Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late season advice..please >

Late season advice..please

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late season advice..please

Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Late season advice..please

Well everyone, I'm looking for a little advice.. My season has progressively gotten worse over the past few weeks. First off I should explain that this is a new property my family got back in january..Its a small parcel with a pond, field and ridge that gets real thick in some places. I scouted all spring and summer and it paid off in early season with a lot of great hunts. This is my first year going at it with a bow, and I was fortunate enough to take a doe in October, but lately deer sightings have been WAY down. Since gun season opened up I've seen 3 deer, out of 9 hunts.

During early archery I was seeing deer almost every sit, sometimes 8 or 9 a sit, the rut gave me some good action, but I passed on a fork at 10 yards (which Im regretting now, would of been good 1st bow buck)... In the past Ive only shotgun hunted, so its a whole new ball game that I'm learning as far as late archery season goes, but I love to hunt with my bow so I'll continue to be out throughout December and the beginning of January. I finally have a piece of ground to call my own, so I can not give up.. I know it could be even harder but I have some questions..

-After a lot of pressure from gun season, do deer eventually go back to old travel routes?

-could they be on other food sources?..There is a lot of cut corn in the area (but im still hearing gunshots from the same ridge, across, and about 1/2 mile down)

-basically any late season tips/advice you guys could give me would be great. I really appreciate it

-Adam Bowman

Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Late season advice..please

It's tough, no 2 ways about it...if you have the drive then carry on my friend, you just never know when it will happen...if you can find out what they are eating go to it and if you can find out what a particular buck wants to eat and where he is eating, it's golden... but, that's the tough part, pressured bucks tend to move after hrs if ya know what I mean..
Old 11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

If any of you hunt the late season, I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks everyone

Adam Bowman
Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

Well everyone, I'm looking for a little advice.. My season has progressively gotten worse over the past few weeks. First off I should explain that this is a new property my family got back in january..Its a small parcel with a pond, field and ridge that gets real thick in some places. I scouted all spring and summer and it paid off in early season with a lot of great hunts. This is my first year going at it with a bow, and I was fortunate enough to take a doe in October, but lately deer sightings have been WAY down. Since gun season opened up I've seen 3 deer, out of 9 hunts.

During early archery I was seeing deer almost every sit, sometimes 8 or 9 a sit, the rut gave me some good action, but I passed on a fork at 10 yards (which Im regretting now, would of been good 1st bow buck)... In the past Ive only shotgun hunted, so its a whole new ball game that I'm learning as far as late archery season goes, but I love to hunt with my bow so I'll continue to be out throughout December and the beginning of January. I finally have a piece of ground to call my own, so I can not give up.. I know it could be even harder but I have some questions..

-After a lot of pressure from gun season, do deer eventually go back to old travel routes?

-could they be on other food sources?..There is a lot of cut corn in the area (but im still hearing gunshots from the same ridge, across, and about 1/2 mile down)

-basically any late season tips/advice you guys could give me would be great. I really appreciate it

-Adam Bowman
The late season is not here yet and you should not assume that rutting action is over either. I love hunting around thanksgiving as this is the time of the year that many of the dominate bucks will go searching for the last remaining estrus doe's. So, my advice is to get out on some good transition zones either between different bedding areas or one that leads to a feeding area.

When rutting action ceases you will want to focus soley on food sources.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that it is not late season.. Im looking for advice in advance, like for mid december and january.. I have been setting up in between bedding areas with minimal sightings lately. My property is a mile or more from the closest food source (cut corn), so I'm out of luck there. I guess I will continue to try transition zones.

Vabowman and cooter- thanks
Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowmanaj

I know that it is not late season.. Im looking for advice in advance, like for mid december and january.. I have been setting up in between bedding areas with minimal sightings lately. My property is a mile or more from the closest food source (cut corn), so I'm out of luck there. I guess I will continue to try transition zones.

Vabowman and cooter- thanks
This has been a slowrut for me too so far but I am just going to continue what I have been doing. All it takes is one buck to turn a slow season into a great one.

Good luck.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:08 PM

Psst....

Find the does and the bucks will come...and late December early January rock as they start to really yard up then....
Old 11-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The closest food source is a mile or more away......

Hot food source's for mid December and January if found in abundance, honeysuckle, ivy vines, ferns, maple, pine, sassafrassapling's, sumac, saw-brier, check red oak's and pin oak's for left overs. Some persimmon and crab apple drop verylate. Strawberry bush are common and like ice cream to deer. There are many more late season food source's I haven't named. GOOD LUCK.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm already looking at food sources again, even though the rut is just winding down. Some of the does have segregated themselves and are bunching up again. I'll set up on food where I find the does. There's a good chance the bucks will be making a few more rounds looking, you just have to be there.

Best of luck.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gri22ly-Thanks, I'mgonna look into other food sources. There are some scattered Pin Oaks, and one area with quite a few.

Thanks again everyone

Quick Reply: Late season advice..please

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.