HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   i feel ashamed guys... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/276432-i-feel-ashamed-guys.html)

my7pointmonster 12-02-2008 04:22 AM

i feel ashamed guys...

Yesterday morning around 735 I shot a monster doe with my rifle. Well that's all fine and dandy but you know I wasn't happy or proud of it in any way granted it was a great shot and a monster doe but after I shot it I diddnt feel any excitement. I feel ashamed right now to call myself a hunter. I shot this doe and walked down with my friend gave him a high five and that was it. Maybe it was the fact that I wanted to see him shoot one more than I wanted to see myself shoot one and its scary to say it but I felt like since I shot it with my rifle I was "less" of a hunter because of it. Nothing was done illegally or anything of that nature but last night into this mornig I diddnt sleep so good. Its 20 after 6 right now and I can't sleep. I think its time for me to quit rifle hunting all together because if I'm gonna feel like this after I shoot a big doe than forget that I was happier when I went to my friends house and his 10 year old son shot his first doe I was happier for him than I was all day for myself. I've never experienced this when I shoot something with my bow. Sorry guys I just needed to vent I guess.

Ryan

07tomkat 12-02-2008 05:20 AM

RE: i feel ashamed guys...

I wouldn't worry about it man. Sometimes those feelings of joy don't appear right away for something that you harvest and once you get some time to reflect on what happened you will be happy.

Alot of bowhunters feel the same way about gun hunting and that is why they don't gun hunt and only go out during archery season. Do what makes you feel the happiest.

NavyDeerHunter 12-02-2008 05:56 AM

I hear ya and am in the same boat. I shot one on Saturday, our opening day of gun season and just did not feel the same. It was more just "meat in the freezer" than it was the thrill of the hunt and the pride and joy of accomplishment. I saw this deer coming from a good distance, had a chance to steady the ML on the trunk of my tree, have it in the cross hairs and simply wait for the shot opening. Not much of a challenge. If I would have had my bow that deer would have had to get much closer and from the area it was coming from would have stood a very good chance of spotting me and bolting.

BigRing 12-02-2008 06:15 AM

Hmmmmmm......You say you got to go hunting,spent some time w/ a friend, and got to harvest a nice doe. Also, throw in the current price of meat at the store.......I don't think anyone would think anything less of you.

GMMAT 12-02-2008 06:35 AM

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. ONLY person you have to be true to (hunting-wise) is you.

There's NOTHING wrong with taking game with a gun. It's just not "for me". Is it for you?

BowHuntingFool 12-02-2008 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

Yesterday morning around 735 I shot a monster doe with my rifle. Well that's all fine and dandy but you know I wasn't happy or proud of it in any way granted it was a great shot and a monster doe but after I shot it I diddnt feel any excitement. I feel ashamed right now to call myself a hunter. I shot this doe and walked down with my friend gave him a high five and that was it. Maybe it was the fact that I wanted to see him shoot one more than I wanted to see myself shoot one and its scary to say it but I felt like since I shot it with my rifle I was "less" of a hunter because of it. Nothing was done illegally or anything of that nature but last night into this mornig I diddnt sleep so good. Its 20 after 6 right now and I can't sleep. I think its time for me to quit rifle hunting all together because if I'm gonna feel like this after I shoot a big doe than forget that I was happier when I went to my friends house and his 10 year old son shot his first doe I was happier for him than I was all day for myself. I've never experienced this when I shoot something with my bow. Sorry guys I just needed to vent I guess.

Ryan

Your kidding right?????? :eek: You should sell all your guns and move on, then you'll be a real hunter!;):D:D:D:D

bigcountry 12-02-2008 07:08 AM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Your kidding right?????? :eek: You should sell all your guns and move on, then you'll be a real hunter!;):D:D:D:D
Well this is a strange post. Hey man, do whatever it takes to get that feeling your looking for. Matt/PA was discussing this on PM one day. He just got a revolver and is all excited to pistol hunt. I don't blame him. I started blackpowder pistol hunting. I like using my toys. All of them. I love taking a 600 yard shot at a deer with my rifle and hand building that perfect load. Its a special skill in itself. I love watching the smoke roll after letting loose a roundball from a 44 walker on a cold day. I love watching my arrow lob from my longbow and that whisper quiet noise it makes. I love watching the an arrow scream at 280fps with bone crushing forcethru a deer. Just enjoy hunting, and the prepreation with your toys in the offseason.

