HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Did you achieve your goals? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/275778-did-you-achieve-your-goals.html)

GregH 11-28-2008 07:04 AM

Did you achieve your goals?

A while back someone started a thread here about what everyones goals for the up coming season were. I'd like to know how everyone feels about their season. Rather than having a "yes" or "no", short answer poll, lets hear how you feel.

My goal was to take a 147"+ buck or a clean 10 pointer.

I achieved my goal but there is more to it than that. I am a very optimistic hunter and I never give up. Over the years I have inched up the size of the bucks that I want to take. Through cameras, scouting and shed hunting, this means I'm looking for one of about three bucks that I know about. I know that there others out there, but it's hard to wait for the unknown.

This means that my percentage for success goes down drastically as I wait for that buck to come by me on my postage stamp size properties.

For the three previous seasons I have met my goals, including one season where I blew the shot at one of my target bucks and missed completely. My opportunities came relatively early in the season. Nov. 4th, Nov. 11th and Oct. 30th respectively. I have found that one chance per season is the best I can hope for.

This season was different than my other seasons. My deer sightings including mature bucks were down by 50%. Things started out with a bang early in the season. I was seeing some good rutting activity up until Nov.3rd. This is usually the norm. However, after that things basically came to a stand still. I had an occasional sighting here and there, but not like what I usually saw. I had several sightings of three different resident bucks and one traveler. Where were the other travelers? Where were the older, bigger bucks that usually show up? For that matter, where were the does!!??

My vacation time was shortened by 9days by an out of state moose hunt I went on earlier in the season. I had until Nov. 16th before I had to return to work. By the time Nov. 12th had come and gone, I started to second guess my thoughts on holding out for the buck of my goal. In other words, I was starting to cave in!! [:o]I was starting to have arguments in my mind whether to hold out or try for a smaller buck if I got the opportunity. On Nov. 14th I had a chance at one of the 138" bucks I had passed on a couple of times earlier. Man, I almost had myself talked into it! It was tough. It sure was a nice buck anyone would be proud of but the feeling of lowering my goal just didn't sit well with me. I passed. I had committed myself to hold off for my goal. This mean't that I would be hunting evenings after work and weekends. I was mentally gearing up for a long season with the very real possibility of not tagging a buck.I'd been there before. I shot a buck on Christmas morning a couple seasons ago. Some people on here thought that was terrible. There have been other seasons where my tag went unused and I'm OK with that. It is a very possibile outcome when I play this game, a game where I made the rules!

On the last evening of my vacation things were slow from my stand again. Oh well, I started packing up to leave and suddenly, there he was! [:-]You know the rest. I had only one to thank and I did, repeatedly.

The moral........

Good things come to those who wait and wait and wait.................and wait some more!

This was a great reinforcement that will help me in future hunts. Very valuable.

Lets hear your's.

PreacherTony 11-28-2008 07:14 AM

RE: Did you achieve your goals?

Not with a bow ..... with a gun, so far yes

jmbuckhunter 11-28-2008 07:25 AM

I still have another month and a half to reach my goal of taking a 140"+ buck off of my property. I am not giving up yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crenshaw 11-28-2008 07:31 AM

Not yet. I have had a lot of close calls but its a matter of time i guess. Im hunting an area that has a couple really good bucks in it from the 140" to 180" range(almost got the 180", but passed on a questionable shot) I have over a month left to do it, after that i have to achieve my goal of shooting a bunch of doe's.

Mottz 11-28-2008 07:32 AM

I didn't get the buck I was after, but I did get my 1st buck with my bow. Then I got my biggest buck with rifle so I am very pleased with how this year went. Have to up my standards just a little for next year.

Oneshot7 11-28-2008 07:36 AM

Not yet, My goal is to shoot a 90" deer with the bow, or a mature deer. I had a chance and passed, due to thinking I will get another chance. It is still the rut here, and I have a small rut comeing up in Mid Dec. as well. I aint gave up yet.

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-28-2008 07:55 AM

Greg, that was/is a fantastic post.

I'd like to think that I achieved my goals for 08 as well.

