HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Am I really done? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/276329-am-i-really-done.html)

GMMAT 12-01-2008 04:01 PM

Am I really done?

The family I donate meat to got another deer today....compliments of our very own iamyourhuckleberry.:)

They said they thought they had enough in the freezer to last them through the season, now (as others have also given them venison). I have two of my own in the freezer.....and I just don't know if I wanna pay to have another deer processed....just to give it away.

So.....unless someone says they need one......I think I might be done.....with 3 weeks still left in the season.

Weird.[&:]

mr4pt 12-01-2008 04:03 PM

RE: Am I really done?

Can you process it yourself and then give it away?

GMMAT 12-01-2008 04:07 PM

Ya know....I didn' think of that. I DO have neighbors who would like some venison. That's a great thought.

That was simple, huh?[&:]:D

mr4pt 12-01-2008 04:13 PM

I'm glad I got you thru these tough times;)

Vabowman 12-01-2008 04:13 PM

there are sooo many people that want meat all the time, never an issue if i don't have room in my freezer, then again, i don't freeze it much anyway, it pretty much gets eaten shortly after the kill.

GMMAT 12-01-2008 04:14 PM

Thanks, mr4....

Whewww! That was close!

Vito1 12-01-2008 04:16 PM

First, kudos to you for donating the meat instead of wasting it. Can the person you give the deer to pay for processing? Seems like a small price for all that venison. The price for processing in my area averages about $60/deer. Not sure what it is by you. If I didn't/couldn't hunt, I would gladly pay the $60.

Hoytail Hunter 12-01-2008 04:21 PM

If I told myself I was done I'd be lying to myself. The itch will hit, you will hunt. I probably gave away 250lbs of meat so far this season. It costover a grand in fuel bills to date just to give it away. I probably spent 100hrs hunting, skinning, quartering,and deboning all my deer.It is "the cost of doing business." I'll be in business til the state shuts me down.

GMMAT 12-01-2008 04:24 PM

Vito you make a good point. I need to make a call or two. I know some people who would probably like to at least split a deer or two.

Honestly....I'd split one more with someone....and we're talking $50, here. Last three weeks will probably see me in observation stands, honestly. No reason to go to places I know deer travel. I've got an entire ridge I haven't stepped onto.

davidmil 12-01-2008 04:29 PM

I'm done, because I still have a cold and the season ends Sunday. Besides that, I have 2 in the freezer. More than I need. Last night our power went off for several hours. I started going into my panic mode about loosing it all.4 or 5 years ago we were without power in Maryland for 7 days and I did loose it all.

My 65 year old student shot his 3rd deer of the year with my old Darton today. He's got a petting zoo going on with a lot of animals around. He ran 3 or 4 off from in front of his stand when he went in. 20 minutes later 2 more came out and he nailed one at 25 yards. Not bad for a rookie bowhunter to whack 3 his first year out. I know he's never going to give me back my bow.[&:] I think I should send him an invoice for lessons, used equipment and lodging. LOL