buffhntr 12-02-2008 07:17 AM

Sounds like you need to hang up the rifle for good and bow hunt only. I felt the same way about 5 years ago. I shot a good 10pt with a gun and shortly after that I sold my deer guns and have hunted with only a bow since.

louddrummer69 12-02-2008 07:23 AM

Don't sweat it guy I feel the same way. I don't ever get too much joy rifle hunting. I guess what I should say is I love hunting so much that I will go rifle hunting but the joy I get after harvesting an animal is very minimal compared to that of a bow.

BobCo19-65 12-02-2008 07:26 AM

I know the feeling, I put down the gun also years ago in similar circumstances. Seems like your going through the stages.

If you want to save some time and money going through further stages, you may want to just try making a selfbow for yourself over the off season and see where it takes you. ;)

Handles 12-02-2008 07:57 AM

After harvesting a doe and a buck with the bow this year, I had no interest (or need) to shoot one with the rifle. I sat with my dad for the first time in 20 years. It was very enjoyable seeing him get excited about deer we were seeing. Perhaps something like that would be an option for you? I'm not selling my rifle anytime soon. I very much enjoy shooting it, but it isn't close to the same challenge as bow hunting.

burniegoeasily 12-02-2008 08:06 AM

Its sad that someone feels upset about harvesting an animal. I have not shot a deer with a gun in a while, but i would not get upset to do so. I sure would not lose any sleep. Nothing unethical or illegal was done. The deer is just as dead and will eat all the same. I just dont understand the reason for the shame. I will be out in two weeks shooting bobcats and yotes with a rifle. I will not feel a bit shameful to do so. I have taken several varmits with my bows, and it is much more of a thrill, but Its not going to cause me any concern when I shot one with a rifle.

GregH 12-02-2008 08:08 AM

I enjoy hunting deer no matter what the season or weapon. I prefer the bow but I like them all. I don't let myself get caught up in such things as which was more challenging and what not. It's all fun for me. I have never felt bad for killing a deer.

buttonbuckmaster 12-02-2008 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: GregH
It's all fun for me. I have never felt bad for killing a deer.
I agree 100%. I shot one of the smallest deer I've ever killed Saturday morning. I shot it becuase my 11 year old son was with me in the ground blind, we sat until almost 10am. He was a tough little guy, staying out in the cold. When the doe came down the trail, I asked him if I should shoot it. He just looked at me funny and said "Isn't that why we went hunting?" :DMinutes later we were field dressing and dragging out "our" doe. We spent that afternoon cutting it up and putting it in the freezer. I'll take a day of hunting like that any day over killing a wallhanger while huntingby myself.

StrikeTrue 12-02-2008 08:22 AM

Ryan
Speechless :eek:

my7pointmonster 12-02-2008 08:25 AM

I just feel like o0o0o0oo I shot one with a rifle look at Me mr. Outdoorsman I shot a doe from 90 yards after walking up on it. Then rthe gun went bang it ran 35 yards and piled up what an accomplished hunter that makes me. I think because rifle hunting takes the "personal" vendeta out of the situation it makes me feel like ohh big deal I guess like the one guy said he can set 600 yards away and drop it like a ton of crap. It would make it to me like ohh yay another one bites the dust I'd be more entused that I even hit the deer at 600 yards than accully killing it to begin with. I think I may start taking kids out hunting via I almost cried the first time I ever shot a deer. The feeling just isn't there anymore for me and rifle hunting its like the one guy said "its just filling the freezer". Which is absolutley true. Had I shot one in archery season then we wouldn't be doing this post right now but now that it came to this it just dosent feel right.

Ryan.

NY Bowhunter 12-02-2008 08:31 AM

I can relate. Had a similar situation. That was the last day I hunted with a gun. Nothing at all against gun hunting or killing deer with a gun. It's just a personal deal. Didn't do it for me anymore so I stopped. The excitement of killing a deer with a bow is the same if not more than day 1 for me. That will never go away. It's just a matter of what satisfies you. You'll figure it out.

