Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Blocker/Scent Lok... >

Scent Blocker/Scent Lok...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Blocker/Scent Lok...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scent Blocker/Scent Lok...

Not trying to ruffle any feathers here, but I, after this season, believe ALL of the "scent eliminating" products to be a joke. They don't work!!! Don't waste your money!!! For one, Scent Blocker/Scent Lok say to put clothes into dryer to "Re-Activate".... NOT POSSIBLE that any dryer can get hot enough to re-activate, activated carbon.
I saw one thing while at the local hunting store that made me think, WTF>>> Dead Down Wind had scent eliminating chapstick! That was when I went back to basics and looked back at everything I have learned in the past and started hunting the wind, instead of "HUNTING 360". Needless to say my season went much better after that.
I ended up getting this buck and was proud as hell to get him after all of my troubles this year. (Corn was up WAY too late). I passed up on many animals that were bigger than him but am overall VERY happy with the the way this one hunt turned out!!!
Back to thesubject of the thread... I had soooo much frusteration by buying the"scent eliminating" gear this year, then getting busted/not seeing much, that I went back to what I learned just beginning bowhunting. HUNT THE WIND.That is the most important aspect to archery hunting. If you want to get close, they need to be upwinfof you.
I was all into the shoot nothing less than 130-140in class min buck too, but then realized alot of the deer I was getting on trailcam were not going to fit into my schedule of being able to hunt, so I am very happy with what I got. Congrats to all of HNI's members this season on their harvest!!

Below is the Buck I was after this year.

Beloware a couple more I would have been pumped to tag...

Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 PM

Default RE: Scent Blocker/Scent Lok...

Agreed. Scent elimination products are a joke. I am surprised after all the evidence supporting the fact that they can't be reactivated that these companies are still able to sell this junk at their outrageous prices. However I will admit that it cannot hurt anything, but I work to hard for my money to pour it into such a silly false confidents when its so much easier to just pay attention to wind. My 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 PM

I agree that hunting the wind is the most important part of being able to see deer from stand, but I won't completely disregard scent control products.

As for the clothes, I honestly have no idea if they work or not. I own a suit, but I only wear the pants[8D]. I just like the quality of the garments more than the idea of eleminating scent.

I wash my clothes on a regular basis with the appropriate scent eleminating laundry soap and spray down liberally with scent control spray before every hunt. I believe 100% that those 2 things help out a ton with cutting down on human scent dispertion.

But yea, playing the wind is stil the most important
Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Fork Horn

Agreed.. They do make good gear, but they DO NOT eliminate your scent. That has been proven to me many times this season. Hunt the wind and you will be MUCH more sucessful. Also, a friend I was with hit a buck in the shoulder bone using Rage 2 Blade broadheads, and the head snapped in half! He still had the screw in part of the head in the shaft but the head snapped off... I have hit deer in past years with fixed blades (Zwickey) and shattered the shoulder. I personally am switching back to fixed blades as this shouldnt have happened with a fixed blade at 70+ lbs with a Diamond Black Ice (or any 70LB bow for that matter).
Old 12-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

sent lock or sent blocker isn't for everyone. it is only for people who don't stop at going 100%. covering your body sent is only one thing and it can be done. 70% of human odor comes from your mouth, they have sprays for that. another big thing is what kind of shoes you wear, i use rubber boots just because they hold my sent in. i also like to use a cover sent to spray in my hair. i also now put skunk on the bottom of my boots. i have had sent loc work in so many situations where deer were standing down wind of me and never knowing that i was there. no matter how much you hunt the wind dirrection, most times the wind dirrection will change just at dawn or dusk right when a deer will come out, that is when sent loc pays for itself. also, with some of the better land you hunt, there are so many deer in so many dirrections, it only takes one deer to ruin the entire area.

here is the latest example of me using the sentlock for what it was made for: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3196761&mpage=1&key=&#319676 1

Old 01-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

All Scent Lok believers may want to read this.
http://www.trmichels.com/ActivatedCarbonScience.htm
Old 01-02-2009, 07:03 AM

Couldn't agree more. Hunt the wind, no matter how careful we are in eliminating our scent, you ain't foolin' a whitetails nose! Companies are out there to make money off of us, so why help'em out when it's not even proven?
Use a good detergent with no brighteners or fragrances, scrub your nutz with baking powder and hit the woods!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never bought any Scentlock (got some free socks once[8D]) so I really don't have an opinion on it. I know guys that swear by it and some that swear at it. The guys that I know that use it say its more of a confidence boost than anything else. It is nice quality gear, can't deny that. The chance that itmight work isn't worth the extra coin to me.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don’t know or care if the carbon suits work. I’ve had too many people really believe in them to doubt they are completely useless. But I do believe in trying to be as scent free as you can because where I hunt the wind NEVER blows from one direction for more than 3 minutes. And deer tend to come from almost any direction. Sometimes they bust you, sometimes they don’t but I’ve killed deer down wind of me when the text books said that should have never happened.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own zero scent-loc/blocker gear but all my clothes get washed and plastic bagged with each bag representing a hunt. It works well for me.

I guess the biggest problem I have with scent freeclothing is that people think they can wear them where ever they go from breakfast to the gas station.

I am curious as to whether they just keep human odor from getting out OR do they absorb outside odors as well? If I get the smell of bacon grease or burning tires on the outside of the garment are they still scent free. Is there an advantage to scent loc clothing if you wear them on the way to your spot or do you need to changeinto them to hunt??

Quick Reply: Scent Blocker/Scent Lok...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.