Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The speed bow controversy >

The speed bow controversy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The speed bow controversy

Old 12-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Default RE: The speed bow controversy

GMMAT- I apologize, I misread your statement. Did you experience a loss of accuracy?
Did you feel that you were sacrificing anything? Why did you go back to a slower setup?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: mez

I find it odd how many elitist attitudes have made it into hunting.

I shoot a speed bow, I also shoot a recurve. My hunting buddy shoots slow target bows when hunting. I don't think mine is better than his and he doesn't think his is better than mine. We think that we both shoot what fits our needs and wants. There is no controversy unless you are tying to create one.
I tip my hat to anyone that can go out w/ a recurve and kill any game. I never said one bow is better than another. I would never bash someone else's equipment, its not my character. That wasn't my point.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

No loss in accuracy.

"Sacrificing anything"? Tough question. I know I didn't appreciate the draw cycle inherent with speed bows. I didn't like the way it felt like it would roll over (the wrong way) if I flinched.

I went to a 60# bow because I felt it would allow me to draw, hold and letoff with more control. I'm not lying when I say I can put my intended target in my sight ring and draw, hold and then letoff....and it never leave it (sight window). It's not a flamboyant assertion. I had to sacrifice speed to get here.

I like my hunting arrow flying at the speed it's flying, now (250fps with a 470gr. arrow). I think I'm going to enjoy seeing my arrow in flight and seeing it make impact (which I wasn't seeing.....be that MY issue or a correlation with high arrow speeds....I don't know). I saw both on my last deer taken .....which was with a 5yd shot.

Like I said.....if a man can do what I'm doing with a 70....or even higher....pound bow....then he's maximizing his setup to fit his needs, too. More power to him.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

What does it matter. Everyone has their opinions. They way this is starting to go Im definetly not voicing mine.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on your definition of speed....my Mathews LX with a 28.5" GoldTip 5575 and 100gr. 3 blade Muzzy is shooting around 265-270fps.And I can tell you that switching to a bow shooting 70 fps faster wouldn't make a difference. I've never had a deer jump my string, and get a complete pass thru 90% of the time. And like GMMAT mentioned, I to can pull back and release without moving my sight window, those radical cam bows are fast. but also the draw cycle is different to say the least. I am not bashing speed bows, but300+ fps is WAY overrated.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Brian/SC

TFOX- Personally, I'd never take a shot on a whitetail out to 40yds. 30yds is my max.
"what you give up often times outways what you gain" Please explain.

USUALLY,forgiveness is the first thing given up when going with a "speed" bow.

Shorter brace heights along with radical cams and some of the issues GMMAT eluded to all lend themselve to less forgiving in the moment of truth.

My bow is a fairly forgiving bow with a 7" brace and 36" a-a is a good setup for a 28" draw such as mine.This year I had to draw EARLY on a deer moving toward me UP a hill.So I had to hold longer than I would like and make a QUICK shot when I was busted by a deer with the buck I shot.The shot was dead center and I KNOW that if the bow was a speed bow,the shot wouldn't have been dead center as mine was.Yes,maybe the deer would have been killed at only 25 yards but speed really doesn't do much at 25 yards but shot placement does.

For the record,my bow is set at 53#'s and is shooting a whopping 230 fps.

I am getting a faster bow(actually on order) but it has a 7" brace and 35" a-a.The cams rollover is very forgiving so there are ways to achieve the best of both worlds.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, there is an ass for every seat.

There are those who like speed, and there are those who like comfort and shootability. Today's definition of a "speed bow" is definately more shootable than what it was 10 or 20 years ago, but a lot of shooters honestly cannot handle them as well or better than they could a more shooter friendly bow... and DEFINATELY not in hunting situations.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Fair enough.

The tone of your post came across to me as asking for opinions that you had predetermined were wrong.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I never say you shouldn't have speed. I say, I like my big old slow QUIET bow. My bow is rated at 320 fps or something like that. Well, put on my shorter arms and my 475 grain arrows, we just lost speed Houston. BUT, my bow is whisper quiet. I mean, it's just a puff when it goes off. Everyone who ever stands next to me when I shoot says, HOLY CRAP your bow is quiet. Heavy arrows are easier on the equipment. High stress of lower weight arrows and speed takes a toll on equipement. As far as more speed to achieve a higher percentage of pass throughs.... It's pretty hard to get better than 100 percent. I honestly don't remember when I didn't have a pass through. So here I am with this barn burner slinging a pole at 263 fps. You want speed that's fine. Me.... I'm happy right where I am. I long for the old days when I used to shoot 525 plus grain arrows. LOL
Old 12-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think speed is FAR over-rated for hunting whitetail deer. IMO, regardless of how "good" you think you are, a whitetail can react too fast when you start getting over 30-35 yards. The best archer in the world can't predict where a whitetail's kill zone will be when the arrow gets there. We will never catch up to the speed of a whitetail when it reacts tothe release of thearrow.

So, with that being said, I like a fast bow, but will put smoothness, ease of shooting, and forgiveness over speed any day.

Quick Reply: The speed bow controversy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.