Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String loops

Old 12-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: String loops

I'm with Meanv on this one. This is kinda like the peep/no peep decision. Some guys love loops, some guys don't. I prefer them myself, but I like to practice out to 60 yards, and I feel they help with long distance accuracy. But for most hunting in the woods, wehre most of my shots are under 30 yards, I don't think a loop will show any significant gain in accuracy. You can try one, throw away the metal ones, and go with one tied with BCY material, not the camo stuff.

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I've shot bows both ways, and to me it is a toss up. The bow I've hunted with most this year does Not have a loop. It doesn't make me any more/less accurate to have a loop, and it does change the felt draw length of the bow even if it is onlyslight. That's a No Brainer!
I know guys that shoot a loop and still miss deer and/or make bad shots. Would they be worse without a loop? I doubt it[8D]
Jason, I would be careful putting that many years on a bowstring. I have seenagedstrings completely blow without even a little warning. To me it would not be worth the risk to put more than 2 years on a string.

Dan
Old 12-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I've shot bows both ways, and to me it is a toss up. The bow I've hunted with most this year does Not have a loop. It doesn't make me any more/less accurate to have a loop, and it does change the felt draw length of the bow even if it is onlyslight. That's a No Brainer!
I know guys that shoot a loop and still miss deer and/or make bad shots. Would they be worse without a loop? I doubt it[8D]
Jason, I would be careful putting that many years on a bowstring. I have seenagedstrings completely blow without even a little warning. To me it would not be worth the risk to put more than 2 years on a string.

Dan
Actually I have already replaced that bow. I need to send it back for new limbs or replacement as they are developing a crack anyway. If they don't replace the bow I'll have all that replaced. I just never got around to it.

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

We'll If you have a long release and/or a loop you cannot physicaly pull the bow back as far. Sure its only 1/4-1/2 inch but when your talking having the bow fit you right that may make all the difference.
If you can pull your bow back to the back wall.....explain to me how the length of your D-loop affects DL, realisitcally.
True enough. I know its only a slight distance. Just was my thinking.

What's the difference in finding your D-loop v. finding your string?
Well The string is alot bigger and I can clip on 6 inches below my arrow and easily slide right up to the bottom of the arrow without looking at it. Got to be a little more acurate for a loop. I guess you'd get used to it.

I've shot THOUSANDS of shot through several different bows.....and I've never had a D-loop fail (come untied). I suppose one could have the same (unwrranted?) fears RE: limb failure if he so chose.

I've shot a long time and learned the hard way to research before getting the newest gadget no matter how cheap. You have less headaches that way.
Sounds like a resounding reason to take up traditional archery.

I build and shoot Trad bows.... I bought the compound because once set up, lets face it, you need much less practice to be able to shoot it acuratly. I personaly prefer carrying my selfbowandobsidian tipped rivercane arrows to the field. Unfortunatly due to the fact I have 5 children to take to all their events (not complaining) I have little time to feel good enough with my selfbow to take it to the woods. I still love to shoot it I just believe I should be better than that for the animals I persue. I'm lucky to get time in the woods with all my kids do. So I want to worry less about my acuracy if I haven't shot in a while.
Of course now that I bought this new fancy bow I have shot more than I have in a while.....LOL

I do want to say I aprecieate everyone chiming in on this. Its meen a long time since I bought a compound and I'm a bit out of the newest tech. Some things haven't changed and some things have. So bear with me as I relearn some of it. I just need to get it right in my head.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK, I'm driving so I may not capture all my thoughts on this subject that I'd like...

First off -- adding a loop WILL change your draw length!! It may not change the BOW'S draw length, but it will change YOURS. Adding a loop will increase the distance between your bow hand and your anchor point; assuming you keep your bow hand the same (including the relationship of the grip to the bow and eveything else), it WILL move your anchor point rearward. It HAS to; if it didn't, we could assume the loop was ZERO inches long -- which in turn means you didn't tie a loop on! Add a loop of ANY length, and it moves your anchor point rearward. To compensate and keep the EXACT same anchor, you'll have to decrease your dl, if only slightly, depending on the length of the loop.

