Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Beginner bows

Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM

Default Beginner bows

Hi guys,

I've been reading up on bowhunting for the last couple of weeks..I have been deer huinting for several years now, and would REALLy like to learn to bow hunt. I dont even know how to shoot a bow (embarrasing) but I do have someone to teach me..and just want some opinions on good bows that are huntworthy for deer that would be a good beginning bow w/o breaking the bank...

I should also mention I do have a bone tumor on my shoulder that is being removed this january, dosnet really hurt much unless I move it just thw "right" way..that I think will hinder me some until I recover..but It is legal to use a crossbow where I live as well...but they seem sooo expensive for a good one!!! and I have no Idea what I'm looking at....

any advice, suggestions? on huntworth beginner crossbow or bows? I will research what ever suggestions you guys have...

thanks in advance
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Beginner bows

A crossbow is a perfectly viable option. Depending on the condition of your shoulder and whether you are able to draw a bow, this will be the determining factor on your choice of a compound or crossbow. If you can handle a compound id take a look at the Martin Bengal, its a great beginner bow, doesn't break the bank and is a great shooter. Good Luck.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:43 AM

thank you striketrue that is a nice bow!
I was browsing basspro website and this one also caught my eye...does this one seem good for someone learning?
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_101433?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT&cmid=PP _P0_2#reviews

my fiance has offered to let me pick out my own xmas gift..and she knows I've REALLY been wanting to learn to bow hunt, but we've been waiting on my shoulder...I just cant wait any longer!!! I think it will be ok

So If I were to purchase the above listed bow, what else would I need to go with it? arrows of course...and for a begginer is a release neccesary?

Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Scott, I have a couple set ups that are barely used that I would sell for very reasonable. They are not "beginner's" bows at all, but would sell for a bargain. I will send you a pm for details.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crossbows are perfectly legal in Virginia, if you should choose to go that route.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you live in Virginia, which your name is suggesting, then yes crossbows are legal. I own a Parker Cyclone. Great bow, I love it.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:58 PM

while i own a mail-order archery buisness, and i'd love to sell you a bow, the truth is, for a first bow, you really need to go buy it in a good pro-shop, they can help you find a bow that fits your frame and your budget.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Dave Eders,

I just bought a bow sight from you guys! Fast shipping and great price, keep up the good work!