HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What do you OLD TIMERS think? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/276852-what-do-you-old-timers-think.html)

Scott/IL 12-04-2008 04:46 PM

What do you OLD TIMERS think?

I was talking to my dad the other day out at our farm and he started talking about what it was like hunting 20-30 years ago.

He started deer hunting sometime after he got back from Vietnam, and was on the same family farm that we still hunt (it was a few hundred acres bigger though). He was a recurve man, and later on finally picked up a 12 gauge. In those some 40ish years of deer hunting he has killed more deer than I can dream about, and put down some pretty darn impressive bucks. His knowledge far outweighs any that I have ran across inmy area.

All the way up until about the early 80's he was the only one hunting the farm seriously. And by serious I mean that he would bowhunt about a week in November, then hit the woods with his shotgun. While he says that he did not see near as many deer and would hunt long and hard to SEE a buck, butthe bucks he did see were usually OLD and BIG. Some of the deer he talked about were nearly all good ones, and the history on our farm proves it. It used to be AT LEAST a 140+ inch deer a year for one of the hunters, but over the last 12 years or so I can only think of about 7 bucks that would go over 135, but 2 of these were the only B&C's ever taken off the land.

So what do some of the older veterans think? 15-20 years ago did you see bigger bucks? Didyou even see bucks?

I found it interesting with all the modern ideas of food plots, passing smaller deer, and all other QDM ideas. This was a period where "brown and down" was accepted.

GregH 12-04-2008 04:51 PM

RE: What do you OLD TIMERS think?

I think that over-population, lack of hunting pressure and milder winters leads to this.

Scott/IL 12-04-2008 04:51 PM

Let me also note, that we hunt in West Central Illinois, so a "shooter" buck for us may be the buck of a lifetime elsewhere. I have seen up to 20 deer in one sitting before, but have also be skunked plenty of times. Overall it is a great farm and I am blessed that my family owns it, but I know that my location will not read the same types of numbers as say a guy in West Virginia.

magicman54494 12-04-2008 04:58 PM

Hang on a second, Where's my teeth? hand me my eye glasses! hey do we have a replacement battery for this damn hearing aid? who leaned my cane against the keyboard? OK, I'm back. So who are you calling an old timer you wet behind the ears, snot nosed punk?[8D]

Vabowman 12-04-2008 05:01 PM

Im no old timer, I began deer hunting in 1988, and we have always had big bucks where I live, now we have more deer as well.

Scott/IL 12-04-2008 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

I think that over-population, lack of hunting pressure and milder winters leads to this.
Has lead to the current condition of today's deer herd?

rybohunter 12-04-2008 05:15 PM

Going by the 15-20 year ago range I am an old timer at 22 years hunting :(

There are more deer and bigger bucks now than back then. But there was also much more accessable land back then.

nchawkeye 12-04-2008 06:30 PM

15-20 years ago, that was yesterday...

In the late 60s and early 70s, we had less deer, but I could ride down the road and watch bucks feeding in soybeans during the summer...I wouldask my dad who owned the land and easily get permission to bowhunt that area...I could walk out my back door (or front door) and hunt for 6-8 miles in either direction, never see another hunter and not get run off someone's land...If I did see a farmer, we'd stop and chat and he'd ask about what I had seen and actually tell me of deer he had seen...

We all know it's not that way anymore...Heck, my brother had a poacher try to run him off one of our farms last year...

But...No, the bucks weren't bigger back then, I've got several on the wall from then and frankly, we are killing bigger bucks now...Because I'm now an old fart andactually talk myself out of killing bucks...I'll kill one everyonce in a while, but I'd rather let them breed or let one of the younger hunters kill them...I kill the does...That's what helps you have bigger bucks, passing on them and frankly, back in the 70s and 80s...I don't recall any deer hunters in NC passing on any size bucks...

early in 12-04-2008 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Hang on a second, Where's my teeth? hand me my eye glasses! hey do we have a replacement battery for this damn hearing aid? who leaned my cane against the keyboard? OK, I'm back. So who are you calling an old timer you wet behind the ears, snot nosed punk?[8D]
That's some funny stuff right there magic!!:D:D:DI started hunting in the early '70s, when you couldn't even hunt with a compound bow in my state of Pa. The very first tree stand back then was a Baker.;):DUp in the "big woods" of Bradford Co. Pa (where I took my first deer with a bow) there were a TON of deer to hunt, and it actually snowed for most opening days of rifle season. Now it's rare.[:'(]:(Now sightings are WAAAY down from everything I read and hear. On the flip side, here in my area of Montgomery and DelawareCounties there are a ton of whitetailsto hunt. I don't even give the mountains a thought much anymore.I could go on and on, but you get the gist of it.