The first active goal early season was to take a doe on video. Happily, Ben was in the stand behind me when that big moolie came down the field and present itself for a close shot. Ben, for his first filming attempt did an excellent job. Goal one achieved. As we entered the 3rd week of our season, we both decided it was time start hunting on our own as we were cutting our season short by doubling up with the camera. That set forth my next goal, to take a quality whitetail in PA with my season cut short via my upcoming trip to IL. Hunting every evening and Saturday for the next 3 weeks, I never missed an opportunity to be in a tree and when that buck showed up Halloween morning on my first sit in my Hollow, he looked to be a fantastic buck, 3.5 year old, solid "rob" antlers "lol" and when he came to my calls from 80 yards to 8 yards, I knew he was "my" buck for PA. He didn't score exactly what I though he may but in restrospect, he did score as my best inches buck to date. My second goal for 08 was in the books, so far a big mature doe, a respectable mature buck. Now it was off to IL.

Now that IL trip has a roller coaster of emotions, goals, agendas. I'm considering IL a huge success not only for the meat that is now in my freezer and hide/antlers that is at my taxidermist but for the friends made, members met and time spent. I admitted in my IL return thread that I was slightly dissappointed in the size of the buck at the end of the day. I admit again, he shrunk on me a bit, what I thought was a 130" ten point, wasn't. He is however, my new number 1 buck as far as inches go. I missed a world class animal and that now sets new goals for 09 especially my return trip to IL.

And in closing Greg, after seeing the animals I saw in IL, my goals for 09 may increase dramatically. IL changed my view on whitetails probably forever.

dukemichaels 11-28-2008 08:06 AM

I'm gonna answer to this Greg with an H thread. Although he'll likely pm me a death threat later. But hey.. you only live once right.

I set no goals for myself this season. None.

Was not even into the whole "hunting thing" even late into the summer.

I kept any pressure off me this year and just hunted. Hunted hard and for a quick taking.. and it turned out well.

Without doubt a season where I encountered as many as 15 different great whitetail bucks. It was unbelievable. And most of all I had great fun while doing it all and remembered why I love to hunt so much.

I consider this year to be a GIANT leaping stone in my education on whitetail bucks. And even greater in my philosophical approach to hunting.

I cannot fathom what next season might bring.. but I cannot wait for it. And I haven't felt like that in a long time.

2008 was pure energy and enjoyment.

buttonbuckmaster 11-28-2008 08:08 AM

Yes and no.

On the no. One of my goals was to take the droptine buck that dropped the monster sheds I posted earlier this year. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet;), but we are hunting him again next weekend with the shotguns.

About the yes, my goal was an 8pt or bigger,wider thanthe ears, with the bow. Mission accomplished on that one.

My most important goal was to get my sons on their first deer. My youngest son killed his first deer last weekend, my oldest gets another chance next weekend during the second shotgun season.:)

GMMAT 11-28-2008 08:15 AM

This means that my percentage for success goes down drastically as I wait for that buck to come by me on my postage stamp size properties.
Yet they always do, Greg. You have to admit you have some incredible grounds. I'm not taking away anything from you or the deer you've taken.....but they DO always come by (based on your previous kills).

For the three previous seasons I have met my goals, including one season where I blew the shot at one of my target bucks and missed completely. My opportunities came relatively early in the season. Nov. 4th, Nov. 11th and Oct. 30th respectively. I have found that one chance per season is the best I can hope for.
That's good stuff.;) We may get another....but if we plan for more than that....I think it's a mistake.

For that matter, where were the does!!??
Another GREAT question I'm asking myself right now (and a few weeks ago). I don't know what they could POSSIBLY be eating, right now. No idea.

Greg you're also "passing" on 138" deer. I can't imagine. I've seen 3 deer from stand in over 200 sits that will go over 100". Biggest buck I've ever legitimately "passed" on......might go 80". I can't imagine having access to such animals. Kudos to you for securing those grounds. That's no easy task.

I've got 3 more weeks....and I haven't caved. I haven't had too many chances, though.

IL changed my view on whitetails probably forever.
Rob...not to hijack Greg's thread....but I wish you'd start a thread and expound on this. Do you view them there as a different species of deer? Anythign to do with the sheer quantity of quality animals? I'd liketo hear more on this.

rybohunter 11-28-2008 08:16 AM

Not even close. I had a bright spot getting a buck in Ohio. After that it was terrible. My hunting spots held some of the bestbucks that I've probably had to hunt and I didn't come anywhere close to seeing them, let alone getting a chance at one.

My overall deer sightings were terrible, & I only killed one doe during the season. Gun seasons start in a few days & I'll be out trying to knock off does and take a nice buck if given the opportunity.

buckeye 11-28-2008 08:27 AM

Not yet. The PA buck was a nice buck andexperience but killing a PA buck was not my main goal.

