Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The fat lady is humming... >

The fat lady is humming...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The fat lady is humming...

Old 11-30-2008, 07:04 AM

Default The fat lady is humming...

Im not done with the bow yet, but it is really tough to even see a deer right now here in my area..Im gonna give at least 2 afternoons a week for a while, and then a couple of mornings/afternoons over my Christmas vacation time.. see I would be stoked if we could hammer does right now with the bow, but we have to follow the gun laws and that means no does. we can take them the last 12 days of gun season here. so Im looking to take about 2 or 3 does by season end..
Old 11-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The fat lady is humming...

I look at this the same way I look at compound v. trad......gun v. bow. It makes it that much more special when we do take one in the firearms season with the bow.

Are you "handcuffed" by taking your bow during the firearms season? Surely (even more than you normally are, likely).

Good luck, Landon.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

So Jeff, if I take out my recurve tonight during the gun season, will that make me "the man," or just dumb? Lol
Old 11-30-2008, 08:00 AM

The issue is having enough land to hunt that hasn't been hit with dogs...I have 2 leases where dogs don't go, but they have not been producers this year, I have not seen a single deer in either piece in 6 sits. I don't know what is going on.. I got in on an additional 3,000 acs in Sussex Co. about 35 min from me and I only went down once to bow hunt. I went back to scout it out and ran into about 5 other bowhunters and they were running all over the place picking out stands and I felt like I wasn't wanted there. I never went back and now the hounds are out down there big time so that's done and a waste of 600$!! but yeh Jeff it is rediculous tough this time of year even if I still still hunting with a gun, weapon makes no difference as far seeing deer, you just don't see em after the hounds start chasing...I will keep hitting the few places I have and see what happens, but it is just getting tough to see a deer here.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

The issue is having enough land to hunt that hasn't been hit with dogs...I have 2 leases where dogs don't go, but they have not been producers this year, I have not seen a single deer in either piece in 6 sits. I don't know what is going on.. I got in on an additional 3,000 acs in Sussex Co. about 35 min from me and I only went down once to bow hunt. I went back to scout it out and ran into about 5 other bowhunters and they were running all over the place picking out stands and I felt like I wasn't wanted there. I never went back and now the hounds are out down there big time so that's done and a waste of 600$!! but yeh Jeff it is rediculous tough this time of year even if I still still hunting with a gun, weapon makes no difference as far seeing deer, you just don't see em after the hounds start chasing...I will keep hitting the few places I have and see what happens, but it is just getting tough to see a deer here.

my way of thinkin is if you got 2 areas where dogs are not aloud wouldnt that be where the deer are now?/ where there was no pressure.. or at least notas much pressure????
Old 11-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: MdDave

my way of thinkin is if you got 2 areas where dogs are not aloud wouldnt that be where the deer are now?/ where there was no pressure.. or at least notas much pressure????
Problem being in dog country, the dogsdon't know where the NO DOGS line is
Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

We (Rebecca, Kevin and I)shot 15 ducks yesterday morning Landon.... there are other options for spending a few hours outside!

Its pretty tough bowhuntinglately bro... did you get that picture Reb sent you of her deer on Friday?

Ducks:

Rebecca's first deer!

Old 11-30-2008, 01:42 PM

yep Andy I got it, that's sweet. tell her congrats!