That's why I like to tie mine as short as physically possible. Look at my "How to tie a d-loop thread" pinned at the top of the tech forum, and you should be able to start tying your own within no time.

The good thing about loops is the ability to fine-tune your anchor point without placing the bow in a press to twist/untwist cables. Now on my 3d bows, I do both: I like my loop a bit longer because I'm shooting a hinge or a thumb-trigger style release (I regularly use both), and I can't afford for the loop to be TOO short and impart torque on the connection point. Therefore, I use a longer-length loop and shorten up my dl by close to a 1/4".

Perhaps one of the most practical benefits of shooting a loop for a bowhunter is the ability to let down after being at full draw if needed without the arrow popping off the string due to nock pinch. Look at the last picture in my d-loop thread and you'll see why it doesn't pinch the nock as much. The tradeoff, as you rightly mentioned, is it IS a bit harder to hook up in the moment of truth. I know; I shot "off the string" for more than a decade" and you're right in that you can just hook up ANYWHERE on the string below your nock point and simply slide your release up. In fact, I've gone to exclusively using flourescent coloring for my loops these days as it helps me hook up even easier in low-light conditions.

There's also no center-serving wear on your string when using a loop. It'sfar easier to cut off a loop and retie than to serve a whole new center section.

There's several other benefits as well which I won't get into... but DON'T use one of those junk metal ones. Just go ahead and throw all those away.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

dang greg you took the words out of my mouth.
my personal opinion. i wish i would've started out with a loop.
i have found that after practicing for the upcoming season hooking onto the loop was almost second nature. i found myself almost instinctivly goin to the loop.
but thats just me.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Greg. Thats what I was thinking. I knew it had to changed your anchor point. Otherwise everyone could have the same bow with the same DL. Everyone is different and each persons draw is slightly different even at, lest say, 29" dL. each persons anchor can be slightly different. Thats why all the adjusments on bows for DL.

Its a new bow or I would not consider it. I think I'll try one come spring. Right now I'm grouping in 2-3 inch groups at 30 yards. So I think I'm pretty good for now. I think If I practice enough I'll get used to the loop. And thanks for the info on the tying your own link. I like doing as much myself as I can. I have to check out the nock pinch. Its a much shorter ATA bow than my other one so I'm sure the advantage of not knocking the arrow off will be a plus. I honestly havent tried to let down nocked yet.

Good info guys. Exactly what I needed to hear.

So anyone use or seen the double caliper release? Seems it may be a good other way to go.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

You can adjust your release (most can) to accomodate for loop length (to an extent)....and never change your DL. The bow's will never change.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

i know of the release you are talking about. i remeber seeing it ona realtree video before. i'll see if i can find it for ya.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Dominant Buck

My setup would also let you forget about the fear of not being able to find your loop

Old 12-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

one of the double releases your talking about is like this one.
its called the JAMES GREENE GATOR JAW RELEASE CALIPER

they run 50 to 60 bucks here is a link to one.
http://www.yeoldearcheryshoppe.com/james-green-gator-release-p-2179.html?osCsid=7f96851e3dfd973ab031f1afb7006964
Old 12-10-2008, 10:24 AM

14 years with the same string?? dude what are you thinking?

you should replace your string WAY more often than that.

at the very least try to replace it every 2 years..

and if you learn to tie a loop yourself ,and do it correctly,
it wont come undone... i have to cut mine off when i tie a new one,
because i know how to do it right..no probs....

i have seen guys loops come undone ,
and most of the times they came undone is because
the guy didnt burn the balls on the end the right way ,
and didnt tighten it fully before shooting it.

just my .02

[quote]ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

However my old compound has 14 years on the serving with me pulling from below the nock. Granted I didn't shoot it a ton some of those years but it sure has put plenty downrange. More than you'd think it should have on the original string etc.

Quick Reply: String loops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.