Still working at my main goal.

GregH 11-28-2008 08:36 AM

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

Yet they always do, Greg. You have to admit you have some incredible grounds. I'm not taking away anything from you or the deer you've taken.....but they DO always come by (based on your previous kills).

I'm not sure if you knew this, but I huntthis spot with a friend of mine. He's still hunting. He's had 2 chances at decent bucks while I've had 13. He has 7 stands set up, I have 3. He's taken a 135", 130" and a 118" as well as an antlerless (buck that shed). Out of 10 deer taken (6 by me), 8/10 were taken from my stands.

It's not entirely about the grounds.

Greg you're also "passing" on 138" deer. I can't imagine.
I didn't always do this. But if you want to get bigger bucks, you have to pass on the smaller ones.

In wis and Ill, your average sized mature buck is usually in the 130" range. I'm fortunate to live here.

I've got 3 more weeks....and I haven't caved. I haven't had too many chances, though.
It sounds like you have a good handle on things. You're right, it is tough holding out for something that may never happen. A plus to this is that the things you learn are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck

GregH 11-28-2008 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I consider this year to be a GIANT leaping stone in my education on whitetail bucks. And even greater in my philosophical approach to hunting.

I cannot fathom what next season might bring.. but I cannot wait for it. And I haven't felt like that in a long time.

2008 was pure energy and enjoyment.
It doesn't get much better than this.

Schultzy 11-28-2008 08:39 AM

My season so far has been a disappointment In my eye's. One mature buck sighting (3.5 year old 125") and I let him by. Other then that a bunch of little 1.5's and two 2.5's. I've put some good time Into hunting one particular buck this year. Where he's at Is beyond me. Hardly no scrapes, rubs In my woods. Kind of hard to hunt sign that Isn't there. Between hardly any decent buck sightings and bow trouble with my recurve It's been quite stressful the last month. I'm hoping the 2nd rut does something for me. I don't necessarily have to shoot one, seeing some good bucks would sure give me hope for next year. Otherwise this will go down as one of the more frustrating years for myself hunting whitetails In a long time.

dmen 11-28-2008 08:42 AM

My goal for 08was to get my first deer ever. I managed to accomplish it on Oct 13 with a small 10 pointer.I always thought that my first one would be via rifle, the fact that I gothim with my bow is a dream come true.Before the season started I had dreams of taking a few deer, but once the season started and the sightings were few and far between reality set in that I would be happy with one. I am still hoping to take down a doe before the season is over or possibly another buck but I have only 2 weeks left and only a few days to hunt. Either way this year has been a success and I hope to take the lessons from this year and use them to reach my future goals.

GMMAT 11-28-2008 08:46 AM

It's not entirely about the grounds.
I didn't say it was. I hoped it woudn't betaken that way.

I'm not sure if you knew this, but I huntthis spot with a friend of mine. He's still hunting. He's had 2 chances at decent bucks while I've had 13. He has 7 stands set up, I have 3. He's taken a 135", 130" and a 118" as well as an antlerless (buck that shed). Out of 10 deer taken (6 by me), 8/10 were taken from my stands.
That's a lot of stand in that size woodlot. I suppose you don't have to worry about certain winds (with that many stands). Does your friend hold out for anything? I'm just wondering if he's not shooting the first decent buck he sees??? I'm really just asking. Those (your)numbers are impressive.

It sounds like you have a good handle on things. You're right, it is tough holding out for something that may never happen. A plus to this is that the things you learn are worth their weight in gold.

Good luck

Honest to God....I've kind of found an inner peace with it all....lol. I have fewer expectations now than I did a month ago. I'm not "mailing it in", but if I said I wasn't more relaxed now than ever.....I'd be lying.

It'll be what it'll be.

I appreciate the encouragement. Your numbers make me have hope!:)

Duke....I concur with the first part (bolded). I hope to achieve the second part sometime during the off-season. I was rattled this season in this area.

mohunter82 11-28-2008 08:48 AM

I'm with you Schultzy. Bout the only goal i have met is that i have put in more time in the stand than ever.
My sign this year has been nonexsitant. hardly any scrapes rubs, trails or anything other than some 1.5 trying to be the mack daddy. Since Sept 15 there has only been 9 days i have been in the woods. but i still have a month and half and i aint quiting.

virginiashadow 11-28-2008 09:10 AM

My overall goal has been to kill a mature buck. The season is not over until the 1st week of January so I will still give it my best. My buddy and I hunted within 150 yards of each other yesterday morning and he had 2 large bucks walk past him at 60 yards at 0930 so I am still optomistic that I am hunting so far away from other hunters, that the bucks feel comfortable every once in awhile to show themselves...I hope.

