Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone else hunting in the snow? >

Anyone else hunting in the snow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone else hunting in the snow?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone else hunting in the snow?

im all tagged out
Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Do any of you guys ever stalk when theirs snow on the ground or not? And if so could you give me some pointers on how to do it, cause I really need some meat for the freezer!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

saw a few deer tonight..only hunted an hour and a 1/2 though. had three within bow range. 4 inches of new here
Old 12-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: joemr1288

Do any of you guys ever stalk when theirs snow on the ground or not? And if so could you give me some pointers on how to do it, cause I really need some meat for the freezer!
My experience with stalking whitetails is you get good exercise and that is about it. better to set and let them come to me
Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting in the snow makes things easier. Wet snow and a good wind will allow you to stalk/still hunt throught the tree's or on field edges. I took my first ever deer from the ground this yr. I had seen a good 10pt hrs earlier and wanted to see where he came from and where he was going. I walked to the other side of the field and walked the treeline. I came up on a doe bedded down behind a big oak tree. She was sleeeping...... I mean this was the only time I had ever seen a deer with its eye's closed. She didn't move an inch. I almost thought she was a stump at first. I stood there for 10min waiteing for her to make a move...... then her ear twitched. I drew back and grunted. She stood up and I released an arrow. Doe down. she only went 15yds and then dropped.
All I can say is what a sense of accomplishment.......... stalking a deer on their home turf.
At the end of the day try setting up on travel routed to and from bedding and feeding area's
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will be hunting this weekend....The deer are starting to return to the fields on the west side since gun is over...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

When hunting from the ground without a pop up blind whats the best way to set up on a deer trail without being noticed. Also I dont have any snow camo and can't really afford it at the moment so would that mess up my chances if I hunted from the ground without snow camo?
Old 12-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Spike

A few years back before I had snow camo I used a white bed sheet. I cut a hole out in the middle so that my head would fit through it. I took some dirt and made some lines with it to break up my outline. Overall it worked very good. Also I have seen people use white painter suits that they bought at Home Depot. Good luck out there in the white stuff. I am looking forward to going out this weekend for a sit.

Soup
Old 12-03-2008, 08:14 PM

Mmmmm, snowwwww..... Just the sight of snow on the ground gets the blood flowing! Where at in MI exactly? I want to go hunting too!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

I wish we had snow here

Quick Reply: Anyone else hunting in the snow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.