Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bitter Sweet?? (long read, but worth it) >

Bitter Sweet?? (long read, but worth it)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bitter Sweet?? (long read, but worth it)

Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Default Bitter Sweet?? (long read, but worth it)

About 2 months ago, i was in my tree stand when 3 does came in at about 15 yards. As i picked out the one i was going to try and take, my heart started racing as this was going to be my second deer of the year. I put my release onto my string and slowly started to stand up. I was very carefull not to make sudden movements as i got into position 14 feet above the three does.I drew backmy bow as slowly as i could. The larger doe, the one the one i choose to harvest, got a little spooked and moved off about five more yards quartering away from me. I judged the yardage at about 22 to 23 yards. I placed my pin behind the shoulder and up a little to compensate for the angle of the shotfrom my stand. As soon as i squeezed off thr shot I knew it wasn't the best entry. The doe ran off about 20 yards and looked back at me with my arrow burried about 8 inches into her shoulder. I waited about an hour before i got down to check for blood. I found some, sparingly, about 50 yards from my stand. I backed out knowing it wasn't a great shot and waited till the next morning to pick up the trail. My dad and me started tracking early the next morning. The blood was heavy at times, and very small at others. I marked the blood trail with orange tape as we went. I helped us pick upthe trail when the blood got real thin. We tracked this doe for 6 hours through the thickest swamp and tagalders that we've ever been through. We never found the arrow and the blood stopped. Like she just dissapeared into nowhere we lost the trail. I went back the next day and the next day after that looking as hard as i could using all the procedures i could think of trying to find that doe, or any more sign of her. It was to no avail. Unfortunately i gave up after the fourth day, as dissapointed as i've ever been in the hunting woods.

Well, today i got news that that doe is still alive. My dads nieghbor has seen her come into his place a few times to eat his corn and minerals he puts out for them. I talked to him today and he says the arrow is still in her, burried in her shoulder as it was the last time i saw her. He says she walks with a limp, but otherwise looks o.k.. There is a late season doe only rifle hunt coming up and the remainder of the late bow season. We figured between me and him that we would seek her out and try to finnish the job. I feel i owe it to her. But than i think she made it through so far and sometimes wonder if i should leave it alone. I will try to take this doe if i get a good shot that would quickly and humanely take her life.

I was just wondering what your thoughts on this may be. Have any of you been in this situation before and if so, what kind of advice would you offer. Thanks for putting up with this long read...but i feel better sharing it.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bitter Sweet?? (long read, but worth it)

If you get the chance kill the deer.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

2 months, arrow still there? Troll. At a minimum if this is so, kill the damn deer by whatever means it takes.... but I'm sensing troll.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:34 PM

DAve mil...i don't understand what troll means...are you calling me a liar??
Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jkcmerg

I'm saying, believe what you see, not what people tell you. I don't rely on a friend of a friend who knew a friend told me.[&:]
Old 12-07-2008, 08:39 PM

This nieghbor is 63 years old...he had no reason to lie to me.. I actually spoke with his wife today also and she said the same...Why do you find it so hard to believe and arrow burried 8" or so into a shoulder and possibly bone would still be there?? And if anyone asks its a fixed head montec broadhead on a maxima hunter arrow.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Fine... it's amazing.. Kill the damn deer.... and then post the picture.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

If a broadhead penetrated the shoulder 8" wouldn't it have gotten some lung?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:51 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

ORIGINAL: jkcmerg

I'm saying, believe what you see, not what people tell you. I don't rely on a friend of a friend who knew a friend told me.[&:]
If you read the story, i talked to the guy myself and his wife. I've known this guy for 12 years...it must be tragic to live a life where you have to second guess your friends and nieghbors...or maybe thats just in NY
Old 12-07-2008, 08:51 PM

I think David just found it nearly impossible that it hasn't broken off in the woods at this point. To me, this would be amazing as well.

Not that it isn't possible, hopefully you can put her down so we can all see.

Quick Reply: Bitter Sweet?? (long read, but worth it)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.