Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the worst you've ever been Busted? >

What's the worst you've ever been Busted?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the worst you've ever been Busted?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:01 PM

Default RE: What's the worst you've ever been Busted?

Early this season I went out after work to go sit in a stand that has pretty good visibility, if not having alot of deer that pass close to it, was more interested in trying to figure out where the deer were coming from so I could try and cut them off for an upcoming morning hunt.

Well, I had a nice 130-140 10 pointer come out of some thicker stuff about 100 yards west of me, now, the wind was about 5-10 mph, out of the west, the tree I was in, is thick, we had to cut windows into the branches so you could see out of it, no silehouting (sp?)

No way that deer can know I was there, he is upwind of me, I am tucked into this tree, not moving, looking at him through the binocs (facing west in the afternoon) but he still managed to look up at me after about 5 minutes, blow once, and he was gone back the way he came. Only thing I can think of is maybe he caught the light reflecting off of the binocs?

I didnt even walk in the direction the buck came from.......

cagey buggers......
Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was scouting one evening in late summer, 1999. I had glassed a huge velvet NT the night before from about a mile away, So i got the bright idea to slip back in on him the next night. This time on the same clearcutted ridge he had slipped out on. My plan was to go in using the evening thermals and to tuck in the replanted pines in order to great video of him. I had an old panasonic video camera. So i got in by foot and set up to wait him out. Like he was on the clocked he and a small 5x5 showed up and when he did since i was on his side of the mountain, i couldnt see very far. He was and still is today the greatest NT i have ever seen in Idaho. Huge coke can bases, a massive main framed 5 on one side sat across from his tangle of hvy antler going everywhere on the other side. I would estimate 75 inches on the left 5 and over 90 on his junky side. big bodied sucker too. He popped out so close to me i about chit my pants. right there 25 to 30 yards in full velvet. feedingbrowsing my way, he had me so twisted up I couldnt get my camera offf of manual focus, so i sit it down in fear of spooking him, i settled down and began to just study him ..... he was an amazing mountain buck. then everything turned for the worst, he picked up his head and started Walking down the ridge right to me.... when he got to fiften yards i closed my eyes and held my breath hoping he would walk on by... - was afraid he see my eyes so i kept them shut as i listened to his footsteps. He got so close i could hear hi breath, he stopped, i couldnt stand it so i peaked and the big muther was right there, 4 or 5 yards from me. staring at me. I knew i Was toast, i Was trying to not twitch a muscle, he stomped his foot and then let out the loudest deer blow i have ever felt. My heart sank and he whirled and sped off, blowing and crashing through the plantation. Then he got up on the ridge about 150 yards of and proceded to blow for 20 minutes it seemed like as he walked over the mountain... never saw that deer ever again.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

He realized how close he had come to the Grim Reaper and it freaked him out!!
Old 12-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Yesterday, I went out with just a pair of Bino's trying to see where I could possible set up on for the late season. I was standing in a finger of woods watching several large fields. I seen some deer coming out of the cornfield, into the hay field, and they start to graze. 7 does.

I ducked down behind a piece of an Old culvert(sp) that had been left above ground years and years ago, probably before my time. All of me that was exposed were my camo hat, binos, and hands holding my binos....

I was watching them from about 250+ yards away.... One of them PEGGED me, stared off an on for quite a few seconds, I actually thought they were gonna to let their guard wn, they would take a bite or two, then return to staring, I havent moved the whole time during this. Then all of a sudden, they decided they didnt like it and off they go, just like I was chasing them. Crazy! I was so far away I dont understand how they could see me that well....?
Sounds kind of like you were sky-lined. That has happened to me before while glassing....or the sun was reflecting off something on you?
Old 12-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Yesterday, I went out with just a pair of Bino's trying to see where I could possible set up on for the late season. I was standing in a finger of woods watching several large fields. I seen some deer coming out of the cornfield, into the hay field, and they start to graze. 7 does.

I ducked down behind a piece of an Old culvert(sp) that had been left above ground years and years ago, probably before my time. All of me that was exposed were my camo hat, binos, and hands holding my binos....

I was watching them from about 250+ yards away.... One of them PEGGED me, stared off an on for quite a few seconds, I actually thought they were gonna to let their guard wn, they would take a bite or two, then return to staring, I havent moved the whole time during this. Then all of a sudden, they decided they didnt like it and off they go, just like I was chasing them. Crazy! I was so far away I dont understand how they could see me that well....?
Sounds kind of like you were sky-lined. That has happened to me before while glassing....or the sun was reflecting off something on you?
It was complete overcast(been raining all day) with a light fog....
Old 12-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Wind, possible... but I doubt it, there wasnt much of a wind at all really.....
Not saying this happened in your case but with no wind is the easiest way to get busted by the wind IMO.

Scent still drifts and carries for distances via thermals.