NEW61375 12-02-2008 08:36 AM

I enjoy hunting deer no matter what the season or weapon. I prefer the bow but I like them all. I don't let myself get caught up in such things as which was more challenging and what not. It's all fun for me. I have never felt bad for killing a deer.
Well said!

Dopler 12-02-2008 08:37 AM

This is the exact BS I've been preaching about. Why would you feel bad about shooting a doe? Would a little6 pointhave made you feel bettereven thoughan adult doe is ten times smarter than a yearling buck?

Rory/MO 12-02-2008 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Dopler

This is the exact BS I've been preaching about. Why would you feel bad about shooting a doe? Would a little6 pointhave made you feel bettereven thoughan adult doe is ten times smarter than a yearling buck?
Uhhhh what?

Hunter_59 12-02-2008 08:41 AM

What ever floats your boat! If you can't get a thrill about hunting then it may be time to hang it up. You can make gun hunting anything you want it to be just like bow hunting. You can set parameters in your hunting i.e.; not taking a shot over a certain yardage, not shooting a certain size of animal, or using a more primitive weapon for examples, but their should be no reason to feel upset about taking an animal as long as it's legal. Maybe you have these feelings because you didn't challenge "yourself" enough!

Wolfpack 12-02-2008 09:15 AM

I just love to hunt!! I prefer a bow but I will also rifle or shotgun it from time to time also. Around here I am LUCKY if I see 1 "good" buck per season and by "good" I mean 3.5 yr. old or older,to the ears or wider. I do shoot does but I love to try as hard as I can to kill a decent buck and I sometimesfeel it is just better for me to take my gun and sit rather than watch my 1 opportunity walk by out of range and then be sick the rest of the season. This happened 2 yrs ago. I had my biggest buck ever @ 40 yrds and could not get a shot with my bow. I was devasted! Frustrated, I came back 2 days later and killed him with my rifle @ 12 yrds. Was I happy? YOU BET!! Would it have been sweeter with my bow? Of course, but I am still thrilled today and remember every detail of both hunts. What it boils down to is if it does not make you happy, excited, pulse racing thrilled to kill a deer with a gun then just keep your bow. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

my7pointmonster 12-02-2008 09:32 AM

The fact that it was a doe was irrelevant like I said it was more "lets fill the freezer" type of deal if it had 3 points on one side it would have been in trouble trust me when I say that too. But no the fact that its a doe has no bearing on my hunting, if it did why on earth did I get a bonus doe tag??

Ryan.

Wolfpack 12-02-2008 09:46 AM

I may not have gotten my point across and sorry if I didn't but whatI was trying to say is that you should not feel ashamed of killing a deer by any legal means BUT if it doesn't make you happy to kill a deer with a gun then let the arrows fly:D It is all about getting out there a being happy anyway and trying to escape what is going on in the real world at least for a few hours at a time. (for me anyway) Good luck and fill that freezer!;)

rybohunter 12-02-2008 09:52 AM

I kind of see your point, but on the other hand, its a flippin deer. Meant to be shot by people to keep thier numbers in check. Use whatever tool you deem "worthy" to hunt with, but losing sleep and getting all bent out of shape is a little much. Bow hunting isn't the center of the universe and rifle hunting isn't evil. Theres a lot of ground in between that you may find enjoyable. Good luck.

my7pointmonster 12-02-2008 06:21 PM

I don't think rifle hunting is evil I just think that rifle hunting isn't for me there was a transition apparently from when rifle hunting did it for me and when it did nothing that I missed and apparently it was recently enough that it sucks real bad right now.

Ryan.

MichiganWhitetails74 12-02-2008 06:29 PM

I guess be true to yourself and do what your heart tells you to do. Maybe carry a camera and video your buds during gun season?

I feel 150% with a bow kill & 125% with gun kills....all around I'm in the woods, I have venison...and I have another cherished memory....I just love it....I love a good doe on the ground in the snow with the muzzleloader....If I'm into the deer...you'll see me smiling.