1shotkill1993 12-04-2008 07:07 PM

I know that around here 20-30 years ago. There were not that many deer in this area. At least compared to what it is now.

davidmil 12-04-2008 07:10 PM

40 years ago, almost everyone had a LOT less deer. When I started bowhunting it was the rare guy that got his buck every year with the bow. And the bow was the only way you shot a doe in those days. Deer herds today in most places are way larger. Size wise, not a lot of difference I'd say. In the wild you'd occasionally hear of someone getting "The Big One" It's still that way. I'm talking wild deer not farmed deer.

blazehunter09 12-04-2008 08:45 PM

well... im far from old but doesn't everything seem worst the more years that pass?

davidmil 12-04-2008 08:59 PM

You're not listening. When I was a kid there were large areas and STATES where there was no deer season. They didn't have the deer. Prime example, large areas of Georgia had been closed to deer hunting since the 30s or 40s.

gri22ly 12-04-2008 09:24 PM

I'm no OLD TIMER, but I have been romping around the woods for about 25 years.:) No big difference in the size of the deer.Butin my immediat area the deer numbers have went way down. In themid 80s wehad45+ deerpersquare mile, now we 10 to 15 deer per square mile.

LouisianaTomkat 12-04-2008 09:50 PM

I hear that, gri22. Man, we used to see "bucks" any night of the week riding the roads. Now, you would be lucky to see a buck once or twice a year in the same general areas. Bad.

LT

Schultzy 12-04-2008 10:02 PM

What's an old timer? I've spent the last 24 years strictly bow hunting along side with my dad. Back In the early years when I started at age 12 It was pretty damn Impressive In my area. Big bucks were not uncommon. The northern part of Mn was tough hunting because of the nasty winters but every where else was good. I know In my area It wasn't very uncommon at all to see a good handful of B&C bucks shot In the gun season's. That don't happen near as much now. The numbers are down to from what they use to be as a whole In Mn.

MN/Kyle 12-04-2008 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

What's an old timer? I've spent the last 24 years
Old timer. [:-][8D]

Schultzy 12-04-2008 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Lol! Should of known.

magicman54494 12-04-2008 10:14 PM

Lol! Should of known.
Take that Steve[8D]

Schultzy 12-04-2008 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Lol! Should of known.
Take that Steve[8D]
And who's talking?[8D];) Cane Man!![8D][8D]

Nubby_Stalker 12-04-2008 11:03 PM

remeber when it wasn't a "DEER LICENCE" or Bear licence.....it was for "Big Game" and that ment one of either Deer, Bear or Wolf in wisconsin??...

...yup...gettin old....[&o][X(]

GregH 12-05-2008 02:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

Yes. One of the spots that I used to hunt (subdivided now) had no deer when my dad and I first started hunting for rabbits and pheasants back in the late 60's and early 70's. By the late 70's, the deer started showing up. By the late 80's there were quite a few of them and there were a lot of big bucks. There were 2 1/2's making P&Y and almost all 3 1'2's were too. the 3 1/2's were avg 140. Up until the mid-90's, all of the 1 1/2's were basket racked 8-pointers. There was hardly no hunting pressure. By 1994, I started seeing smaller racked bucks in all age classes. I was seeing spikes and forks bt 1998, something I had never seen before. There were still huge bucks around but it didn't seem like there was as many as earlier.

I believe that with over population, caused by lack of hunting (no one would give permission, country turned suburban) and milder winters, leads to more competition for food sources and too many does. Pretty soon almost all of the fawns were breeding, including late born. It gets to the point where almost all the bucks get to breed which can all have an effect on antler quality.

