Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 your shooting lane thoughts? >

your shooting lane thoughts?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

your shooting lane thoughts?

Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default your shooting lane thoughts?

I think there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to clearing "shooting lanes". Just curious on what others think.

I've always been one to disturb as little as possible with my setups. I'll selectively trim what I need to at the bare minimum to give me a variety of shot opportunities. Sometimes I dont' change a thing depending on the setup. I dont' want anything to look different to the deer. I'm more of the mindset that if he comes into my setup and I can't get a shot off then so be it.... let him walk. That is better than him suddenely noticing highways cut through his area. If he didn't present a shot, but walked away not knowing I existed or something wasn't right than that isn't the end of the world. This actually has cost me 3 shot opportunities this year on quality bucks.

The flipside ...... cut lanes where if he comes into your setup you're going to have a shot somewhere. That is if he doesn't spook or bust you or already decided he knows something is not right in that area when you weren't there.

Just wondering if overdoing it with my minimal disturbance philosophy. Would that buck that was 22 yards from me not giving me a shot even be there if I cleared enough shooting windows to already piss him off? Or that buck is right here right now and I got a shot at him?

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: your shooting lane thoughts?

My thoughts are that it cost me a booner this year...

But that only happened because i am like you, i dont want to go cutting everything up and make myself stick out. The less the better.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM

I like having atleast ONE semi open lane out to 40...usually, this can be done by cutting 3-4 branches at most, in my area anyway. I hunt some pretty thick stuff at times, but you would be surprised what a branch here or there can do. I'd rather cut a branch or two extra, than be denied a shot at a deer I want to take.

That said, I dont cut much either. I find it funny when I see someone elses setup where it looks like they cut a 45 yard quad trail at three angles from their stand.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

I like to cut plenty of shooting lanes, the trick is to do it early enough in the year. If you are hanging a stand mid-season then its probably best to trim a little less.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:11 PM

I try and trim the bare minimum when possible. I'd rather cause less disturbance and be more hidden, than be able to shoot 'anywhere'.

I've hung stands that rely solely on an animal stopping/pausing on a few-foot section of 1 trail, AND THAT'S IT.

I will trim a little more in some situations, like hanging a stand at the end of season, or even keeping it up all year, and opening up some lanes in say, Feb.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a NICE 7 pointer (bigger than anything I shot this year) 2X inside 25yds.....and didn't loose an arrow at him either time. In THAT instance (where I was).....I think minimal is better. I was near where I think he's bedding.

When it comes to rut stands.....I want almost maximum clearance to shoot. Most times in these stands.....I don't know for "sure" which direction they'll come from.....and I want to be able to shoot if I see him.

My outlook changes based on where I'm setup.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't mind trimming alot of branches as much as I need but i do not like taking out trees.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Site Buck Guru

I cut and place the cuttings like a flower arrangement. I don't want deer or humans to take notice of my stand sites if possible.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 PM

I hunt thicker areas for the most part, so I don't worry too much about cutting shooting lanesin. I used to get worried about it, but don't anymore. If anything, I think it's helped me. Once I have a tree picked out, I typically will go in there with a pole saw and some ratchet pruners to take care of business. The following season, if I'm still hunting those same spots, I'll give it a quick trim and I'm good to go.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes it's necessary but it's also necessary to do it in such a way as to not alarm the prey.

Quick Reply: your shooting lane thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.