LouisianaTomkat 12-02-2008 06:37 PM

In response, 4 years ago I had the same experience. This was before I purchased my first bow. I sat on the edge of a pipeline and had a mature doe and yearling at 50yds. I chose to shoot the mature deer. 30-06, 1 shot took out the spine and upper lungs. Dropped in her tracks. I was sitting in a lawn chair hidden behind some small pine saplings. I walked up to this deer, grateful for the meat and the hunt, but lacking in excitement. I hung up the gun for my son and daughter only. I may pick it up again one day, but for now, bowhunting excites me every hunt whether I make a harvest or not.

LT

MichaelP 12-02-2008 07:24 PM

I am thinking that if this were a 150" deer we would be reading a different post inthe deer hunting section. If you do not want to use a gun that is cool and well respected, but to feel shame for killing a deer is wrong IMO.

supaflav 12-02-2008 08:12 PM

There's no need to feel ashamed. Actually you should take it as a postive, that you learned something about yourself.Hunting with a firearmjust doesn't do it for you anymore. You took a doe and that will help with your herd ratio and that's never a bad thing. You would've felt much worse if it had been a mature buck and it wouldn't have been asrewarding. I climbed ina shhoting house last year witha rifle, because I only had about 1 hour to hunt after work. Once I was settled in the stand, I found my self praying that a big buck WOULDN'T walk out. I knew right then that my days of hunting with a rifle were behind me....and I couldn't be happier.

pick00l 12-02-2008 08:35 PM

I can share my experience.

My entire hunting life (12 to 30) thus far I have found I love everything about the thrill of the hunt. I love the outdoors the challenge of finding and getting within range of deer. This is both bow, rifle, or smoke pole. I have taken 3 buck in my life. Taken no does. I have only shot at 3 or 4 doe ever and they were all in the late season with my flintlock in PA. Personally, I have never felt the real need to shoot doe. I figured I wanted meat but, I also wanted a head on the wall. I do enjoy the meat by the way. NOTE: I have passed up plenty of buck and doe in archery and some in rifle.

Why would I only target buck and not doe? Why would I pass up buck when I was 13,14,15,16 years of age and never taken a deer before? The simple fact is that I learned at a young age that I did not have to "kill" for the sake of killing, eating meat, or bragging (Not that there is anything wrong with any of these). I found that I would actually not get excited in the least over doe or certain buck. Why.. no idea. I just learned to accept it and attempt shots when my blood would sizzle and heart start to race. Now, I would not have it any other way. Will I shoot a doe now? Sure, if my blood gets pumping, I will not hesitate. I'll be proud if it when it happens because I know it was the time.

On more than one occasion, I actually found myself talking myself.... into shooting a deer. One of these times it was a spike buck with half a rack. I had been hunting for years and did not have a deer under my belt. It was first day of rifle in PA and I spotted a doe and this half spike 30 yards from me in my stand. After what seemed like 10 minutes of debating if I actually wanted to kill this deer they moved off and I never had to make a final decision. Would have been my first buck ever.. you would think I would have been excited? About 2 hours later, I spotted another deer in the same spot the other two were. I saw horns. Without any hesitation (elapse time T minus 7 seconds) I had the safety off, hammer back and bang. Another time I debated shooting a deer it was in ML season and I felt like I had to shoot at something as why else was I hunting. I shot and missed a doe. About a hour later, I was walking around and saw 3 doe together about 40 - 50 yards away. Perfect clear shot. I looked at each one and said....good luck making it through winter...I'm not shooting at you.

I typed this LONG story just to share my experience. I only shoot now when the blood gets going. It takes less than a second for me to know if I am going to shoot or not. I go with my instinct and no longer talking to myself about to shoot or not to shoot. In fact, if I hesitate in the least... I catch myself doing that and do not shoot.

This makes me no less of a gun hunter than a bow hunter etc. Has nothing to do with the challenge. In fact, I prefer to hunt with a bow. More intimate. When rifle rolls around. Gun in hand I am just as happy to shoot to kill.