While looking for a friend of mine's deer he shot in 1998, I found a fawn that couldn't have been more than 2-3 weeks old. This was the 3rd weekend of September!! This means that the doe was bred in Feb., possibly March! Most mature breeding bucks have shed by that time and are no longer breeding. Something younger and less dominant had to have bred that doe.

This is my opinion on why this happens. I see this in some of the areas I hunt now. There are big bucks around, but there are tons of small scrubby bucks too. If the total population was cut down and the buck/doe ratio was brought back in order, you'd see more, larger bucks.

Rickmur 12-05-2008 02:08 AM

So what do some of the older veterans think? 15-20 years ago did you see bigger bucks? Didyou even see bucks?

No to the bigger bucks part and a few far and between to the see any bucks part.

davidmil 12-05-2008 05:56 AM

What's an old timer? I've spent the last 24 years strictly bow hunting along side with my dad.
Rookies!!!![8D]

early in 12-05-2008 08:01 PM

I remember way back when you were only allowed to kill ONE DEER per year in Pa. Anyone else remember those days?;)

Scott/IL 12-05-2008 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

Yes. One of the spots that I used to hunt (subdivided now) had no deer when my dad and I first started hunting for rabbits and pheasants back in the late 60's and early 70's. By the late 70's, the deer started showing up. By the late 80's there were quite a few of them and there were a lot of big bucks. There were 2 1/2's making P&Y and almost all 3 1'2's were too. the 3 1/2's were avg 140. Up until the mid-90's, all of the 1 1/2's were basket racked 8-pointers. There was hardly no hunting pressure. By 1994, I started seeing smaller racked bucks in all age classes. I was seeing spikes and forks bt 1998, something I had never seen before. There were still huge bucks around but it didn't seem like there was as many as earlier.

I believe that with over population, caused by lack of hunting (no one would give permission, country turned suburban) and milder winters, leads to more competition for food sources and too many does. Pretty soon almost all of the fawns were breeding, including late born. It gets to the point where almost all the bucks get to breed which can all have an effect on antler quality.

While looking for a friend of mine's deer he shot in 1998, I found a fawn that couldn't have been more than 2-3 weeks old. This was the 3rd weekend of September!! This means that the doe was bred in Feb., possibly March! Most mature breeding bucks have shed by that time and are no longer breeding. Something younger and less dominant had to have bred that doe.

This is my opinion on why this happens. I see this in some of the areas I hunt now. There are big bucks around, but there are tons of small scrubby bucks too. If the total population was cut down and the buck/doe ratio was brought back in order, you'd see more, larger bucks.
I will agree 100% with this....and pretty much what my old man was talking about. Although there were less hunters, there were also less deer, less competition for food sources, and a more balanced herd. With no one really hunting the land hard though, the deer that were there were able to reach old age.

Take a look at Canada.....
From what I have heard anyways(never been there), the deer numbers overall are low, but with millions of timbered acres, and with large bucksthat cango years without even seeinga human they get old and big. The harsh winters help keep the numbers in check too.

davidmil 12-05-2008 10:03 PM

Really, we Old timers don't think. Many think we know nothing and can't think in complete... what were we talkin' bout?

bowdoc1 12-06-2008 05:48 AM

Back when I started in 1965 there wasn't as many deer in Iowa. I could count all the bowhunters on my fingers that bowhunted it my town. I could even start to do that now. Yes bigger bucks running around but, if I seen 10 are 15 deer aseason I had a good year. I did huntthree state all the time and would take a lot of deer a year betweenIowa, Missouri and Nebraska.Some years Idid get to hunt out west when a elktag cost $50. A Iowa tag was $10 and I could hunt out state in Missouri for $20. Aluminums arrow cost $10 a doz.and a gross of woods was $10. A top of the line recurve bowswere around 70 to 140 bucks. Bowhunters lost more deer back than. It was aweekly thingto go out to help buddies go out tofind there deer. We was a closergroup back then every one knowed every one who bowhunted and were all friends.

