Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 For those who have hunted 10 yrs or more.. >

For those who have hunted 10 yrs or more..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

For those who have hunted 10 yrs or more..

Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: For those who have hunted 10 yrs or more..

I just finished my 22nd year and 34 years old now. I am more into itthan ever. I get lazy sometimes Landon....deep down inside I know I dont have enough time to learn a buck and track him.Either because of small property parcels or because of only weekend hunting....But my passion is bigger that ever.

If I could say one thing...I have learned alot in the last 5 years. I have learned to be more dedicated during the rut. Spending more time on stand. I have also learned that when the guns go off on Nov. 15th. I better be on stand...because..it can happen anytime. Dawn to dusk.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was my 10th year bowhunting. For my first 3 or 4 I would say I was a casual hunter. I would hunt a few days early in the year and then get after it when I could during the rut. I didn't harvest a deer until into my 3rd year, and got my first buck (120 inch 8 pointer) in my 4th year. That buck did something to me as a hunter and overtime my bank account lol.

I couldn't (and still can't) get enough of bowhunting, and with every new season, the passion and drive seems to become more intense. I have started mature buck hunting the last 4 years, but only the last 3 very hard. During that time I have spent countless hours sitting in a tree and only harvested 1 buck, which was not a giant, but a solid 3.5 yr. 9 pointer. From every season on I am learning some new tricks, hunting harder, andover the past 4 years have put myself in theposition to harvest multiple P&Y animals, just nothing has came full circle yet.

There are some mornings when I look outside and hear the wind holwing or the rain coming down and think I should just stay in bed, but something always drags me out and has me flying to my hunting spot in the early morning, and the feeling thatI still get when I see that first yearling doe on a hunt tells me that I won't be giving this bowhunting thing up any time soon.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

After 24 years I have no idea what I am doing My wife tells me the samething in bed[8D]

Every year I learn how much I really do not know about whitetails.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Good post Landon...Every year a deer does something that makes me shake my head. I will turn 30 in March and I still remember that first bow season 17 years ago. I had a buddy that told me about deer in velvet and that I had to have a bow to kill one(due to the early bow season). Well here we are this many years later and I still have yet to see a deer even remotely close to a shooter in velvet. Thats funny, that is the first time I have thought about that in a long time. What a jouney that has taken me on. Thanks Landon for inadvertantly reminding me of a good time in my life.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellas-this is the start of my 52nd year of Bowhunting-Never gun hunted but nothing wrong with that either. 100+++++Whitetails later.
I always look forward to the Deer Season & LOVE to Bowhunt.
I "STILL" get fooled by Deer after all these years-sometimes I wonder if I HAVE learned anything. I have met ALL my goals "I GUESS". I have killed almost every size Whitetail but still HOPE for one bigger. I came within 10 feet of getting a shot at the BIGGEST Buck ever this year & he just "FELT" something wasn't right & turned & walked away.
I could have shot him straingt up the back as he walked away at 15 yds but did not want to chance wounding such a magnificant animal-it was NOT ment to be. I feel good that out of ALL the TIMBER I "PICKED" the right spot for my stand (I don't use trail cams). I now expand my Bowhunting to off season hog Bowhunts in Tx. & Ok. & Javalina once in awhile. I managed 2 Porkers in Oklahoma in June of this year.
Pic. is a Doe that walked in at 25 yds & stopped the 26th of Nov.-5 days after my 67th birthday. I have been blessed with great family (kids too) and probably many Bowhunts that others will only dream of. Enjoy your faith & family FIRST and Bowhunting Adventures after that. Each time we go to the woods, it IS an ADVENTURE-your trying to fool an animal on his OWN TURF.. Sorry to ramble. I look like a Deer caught in the headlighs in this pic where she fell-I wasn't ready.....

Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've been bowhunting a lot longer than 10 years, and I'll tell you what. I haven't killed any "big" bucks yet, but my love for this sport intensifies with each year that passes. If you ever get the chance to hunt in Alberta you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.Here's a pic (before and after)of my little Bow Zone 9pt (for those who didn't see it) that I killed last week. I missed the buck (150"+ 8pt) that I went up there for, but I got a booby prize. I've NEVER seen rut activity like I saw up therelast week. Ten bucks and four doe by 1:00PM. UNREAL!!

Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

do you find yourself better educated on deer? do you find yourself completely in awe of deer and their behavior and want to tag a big buck every year?? or have you grown tired or lazy and just gothrough the motions of deer hunting every year but don't really care anymore? Me, Im in my 20th season deer hunting and Im Im more interested in hunting than ever... I also have learned more each and every year, but sometimes I neglect what i learn...at times I just go through motions and grow tired of the routine....never to point I want to give up or lose interest, but grow tired and sometimes look forward to the end oft he season, until about 2 weeks later and then Im charged up.
Thats meto the point after 35 years of deer hunting an in my20th year with bow.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ahunter55

Well fellas-this is the start of my 52nd year of Bowhunting-Never gun hunted but nothing wrong with that either. 100+++++Whitetails later.
I always look forward to the Deer Season & LOVE to Bowhunt.
I "STILL" get fooled by Deer after all these years-sometimes I wonder if I HAVE learned anything. I have met ALL my goals "I GUESS". I have killed almost every size Whitetail but still HOPE for one bigger. I came within 10 feet of getting a shot at the BIGGEST Buck ever this year & he just "FELT" something wasn't right & turned & walked away.
I could have shot him straingt up the back as he walked away at 15 yds but did not want to chance wounding such a magnificant animal-it was NOT ment to be. I feel good that out of ALL the TIMBER I "PICKED" the right spot for my stand (I don't use trail cams). I now expand my Bowhunting to off season hog Bowhunts in Tx. & Ok. & Javalina once in awhile. I managed 2 Porkers in Oklahoma in June of this year.
Pic. is a Doe that walked in at 25 yds & stopped the 26th of Nov.-5 days after my 67th birthday. I have been blessed with great family (kids too) and probably many Bowhunts that others will only dream of. Enjoy your faith & family FIRST and Bowhunting Adventures after that. Each time we go to the woods, it IS an ADVENTURE-your trying to fool an animal on his OWN TURF.. Sorry to ramble. I look like a Deer caught in the headlighs in this pic where she fell-I wasn't ready.....

My hat's off to you my friend.Wow, I'll bet you have some stories to tell! Your always welcome at my campfire and I'll mix you a cold one.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

After 24 years I have no idea what I am doing My wife tells me the samething in bed[8D]
Gary don"t let it bother you, she tells me the same thing.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM

ahunter55, wow. Im impressed to hell and back brother!! 100+ animals with the bow and you are 67 yrs old still getting after it! I think we have a new hero on the forum!!! that's awesome, I can only hope to have your knowledge and memories when it's all said and done... kudos!!

Quick Reply: For those who have hunted 10 yrs or more..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.