HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Did you achieve your goals? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/275778-did-you-achieve-your-goals.html)

txjourneyman 12-01-2008 10:54 AM

RE: Did you achieve your goals?

Thanks for this thread Greg. I needed a boost. I have not met my goals yet. I haven't put a deer on the ground yet. This is only my 4th year bowhunting. In the previous 3 years I have killed 7 deer with a bow. I have been feeling a bit frustrated lately. On the new land I'm hunting I've seen more deer this year than in the last 2 combined. I just haven't been able to put it all together. I will be out every weekend and as much of the Christmas break as I can be. It may not happen for me this year and I'm OK with that now. I got on this new land late and didn't have much time at all to scout it. I've never hunted this type of big woods before either so its been a year to learn. If I eat tag soup I will eat it with a better knowledge of the land I'm hunting and high hopes for next year.

130woodman 12-01-2008 11:00 AM

My goals were met to a point. I want to shoot deer that or older than 3.5 which I did arguably. But I really wished I could have dialed in an older buck. With family matters and the lack of deer on my trail camera's meant shoot the firdt 3 year old or older to show up. I had a great year hunting with Quiksilver and scouting with hoyttail hunter I wouldn't change a thing.

Hoytail Hunter 12-01-2008 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: peakrut

My season is not done until Jan31st so I will get back to you on this Greg. (East of the I)

T
Tony, where do you even find anywhere to hunt there? From memory, there's zero public land there. You'd have to be in someone's backyard or close to, really.

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

My goals were met to a point. I want to shoot deer that or older than 3.5 which I did arguably. But I really wished I could have dialed in an older buck. With family matters and the lack of deer on my trail camera's meant shoot the firdt 3 year old or older to show up. I had a great year hunting with Quiksilver and scouting with hoyttail hunter I wouldn't change a thing.
Dan, next year let's see if we can do opener or something. I hunted Tichigan twice with no luck. I'll do some more scouting post season.

As for my goals being achieved...

Absolutely! If I am blessed enough to even be given the health and means by which to sit in one of God's trees, I'm already happy. Given that on top of that, I met some quality people from this forum, that's icing. Considering I've killed more than my fair share of good bucks and does in this one season, I'm not sure what comes after truly blessed but that's me.

ksfowler 12-01-2008 06:02 PM

My goal was to get a deer under my belt with a bow. i did and it was a decent buck too, so my season was better than expected.:D

130woodman 12-02-2008 06:26 AM

Give me a call we can go shed hunting and scouting the kettle moraine.

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Dan, next year let's see if we can do opener or something. I hunted Tichigan twice with no luck. I'll do some more scouting post season.

gutshot 12-02-2008 09:48 AM

I definately achieved what I set out to do this year. I tagged out all on perfect shots. The last few years I've been in a shooting funk. But this year my shooting has came back to where it should be and I made good shots and short recoveries on all of the deer that I shot.

peakrut 12-02-2008 02:24 PM

My parents use to live near Jelly Belly in Kenosha County so Ifound a few spots near there.
Knowing a pleasant prairie cop also helps.

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

ORIGINAL: peakrut

My season is not done until Jan31st so I will get back to you on this Greg. (East of the I)

T
Tony, where do you even find anywhere to hunt there? From memory, there's zero public land there. You'd have to be in someone's backyard or close to, really.

As for my goals being achieved...

Absolutely! If I am blessed enough to even be given the health and means by which to sit in one of God's trees, I'm already happy. Given that on top of that, I met some quality people from this forum, that's icing. Considering I've killed more than my fair share of good bucks and does in this one season, I'm not sure what comes after truly blessed but that's me.