HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What do you OLD TIMERS think? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/276852-what-do-you-old-timers-think.html)

wahoohunter 12-06-2008 09:19 AM

RE: What do you OLD TIMERS think?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm 44....and I've been in the woods hunting "something" since I was 9. I grew up on a farm in very rural NC.....and I remember the day I saw the one and ONLY wild deer I ever laid eyes on there. I must have been 12-13yrs old. I went away to college having seen that one.
That last sentence is unbelievable, its hard to imagine only seeing one deer in your first 18 years or so. I noticed you said that you didn't originally deer hunt, when did you pick it up?

Lanse couche couche 12-06-2008 11:27 AM

Many, many more deer and much bigger bucks in southeastern Illinois. I remember in the mid-70s riding with my dad out in the country to see the rare "huge"10 pointbuck that someone had killed.Nowdays, there are probably a dozen much bigger bucks taken in that same general areaduring just one of the gun season, or by bow hunters during the first week of the rut. There was somewhat of a "if its brown its down" mentality 30 years ago because deer were rare enough that if you passed on one that came in range you might end the season empty handed. But then again back then, lots of folks just wanted to have some fun in the woods and bring back some meat, so not as much value was placed on big racks.

Hunter_59 12-06-2008 11:36 AM

The elusive 10 pt. "ghost" that everyone dreamed about years ago are virtually everywhere nowdays. These are definately the "good old days" of deer hunting. We as a fraternity of hunters ought to pat ourselves on the back! If it weren't for our fathers, grandfathers and ourselves, perpetuating the love of this sport,deer huntingas we know it would be non-existent. Hunters put their money where their hearts are! It's too bad theanti-hunting crowd just doesn'tget it!

bowdoc1 12-06-2008 12:12 PM

Some the old guy I knew said in the 50's They would go to Michigan are Wisconsin to bowhunt because it was the closet place to Iowa they could hunt with a bow & arrow. When Iowa started a deer season they were not going to have a bow season. Some them I knew said they had to go to theDNR as the Iowa State Archery ASS.Witch was formed in the the 40'S . Went to them with old Fred Bear and Howard Hill movie to show the theDNR to prove that a bow would kill a deer and also shot there bows to show them the bow & arrow was a tool for hunting deerThats way we have a bow season because of the work of these guys and because the DNR had no ideal archery was a organized group in our state.

GMMAT 12-06-2008 12:26 PM

That last sentence is unbelievable, its hard to imagine only seeing one deer in your first 18 years or so. I noticed you said that you didn't originally deer hunt, when did you pick it up?
I turned 40 shortly after taking up bowhunting for deer. You would think, frowing up on a farm where we could have a couple hundred acres of corn and lots of pasture land....I'd have seen a lot of deer growing up. I didn't. The one deer I saw (that I eluded to) was seen at my grandparents' house.....on a dead run through their front yard.

I had no idea of what it was, then. That's the truth.