Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps?? >

Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Old 12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

I have a hand drill thingy ma-bobber deal that looks like a pencil that you pump into a tree and it rotates like a drill. No noise, takes about a minnute per tree step, and is easy to pack. I have no idea what it is called, but it was my grandpa's. It looks circa 1930s, but works like a charm.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tree steps are really not too expensive, i would much rather use something thats fit for its purpose...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

I have a hand drill thingy ma-bobber deal that looks like a pencil that you pump into a tree and it rotates like a drill.
I hate technical terminology.

On the drill issue -I hope I never see the day that I have to pack a drill into the woods to climb a tree.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

This brings back bad memories back in the day we drove RR spikes in
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM

I don't mind packing a drill in when I presetup a spot...screwing in steps by hand sucks...it takes forever, is tiring, and you sweat..during summer, alot! lol I'd rather take a drill in and be done in 5-10 minutes than sweating and grunting my ass off 35 minutes later halfway up the tree! I've done both.

The bolts aren't really meant to grab stuff with their threads...the downward pressure keeps em in place.

But Drop, what size are screw in steps? They are no where near 5/8 in diameter, may even be smaller than 3/8. I think both are voodoo compared to stick ladders...but given the options, I'd opt for a predrilled hole whether it is for steps or bolts, just for ease. on bolts, the bolts still fit snug and dont just fall out, on the steps..the predrill hole is smaller than the threaded tip so it doesnt effect threads at all, just gives you a jumpstart into the tree...I hate trusting steps because of how little it is in the tree, there aint much thread to them at all.[:-]

I just checked Ace Hardware on my way home from my last final of the semester, Grade 5 3/8"x6" are 1.20. Grade 8 3/8"x6" are 1.80. Can't buy steps for either of those prices here, even on sale.

I prefer stick ladders over all else ($35 gets you 20 ft up), but am going to try the bolts this year in place of screw in steps on a few setups.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Dominant Buck

6" bolt? How much are you gonna sink into the tree?
Old 12-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcrick

Had to LOL, we still have trees with those things stuck in.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

No brainer if you use these and I've tried them all: Cranford Ezy Climb treestep, I prefer the rodstep myself. I can buy them for $3.50-$4.00 a piece at my local proshop. This:

OR this:

Old 12-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

and there never comming out
ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

ORIGINAL: bloodcrick

Had to LOL, we still have trees with those things stuck in.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:00 PM

http://www.treehopper-llc.com/

Check these out...I just bought the system and while I am not 100% sold on it as I just bought ita few weeks ago, it is pretty cool. I ended up buying the Woodpecker drill from the Simmons archery web site and it is a really cool hand drill that drills the perfect hole and stops at the appropriate depth. The treehopper bolts are rock solid. I am 225 lbs and I have actually tried to bend them and cant.

The drill is a little expensive but it works real well. Pretty cool system. I am going to play around with it in the off season and I can let you know.

Quick Reply: Big lag bolts instead of screw in steps??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.