Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Evolving as a hunter...my next evolution >

Evolving as a hunter...my next evolution

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Evolving as a hunter...my next evolution

Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Evolving as a hunter...my next evolution

I've been hunting for 10 years now. I've been fortunate and have learned so much, many of my lessons have come as direct result of visiting HNI and putting those methods into practice. Of which, I am very grateful. This upcoming year, I will turn 40, a milestone of sorts and I have been planning this year for the past three. I feel my equipment choices, methods and education have allowed me to take my hunting to the next level. I've taken many whitetails and am planning on venturing out, as I did this year with elk, to other game and experiences. So, to do so, what is it that I need to focus on to achieve success...well, in my opinion my fitness level. As if 40 wasn't motivation enough to once again focus on my health, diet and exercise, it's really the desire to push my hunting that has convinced me to take a full leap. I've spent way too much time behind a desk, pounded a few too many beersand satin front of the computer/TV too many evenings. Can you tell it's approaching the New Year? Anyhow, I need to tone up, build some upper and lower body strength and most of all, approve my cardio to fulfill safely and enjoy my adventures.

So, the question I pose to you and to hopefully have some non-controversial conversation is...what is it that you feel you need to do to take it to the next level and continue to grow as a hunter? And I in no way feel that I can't continue to learn, study and improve my hunting skills, trust me. Just curious to know if anyone has contemplated the same or feels they are at a crossroad and truly committed to doing something about it.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Evolving as a hunter...my next evolution

Get my license so I can go do more things for my preseason. Such as scouting, shooting my bows/guns, learning more. I think that would really boost my hunting.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:13 PM

My feelings mirror yours somewhat, only ill be 18 in a week or two, not 40. I am going to start venturing out BEFORE I reach that accomplishment level with whitetails...I have my first buck with a bow, not too bad of one either...But that is it basically. I have alot more to do, learn, achieve, and experience before I could even dream about being an accomplished whitetail hunter....BUT, that isn't keeping me from branching out into hunting abroad. Like you, I have so many more hunting goals than just whitetails, I might as well start in on them young...My first, is to complete the NA Deer Slam. I have a plan to do it in 6 years, which will probably be shattered to pieces after just the first year, but I am going to try everything within my power to do this in 6 years. We will see....

First step, get in shape. Im not in bad shape, but a little more upper body strength would do me wonders. I have pretty stout legs, but need to amp up my cardio as well. Starting this week, I am starting in on a 8 month plan of exercise to get ready for my first excursion next August.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I did it this year. I needed to know if I could take what I've learned to a new property. In many ways I passed with flying colors....and in some ways I failed, miserably.

I'd like to be able to have more of the passes and less of the failures as I try this again, next year on newly acquired land. I'd like to think I could take what I learned this year and eliminate some of the "observation stand" sits.....and turn them into more quality sits. Duke has a saying I like a lot "Hang to kill". I'd like to progress to the point where i'm doing this more often.

I'll never again be a passive deer hunter. I've seen the light! (for ME)
Old 12-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kelly/KY

what is it that you feel you need to do to take it to the next level and continue to grow as a hunter?
I need to learn more. After 30+ years of hunting I still learn things. I need to pay attention of details better.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

ORIGINAL: Kelly/KY

what is it that you feel you need to do to take it to the next level and continue to grow as a hunter?
I need to learn more. After 30+ years of hunting I still learn things. I need to pay attention of details better.
I agree Magic, I don't think we can ever learn enough and so many variables to reflect on and remember. I personally want to ensure that I can be there, physically and mentally, to learn and experience more.

And T, kudos to you for getting out there at a young age and setting your goals. Don't let the man keep you down, lol.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I need to "get it"

Then once I "get it" I need to "apply it"
Old 12-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe that the first step toeven qualify to evolve as a hunteris to be a true woodsman and truly love and respect the woods and her creatures.

The second is to realize and accept that as we all come from many walks of life, those walks bring along different ways in which to hunt. They bring with them different preferred weapons for personal reasons. They bring with them different ideologies, and moral/ethical codes. Respect them as long as they aren't illegal. Not respecting them is the same as shunning someone for their skin tone.

I'd like to believe that I have both of those down. The next step is follow in the footsteps of the many great hunters here and learn as much as I possibly can. If you haven't realized this, we should be honored to even be graced by the presence of some folks here who have as many decades hunting as I have on this Earth. Those years cost XX thousand gallons of gas, XX thousand times up and down the mountains, XX thousand trials and errors. Yet, they are willing to share their knowledge and experiences with us free of charge.

Eventually, I'd like to be, but at this moment can only aspire to be a top tier buck hunter.

-Heu
Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Site Buck Guru

Sorry man, but I think I might just start winding down.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

This year was an eye opener. I have hunted a small parcel of land for the last 6 years and there has been minimal learned. I have sat on my butt knowing the deer will come through at some time and known that there were two main spots they would travel. After hunting 5 days in Brown County on 102 acres I realized there are a lot more areas to focus on. I used a lot of what I read here on HNI and isolated one of the best areas on the property and got on some great bucks, only to get busted[:-]

Next season I look to be picking up an area that is over 1,000 acres with 200-300 acres of woods. I plan to shed hunt the property and focus on key pinch points, funnels and travel corridors. I too plan to hang to kill and will focus on mobility instead of settling on fixed locations and sitting on them until they produce. I plan on asking quite a few questions to my fellow HNI members once I get a layout of the property and might even have a couple shed hunt it with me if things work out. My next evolution will allow me to adapt to new environments whcih should help me be successful anywhere I hunt.