My other goal was to have a plan for most every hunt I make, and so far it has paid off. I listed my top ten stand sights for the month of November and was able to hunt 7 of those sights, as 3 were closed off completely on the military base. I saw 14 different bucks, had 2 mature bucks within range, and arrowed a decent buck (2.5 year old). So all my scouting in the off-season paid dividends, but so far I have not been able to close the deal.

GregH 11-28-2008 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Does your friend hold out for anything? I'm just wondering if he's not shooting the first decent buck he sees??? I'm really just asking. Those (your)numbers are impressive.

This guy wants to shoot P&Y bucks. I want him to also. But when the going gets tough his goals change in direct proportion!

His biggest problem is that he sets his stands and brushes out lanes that make him comfortable instead of the deer.

TEmbry 11-28-2008 09:26 AM

I exceeded my goals already.

Got a nice pronghorn buck with my bow. (August)
Got my first whitetail with a bow, doe.(September)
Got my first whitetail buck with a bow, during gun season on grounds very pressured those 2 weeks (November)

Im not sure what I wrote for my goals prior to season...But I do know I am still on cloud 9 for my season. I still need to harvest 2 more does for the freezer, and I have 4 turkey tags left. Other than these, Ill be smacking ducks until winter is winding down.

racewayking 11-28-2008 09:28 AM

I'm still working on mine! My goal was to take 2 bucks in Illinois and wanted to exceed 140" on each and wanted nothing smaller than a 10 pointer.

Opening day I passed on a 9pt that would go in the 130's, he was missing a g-4 that cracked off and was a nice 3.5 year old buck. I wouldn't have another shot on a 130+ buck until I killed my deer November 4th, he taped out at 137 and some change, a few inches shorter than I was going for but was at least a 4.5 old or older deer that I passed last season several times. He was also running off the other big bucks so I thought but haven't seen anything over 110" since shooting him.

I still have a couple of doe tags and a buck tag and haven't had a shot on a mature doe since the rut ended. I usually take my does after the rut so I will finish off the year hunting into December which I have rarely done in the past. Had I hunted the stand I intended to yesterday I would have whacked a doe but I hit my Buck stand instead:(

This year also saw more pressure than ever on the property I hunt, so far three bucks have been taken off of it and one hunter never washes his gear so I think the area got jacked up. I also got busted twice in Brown County on two great deer that I would have shot, that experience reminded me that I need to branch out and hunt new areas to grow as a hunter. I also have a goal of shed hunting this winter and have lined up a few great mentors that I want to get out with shedding.

There is still a month and a half of Bow season and I am optimistic. More deer will find their way to the freezer soon! Either way my season has still been a success so far.

Germ 11-28-2008 09:31 AM

:eek:

Pops423 11-28-2008 09:39 AM

I'd have to say yes. When I started my season, I had high hopes of scoring a P & Y buck. As the season went on and my hunting opportunities were far and few between I decided I wanted to take a respectable buck with my bow. I no longer rifle hunt and wanted one with a bow. As my season went on, my spot was invaded with hunters. Even though I'm one of only 2 people with permission guys kept showing up and parking anywhere and hunting all over. The landowner doesn't post and doesn't seem to care either. he wishes they would ask but doesn't want to cause any problems, which I respect. So my chances, I felt were going down on seeing the big bucks because of all the no sighting days I spend in my favorite woodlot.

November 11th provided me a chance to take a nice buck and I choose to take it. 2 days later, one of my P & Y 8's showed up in the back yard and stood beside my treestand.

bowmanaj 11-28-2008 09:42 AM

Yes and No... Yes, because my goals were to get a buck, and to get my first bowkill. I did not get a buck with my bow, but I did get my first bow kill, a doe back in October. Im regretting passing on a particular buck I passed 2 times. Would have been a good 1st bow buck.

Good thread, its interesting to see everyones personal goals. Overall, I can not complain even though the season has gotten harder throughout the weeks. I got my first bowkill so Im counting my blessings.

cooter144 11-28-2008 09:54 AM

Congrats to those who have achieved their goals so far.