Good luck dealing with what your thinking about. I do not expect other hunters to share the same view point, the above is my personal experience.

stealthycat II 12-03-2008 12:30 AM

you should be ashamed - you've lost what it means to hunt

1shotkill1993 12-03-2008 07:01 AM

I would of loved to kill a big doe with anything. Haven't seen one all year.

Hoytail Hunter 12-03-2008 07:06 AM

I shot this doe and walked down with my friend gave him a high five and that was it...

its scary to say it but I felt like since I shot it with my rifle I was "less" of a hunter because of it. I think its time for me to quit rifle hunting all together...

I've never experienced this when I shoot something with my bow...
These are the reasons why I haven't touched any of my guns in I don't remember.

Not to project this onto anybody else, but personally I feel that if "I" shoot a mature buck with my high powered rifle, I'd just disrespected him. If I'm gonna kill him, I'llat least give him the honor of a slick trick.At one time I limited my gunhunting to only antlerless. Now I'm not even sure if I will pull the trigger on one either.

^not to be taken as elitist attitude. It's personal preference that I push on nobody but myself. It is the lack of adrenaline rushas mentioned by my7ptr that has brought me here. Simply put, why do something if it doesn't bring you joy?

GMMAT 12-03-2008 07:08 AM

What you described, Heu....is you becoming a bowhunting "purist".

That's not a dirty word.

PreacherTony 12-03-2008 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

I agree 100%. I shot one of the smallest deer I've ever killed Saturday morning. I shot it becuase my 11 year old son was with me in the ground blind, we sat until almost 10am. He was a tough little guy, staying out in the cold. When the doe came down the trail, I asked him if I should shoot it. He just looked at me funny and said "Isn't that why we went hunting?" :DMinutes later we were field dressing and dragging out "our" doe. We spent that afternoon cutting it up and putting it in the freezer. I'll take a day of hunting like that any day over killing a wallhanger while huntingby myself.
I agree with you guys ... BBM ...you and I are definitely cut from the same rock .....:)

My7 ...... dude ... you take too much crap on here too seriously ....it's a flipping deer ..... don't take a jacuzzi and throw in a toaster now :eek:

LittleChief 12-03-2008 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

I agree with you guys ... BBM ...you and I are definitely cut from the same rock .....:)

My7 ...... dude ... you take too much crap on here too seriously ....it's a flipping deer ..... don't take a jacuzzi and throw in a toaster now :eek:
I'm with you, PT.

I have only felt bad about the deer that I've killed with a gun once. It was three yearsago when the "doe" I shot turned out to be a button buck. I got over feeling bad when I cut into those marinated and grilled backstraps though..... ;)

I'll admit that I enjoy the challenge of bow hunting more than gun hunting, but I still enjoy gun hunting, and I'll drop a doe with a rifle in a heartbeat and still be totally content with my successful hunt. Hey, that's just me, and I'm perfectly happy with this arrangement.

HuntinGUS 12-03-2008 08:32 AM

I enjoy Doe hunting with my gun. I approach it a little differently but I still get excited at knowing if I see it I can shoot it. My family and I like to eat it so I don't have a bad feeling at all when I am standing over a dead doe.

IMHO I cannot understand the ashamed feeling. What are you ashamed of?

Thisto me is just another example of the big buck super hunter, QDM that are seen on TV all of the time rubbing off on a young hunter and making him feel bad for something he should not. [&:]

Germ 12-03-2008 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

I enjoy Doe hunting with my gun. I approach it a little differently but I still get excited at knowing if I see it I can shoot it. My family and I like to eat it so I don't have a bad feeling at all when I am standing over a dead doe.

IMHO I cannot understand the ashamed feeling. What are you ashamed of?

Thisto me is just another example of the big buck super hunter, QDM that are seen on TV all of the time rubbing off on a young hunter and making him feel bad for something he should not. [&:]
I agree, execpt for the QDM part, hell the ecourage guys to take mature does.

Gun
Bow
ML

It does not matter;)

hardcorehunter 12-03-2008 08:40 AM

Nothing wrong with rifle hunting not tripping your trigger; doesn't trip mine either and I only hunt with a bow now. We are always evolving and reaching different levels in our life.