hardcorehunter 12-06-2008 08:28 AM

More deer and bigger bucks than ever. My Grandpa is 86 and out hunting today with IA's opener gun season and he says that when he was a young man that you called your neighbors up if you saw a deer and it was big news....I can remember not too long ago when if a guy in a hunting party had an any sex tag it was a big deal...now they had them out by the handful..shoot em up. Deer are so thick that every vehicle my parents own, but one..have hit deer...and they have 5 vehicles.
Edit..Current world record nontypical killed within 30 miles of my parents' home just a few years ago. Yep..deer are bigger and more than ever here. Pheasant pop sux though..has for years. It is much easier to go out with a gun and shoot 3 deer in a day than 3 pheasants...used to be theopposite.

GMMAT 12-06-2008 08:49 AM

I'm 44....and I've been in the woods hunting "something" since I was 9. I grew up on a farm in very rural NC.....and I remember the day I saw the one and ONLY wild deer I ever laid eyes on there. I must have been 12-13yrs old. I went away to college having seen that one.......and two more deer we spotted in a field when we were on our way to the beach, once.

Our deer population in NC has grown over 450% since 1977.

THESE are the "good old days" of deer hunging in our state.

I also never saw a wild turkey until I was over 22yrs old.......and that was seen on the Blue Ridge PArkway in 1987. I was born in 1964. I sight hundreds per year, now.

wahoohunter 12-06-2008 09:19 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm 44....and I've been in the woods hunting "something" since I was 9. I grew up on a farm in very rural NC.....and I remember the day I saw the one and ONLY wild deer I ever laid eyes on there. I must have been 12-13yrs old. I went away to college having seen that one.
That last sentence is unbelievable, its hard to imagine only seeing one deer in your first 18 years or so. I noticed you said that you didn't originally deer hunt, when did you pick it up?

Lanse couche couche 12-06-2008 11:27 AM

Many, many more deer and much bigger bucks in southeastern Illinois. I remember in the mid-70s riding with my dad out in the country to see the rare "huge"10 pointbuck that someone had killed.Nowdays, there are probably a dozen much bigger bucks taken in that same general areaduring just one of the gun season, or by bow hunters during the first week of the rut. There was somewhat of a "if its brown its down" mentality 30 years ago because deer were rare enough that if you passed on one that came in range you might end the season empty handed. But then again back then, lots of folks just wanted to have some fun in the woods and bring back some meat, so not as much value was placed on big racks.

Hunter_59 12-06-2008 11:36 AM

The elusive 10 pt. "ghost" that everyone dreamed about years ago are virtually everywhere nowdays. These are definately the "good old days" of deer hunting. We as a fraternity of hunters ought to pat ourselves on the back! If it weren't for our fathers, grandfathers and ourselves, perpetuating the love of this sport,deer huntingas we know it would be non-existent. Hunters put their money where their hearts are! It's too bad theanti-hunting crowd just doesn'tget it!

bowdoc1 12-06-2008 12:12 PM

Some the old guy I knew said in the 50's They would go to Michigan are Wisconsin to bowhunt because it was the closet place to Iowa they could hunt with a bow & arrow. When Iowa started a deer season they were not going to have a bow season. Some them I knew said they had to go to theDNR as the Iowa State Archery ASS.Witch was formed in the the 40'S . Went to them with old Fred Bear and Howard Hill movie to show the theDNR to prove that a bow would kill a deer and also shot there bows to show them the bow & arrow was a tool for hunting deerThats way we have a bow season because of the work of these guys and because the DNR had no ideal archery was a organized group in our state.

GMMAT 12-06-2008 12:26 PM

That last sentence is unbelievable, its hard to imagine only seeing one deer in your first 18 years or so. I noticed you said that you didn't originally deer hunt, when did you pick it up?
I turned 40 shortly after taking up bowhunting for deer. You would think, frowing up on a farm where we could have a couple hundred acres of corn and lots of pasture land....I'd have seen a lot of deer growing up. I didn't. The one deer I saw (that I eluded to) was seen at my grandparents' house.....on a dead run through their front yard.

I had no idea of what it was, then. That's the truth.