For me this has been the slowest hunting season that I can ever remember as far as buck sightings.

I have not seen any bucks older than yearlings and my goal is to take a 125+ inch buck.

The season is not over though and I am not giving up.

I will be in my stand this weekend looking for a big buck. They should beon the movelooking for the remaining estrus doe's.

Washington Hunter 11-28-2008 10:01 AM

Yes and no.

Initially I wanted to take a nice Mulie buck on my hunt in September. A cracked limb halfway through the huntended that plan a bit early.

Late season I reverted to the goal I had last year, as I hadn't yet acheived it. I wanted to shoot a buck with at least four points on either side. When my buck came in yesterday there was no question that I wanted to shoot him. I did. He met my goals. I'm happy.

IAhuntr 11-28-2008 10:03 AM

I was fortunate enough to fufill my ultimate goal for the year, and it was a quest of a particular buck in which I had to start from scratch.At firstthought it seemed to be more of a pipedream, but aslast season progressed I became obsessed with the harvestof that buck.
Several times last season I saw an extremely nice deer much closer to home than I normally hunt and he really gotstuck in my mind. I saw him numerous times throughout last fall and winter and I thencommited tosee if I could find a place to hunt him somewhereclose to his home range. Most of the properties were of the no-hunting variety, butI was fortunate to secure permission on a verysmall parcel next to the woods that I believed to be his core area. I scouted the area throughout spring and summer. At the first of this season, I passed up a very nice mature130" ten point at ten yardsalong with several other bucks throughout the first couple sits. In late October Iwas lucky enough to harvest the particular buck I was after and have since seen three other extremely nice mature bucks from the same stand. I also filled an antlerless tag out of the stand last week.
My only downer for the year was that my daughter shot her first deer ever with a bow from my stand a couple weeks ago, but after an exhaustivemultiple day search we were unable to recover that buck. Truth be told, I'd easilygive up my success this season to have her have recovered her first buck. We were both heartbroken and it was the last thing I wanted to have happen on her first deer, but it is a chance you take anytime you release an arrow and she understood that from day one. She is quite the trooper and I am as proud as can be of her in the way in which she has handled the situation. That night in the stand with her will be forever embedded in my memory as it was truly one of themost excitingmoments of my life.
I still have gun season coming up next weekend and regardless of the outcome, I've already surpassed my personal goals for the year. Bow hunting is my primary interest. Gun hunting is more of a social event with friends.
Next year's goal has already been implanted as any of the three bucks at my new spot should easily fit the bill at harvesting a 150" deer, but first and foremost I'll look forward to helpingmy daughter getting a second chance.

gri22ly 11-28-2008 10:54 AM

Yes, it has been an awesome year!!!!!:)

From most important to least.

Goal #1 was to make a new friend in the hunting world, I'VE MADE 2!!!!:)

Goal #2 was to help the guysI hunt withreach there goals, 2 DOWN AND 1 TO GO!!!!:)

Goal #3 was to take a P&Y from public land, GOT'EM!!!!:)I had a side goal to take the new archery non-typical state record........ No big deal, I hope he lives 10 more years and breeds every doe in the country.;):D

Bowhunter2001 11-28-2008 11:05 AM

I have let 37 deer walk this year so far. The largest is a perfect 10 140" buck. I have had several other 10's and 8' not quit as big walk. I have a picture of a 10 or larger with a 3 to 4 inch kicker on his G2. I haven't seen him yet. Depending on his width, I may wack him because I like kicker and drop tine bucks. I bow hunt my 135 acre farm by myself. I have some standing corn and beans plus 5 other food plots just for my deer. Gun hunting around me was very slow this year compared to years past. I usually go up and police my ground during gun season. I took a picture of the 140" 10, the 130" 10, and the 125" 8 all within 22 yards of me. I will try to post it here. My friends think I am crazy but I want to kill a 160" plus or I will let them walk. I have pictures of most of these deer. I have jumped up at least 50 turkeys twice now. I have seen pheasants and quail each time I hunt. I haven't killed anything but I enjoy watching my propertyand its wildlife. It makes it a success for me.

