff with it, then your bow will still push the arrows out the same.
Derek
Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Spike

drockw, I will try doing what you told me. I think I have an idea what you are talking about. I'm just a little worried I might somehow damage the bow messing with it. I don't want to take it to the archery pro shop but I might have to. They are complete *******s. Im still kind of a rookie bowhunter and they make you feel like an idiot in there. And if you don't shoot a matthews(which is what they push and sell), then they hold that against you. I'm sorry not all of us have the money for a matthews..didn't mean to vent too much.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see it as a sign from God....telling you that you don't actually need a stabilizer to shoot a deer at 20-30yds [8D]

Old 12-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats total BS that they are that way. I know you may not have the option but i would try and find another shop to go to. I only let people i trust and have faith in mess with my stuff. just my .02

As far as the bow being hurt... Dont sledge hammer it, but tap it. If its loose you will notice movement in the threaded rod part. If it moves at all you should be able to get it out. If not you might be SOL. If you cant get it, I would recommend you take the bow to someone handy (mechanic/machinist) someone who deals with broken bolts etc... Or take it to a machine shop as a last resort. I honestly dont think that your pro shop will be able to do anything to get it out unless they are "handy" and able to do stuff like that. Im sure there is someone you know who has experience with stuff like that. good luck
Derek
Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

I see it as a sign from God....telling you that you don't actually need a stabilizer to shoot a deer at 20-30yds [8D]

I dont need a compund bow to shoot a deer at 20-30 yards but i still use one

Quick Reply: Broken Stabilizer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.