Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bow tune ups

Old 04-03-2003, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default bow tune ups

how often should you tune a bow i personally do it before every season am i waisting money or am i doin the right thing i know it dont hurt, but lookin for opinions
Old 04-03-2003, 07:30 PM

Default RE: bow tune ups

For piece of mind, I check everything out on my dual cam once a week. But now with my No-peep. I have not checked it in 3 weeks. It will catch it, without all the tool set up.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:18 PM

I have my bow restrung and the axles cleaned and lubed once per year......
Each time the bow seems to shoot quieter and smoother...
Old 04-04-2003, 06:48 AM

I shoot quite often. I thinking tuning is a continual process. I never really stop.

Sometimes my efforts actually turn into " untuning" . I end up screwing something up or changing something for the worse. I then just go back to what worked before. This process makes me more familiar with my bow, teahces me the skill needed to work on my bow, and makes me more confident in my equipment.

Old 04-04-2003, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

As buckskin made mention to, I think it depends on how much you really shoot the bow. If you are a one season shooter then once a year is probably fine. But, the more you shoot the bow then the more wear and tear the bow absorbs...and, subsequently, the higher the chance that the cams/limbs, cables, etc... might need regularly maintenance and an occasional tuning check.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:12 AM

I work at an archery shop so I' m lucky enough to have all of the equipment at my fingertips, as buckskin mentioned, I tinker with my bow almost constantly, I' m always trying new methods and new things. Plenty of times, this ends up setting me back instead of forward and I have to return to where I was previously.

Working on your bow and keeping things in good shape helps to give you more confidence in your setup and therefore helps you to shoot better. If you only use your bow a little, at least make sure the string stays waxed, and the bow gets greased once a year or so. When you take it in to be greased, you can have the shop check your string to see if it needs to be replaced. If you dont shoot often, and you wax your string enough, it shouldn' t need replacement every year.

It definitely doesn' t take much time to go over your bow with an allen wrench set to make sure everything is snug each fall as well.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:30 AM

If I shoot 100 shots without messing with something......LOL
Old 04-04-2003, 09:34 AM

I hear you Rack....
Old 04-04-2003, 09:10 PM

Its a constant process that never stops. Every time I shoot it seems I am always checking something and making slight adjustment.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

How much you shoot is one thing that determines how often you need to tune. Another thing is how radical your setup is. A high energy, hard cam rig HAS to be kept perfectly microtuned to shoot decent. Especially with broadheads. Just like a dragster engine, high performance demands high maintenance.

I shoot a relatively low performance, round wheel bow. When I first got my bow, I microtuned it and made notes about the brace height, axle to axle length, tiller, draw weight, rest centershot and nock set measurements when I got finished. Now, if my shooting starts going sour, all I have to do is press the bow down, twist up my string and cables to get everything back to my baseline measurements and then check the rest and nockset. Shoot a few broadheads to check arrow flight and I' m tuned up again.

I quit messing around with sights and releases and went strictly fingers/barebow. So, I don' t have to worry about loose sight pins, peeps not turning right, string loops stretching and wearing out and all that other stuff. With my heavy arrows, I don' t have to worry much about bushing wear or bent axles. It' s simple and low maintenance. Sure, it means I have to shoot quite a bit to keep in practice but shooting arrows is my favorite hobby. Tuning is NOT on my favorites list.

Quick Reply: bow tune ups

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.