Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody ever taken >

Anybody ever taken

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody ever taken

Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 PM
Banned

Default Anybody ever taken

an extra large $25.00 camo sleeping bag..cut it straight up the middle approx 2 1/2 ft from the feet area, sewn each side you cut to make legs, put a couple of shoulder straps in it, and made your own heaterbody suit? Just curious.. I like the idea..but $300 for a $25 sleeping bag...well..looks easy to make. Post pics please.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anybody ever taken

I'vce seen pics of guys homebrew heater suits.......... what do ya need it for with that blind????
How cold is it there HCH?
We need to talk on the ph. PM me and I will call you. If I can sit here............ you can sit there.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Banned

For treestand sitting in real cold weather is what a heater body suit is meant for..not my ground blind with my heater, lol. $300 for the heater body suit and $400 for a canadian similiar item called the cocoon. All they are is sleeping bags with feet and they nail a huge price tag on them. I like to make and invent and am noyt afraid to spend $$ on the best, but it just seems way over priced for a sleeping bag imo. Thanks and I am pming you my ph numbers. I will look at AT in the homemade threads you told me about..thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only problem I would see Don, is the cheap sleeping bags are usually really noisy. I'm sure it would be warm though.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Banned

Yea..I wouldn't use the swisshy noisey kind. There are quiet cheap camo ones out there.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a coleman sleeping bag that has come to the woods with me before. Its all soft material inside and out, so no noise. You can certainly hack it up for foot holes and stuff. I you know someone that can sew a little, put some elastic around the openings to seal you inside. Seems reasonable to me. I agree, 300 for the heater suit is a little on the hefty side. IF you are doing it, you may want to get a McCheapo brand one, just a real cheapy, and chop that one up first for a prototype. Let us know how it goes Don!
Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Already decided next season I'm getting heated clothing. Google heated clothing or http://www.thermologicgear.com/you will find lots of it.Most runoff of lithium batteries that are rechargeable. I just wantashirt/jacket linerand socks. Not terribly expensive for just those items. Seems like lots of companies design clothes like this for bikers.

My main goal is to reduce the necessarylayers as I generally feel very bulky late season and I hate that when bowhunting.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, laugh all you will but I suffered for years freezing my butt off. My wife got me the Heater body suit 4 years ago for my birthday and I love it. I maybe use it 5-6 times a year when it is 20 degrees and windy, but on those days it is fantastic. I only have to wear 2 maybe 3 layers of clothing to stay warm when using the HBS. It reduces alot of weight on my trips in and out walking long distances some times and provides a good comfort level while on stand, thereby extending my hunts. I have killed deer while using it as it is quiet and warm.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

I am not laughing..it isa gr8 product and idea..just way overpriced IMO.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Nope. I use a lighter weight but insulated bib/parka set I got from Cabelas on sale (I think it was just over $100 for everything a few years ago). It does the trick for me late season in Minnesota. I usually don't have to wear many layers under it so drawing is still easy and relatively silent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.