Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I think I just found my Halloween buck! >

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

OK....I have a couple questions/statements....

1. What would a deer look like that had been in a cooler for 1 month? We've had temps here in the teens, 20's and 30's at night.....and highs in the 40's and low 50's most. I suppose a LOT of freeze/thaw.

2. I didn't find my BH.....but I gotta be honest....I didn't spend a ton of time in there. I figured the entire arrow could've easily been pulled. It stunk to high heaven. His crotch and everything inside, cavity-wise, was gone. The rest of his body, I gotta be honest....don't look terrible. Eyes are gone. But...his coat doesn't look that bad.

3. There's a wound where I thought my arrow entered....but I can't tell you for sure it was my arrow.

When I shot this buck it was in the low 20's .....and I glassed him. I had fog on my binos....and I couldn't make his rack out DEFINITIVELY. But it looks to be the same one. I told everyone he was a 90-100" buck....and that's what he is. I might be fooled and he could go a little higher.

I dont know what to think, really. It's not that I'm happy. I'm not. I'd just like to know if its him....and I don't know if I can say that for sure. If he had no wound....there wouldn't be a question. He has one....right where I thought it was.....and that's what makes me think it is him.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

thats a big coincidence if its not him. Are you 100% that thats the spot you saw your arrow hit, or are you just telling yourself that?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Rob....

The shot was at 30yds or so....quartering away. I hit him in his right side...angling towards the vitals. I won't lie, though....it was a bit back....but it needed to be.

When he left....I thought I saw the arrow fletching sticking up.

Other than that.....I fond this buck...which fits the description and the area.....this morning. I went back and did a little investigating....and still I can't be 100% sure.

I know it's sad I didn't recover the buck the day or so after I shot him....but what's sad about finding a buck you killed (at any date)? Honest question.

What do I do? Do I tag it? Is this my buck? If I had to make a call I'd say the wound locationmakes it way too coincidental. But I can not say with 100% certainty that this is my buck. He looks like I remember him (only saw him for 20 seconds or so). He has a wound where I hit him. He was recovered really close to where he was hit.

I'd like to know what protocol is.

thats a big coincidence if its not him. Are you 100% that thats the spot you saw your arrow hit, or are you just telling yourself that?
Bowman....You can go back and read the original thread. I've never faltered from where I thought I saw the entrance wound. I'm not, now. I had to peel back the fur to see it.....but this buck has a wound where the one I hit should have one.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:15 AM

I'd keep the rack either way. Do some more CSI work for closure, sounds like it is your buck, but who knows.

I would have a hard time claiming a deer as my own without knowing 100% certain that it was mine. Finding one later that could be it, is awesome, but without proof (knowing the rack for sure, finding arrow, noticing if wound is a BH wound) I'd be a skeptic.

The wound....would it not be rather easy to tell if a wound was a Rage hole or not? Just asking.

Awesome find regardless, sounds like he is your deer, but I'd look around some more to be certain. If in your mind, you are already sure he is yours, that is all that matters.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I can't see a deer going back to where he was hit to find comfort before he dies. But like you, I would just have ta know.
Sure he would, that's his bedding area and home. Allot of these deer don't have a clue of what just happened when that arrow was released.

This should be Interesting Jeff. In saying this I hope BC Is right and It's not him and yours Is still alive and well.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Schultzy.....I don't understand your and Rob's point. WHY would it be "better" if my buck was alive and well....v. this one being my buck?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't tag It If It was me Jeff. Reason being you gave up and did all you could do to find this guy, you moved on and rightfully so. Take the rack and do a Euro or something. Stuff like this happens, that's hunting for ya.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Schultzy.....I don't understand your and Rob's point. WHY would it be "better" if my buck was alive and well....v. this one being my buck?

Thanks.
Because this one went to waste. Sure you got his antlers back, but all the meat was ruined, and he had to suffer for, well however long it took him to die. If your buck was still alive, well he made it, no meat wasted and no suffering.

All that said, in your situation, I am HOPING that deer is my buck. To each his own, I would be hoping that 8 was mine.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I just want to know what the consensus is for protocol. I'm serious. If I keep this buck/rack as my own....I'll tag it and be done with buck hunting this year. If I don't tag it......he ain't mine...and I'll keep hunting.

I just wanna know what the right thing to do is.

TEmbry....I'd rather have closure and know.....v. an unknown. If a deer is dead, anyways (there's definitely a dead buck. That I know).....I'd like to put some closure to this.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks.
Kind of a yes and no thing. It's good that If It's him and you now have closure. It would also be nice knowing he made It for closure also.

Quick Reply: I think I just found my Halloween buck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.