Bowhunter2001 11-28-2008 11:12 AM

Here isthe picture of the three. The larger 10 point is at the tree 22 yards away. The two fighting areanother 10 and an 8. I have seen these deer several times. The larger 10 was chasing a doe last time.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x265/Bowhunter2001/Oct6008.jpg

IAhuntr 11-28-2008 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Bowhunter2001

I have let 37 deer walk this year so far. The largest is a perfect 10 140" buck. I have had several other 10's and 8' not quit as big walk. I have a picture of a 10 or larger with a 3 to 4 inch kicker on his G2. I haven't seen him yet. Depending on his width, I may wack him because I like kicker and drop tine bucks. I bow hunt my 135 acre farm by myself. I have some standing corn and beans plus 5 other food plots just for my deer. Gun hunting around me was very slow this year compared to years past. I usually go up and police my ground during gun season. I took a picture of the 140" 10, the 130" 10, and the 125" 8 all within 22 yards of me. I will try to post it here. My friends think I am crazy but I want to kill a 160" plus or I will let them walk. I have pictures of most of these deer. I have jumped up at least 50 turkeys twice now. I have seen pheasants and quail each time I hunt. I haven't killed anything but I watching my property become and its wildlife makes it a success for me.
You're not crazy at all. If you let them have another year, chances are one of them will meet your expectations next season. Hang in there.

Bowhunter2001 11-28-2008 11:21 AM

I don't have much hunting pressurearound my farm. My neighbors have the QDM philosophy I do. I have owned my property for going on 6 years now. The future looks bright.

bigcountry 11-28-2008 11:27 AM

Sure, I met my goals. Hunted quite a bit, saw some deer, and was able to climb a stand and pull back a bow.

I think alot of us take for granted that some people would love to be able to sit in the woods in a tree, and be able just to pull back a bow. Everytime I get down, I have to remind myself of this.

Jimimac 11-28-2008 12:00 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Sure, I met my goals. Hunted quite a bit, saw some deer, and was able to climb a stand and pull back a bow.

I think alot of us take for granted that some people would love to be able to sit in the woods in a tree, and be able just to pull back a bow. Everytime I get down, I have to remind myself of this.
You beat me to it! Perfect.

iamyourhuckleberry 11-28-2008 12:55 PM

I am moving in the right direction. I went to Africa and killed eight animals with my bow when I was told I wouldn't kill one. I never gave the rifle a thought. Hunting free range in the East Cape will challenge the best.

I finally killed a nice axis deer wth archery gear, and added a nilgi which I never expected. It took me eight years and nine attempts to slay this beast.

I took a terminally ill cancer patient for pronghorn, elk and mule deer. He successfully harvested all three while under my care.

I wanted the lads from England (Dave Bailey & Gary Rawlings) to have the best elk hunting/America experience possible. I think they did. There were a few from HNI who joined us. They had fun as well...some elk werekilled while several were missed. Laughs were had by all.

Help three real good friends kill gators in Florida-one of which is like a father to me! I would not have missed that for the world!

I put a cow elkin myfreezer, put severalpronghorn/whitetail doesin freezers for families with foster children, and I kill my first Colorado white-tailed deer with a bow (whitetail along the front range are rare-sort of like hunting moose in Florida). I stalked two turkeys and killed them from the ground.

I went and met Jeff and Lisa Venable and had the time of my life-despite a very sore ankle. I was even lucky enough to kill a N. Carolina Tit Deer ( a species I haven't taken). That was a bonus. I thank the Venables for their generosity!

I still have open tags in S. Dakota and N. Mexica (start that hunt Jan. 1st for a desert mulie).

I still have an archerybuffalo hunt in Wyoming on Dec. 6th-7th.

If I can complete these last three, I'm there!This year has given mesome fun journeys regardless!

BowHuntingFool 11-28-2008 06:09 PM

Yes I did, my 1st season with the Longbow and my 1st kill with it!

Vabowman 11-28-2008 06:52 PM

not by a long shot!!

ICALL2MUCH 11-28-2008 07:18 PM

I'm in the ballpark.

I've shot 2 does with the bow, and a young 120ish 8pt that I thought was bigger. [:@]

My goal is to take 4 does with a bow. I still have a good chance at that.
I am hunting a new property to me, and I wanted to take this year to learn about the area, and see how the deer use it. I've learned tons, and look forward to the late season. I'm extremely interested to see how the deer use our property in the late season.

Good luck to everyone!

PS-Greg, are you done for the year? Does to shoot? A buck in WI? Just curious.

Cougar Mag 11-28-2008 07:30 PM

I've found a new goal after this evening's hunt. Now I need some patience and lots and lots of luck!