Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 who makes their own jerky? >

who makes their own jerky?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

who makes their own jerky?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: who makes their own jerky?

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I just thawed out the backstraps on the doe I shot the other day. I am going to try the jerky thing out today. I am pumped! And Jeff, that pick made me so hungry I am going to cook some venison out on the grill this afternoon...ahh, life is good.
VS .... I think it is unethical to make a backstrap into jerky .......[>:]
Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I just thawed out the backstraps on the doe I shot the other day. I am going to try the jerky thing out today. I am pumped! And Jeff, that pick made me so hungry I am going to cook some venison out on the grill this afternoon...ahh, life is good.
[/blockquote]

VS .... I think it is unethical to make a backstrap into jerky .......[>:]
Maybe he's an elitist jerky maker [8D]
Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use venison roasts cut into strips, marinate them and then cook them on low in the smoker. You can use an oven if you don't have a smoker. Problem with using the oven is I can smell it drying and get really hungry before its done. It takes 10 lbs of fresh meat to make one pound of jerky. There are a lot of good commercial marinades or you can make your own.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't use backstraps either. When you get a whole hip off a deer seam it out into Inside, outside and eye of round. Trim these cuts and then slice for jerky. Sirloin tip is always a roast in my house.
Whe I do beef jerky I buy a whole outside and slice it up.
Oh and I smoke mine for about 12hrs...... real low.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

I've been using a combination of my own and PT's recipe and really like it. In the past I have always used cut up strips, out of the rump roasts...like AF stated. I like the random thickness, lengths, etc. Some I cut with the grain, some across it.
I am going touse a Jerky gun for the first time and see how I like it, but doubt that it will win out over the strips.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

I've been using a combination of my own and PT's recipe ......
You just fell of the prayer list, Navy ...[>:]

Just playin!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PreacherTony

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

I've been using a combination of my own and PT's recipe ......
You just fell of the prayer list, Navy ...[>:]

Just playin!
All your stuff man, just changed a little of the amounts. Less of this, more of that.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:57 AM

Dehydrators are cheap, and really do work the best. It depends what type of jerky you like, some like the ground meat jerky gun sticks, others like the thinly sliced whole meat....We use a deli slicer to get perfect cuts for whole jerly ($40), but I recently picked up a meat grinder half off ($50) to try the jerky gun route...im thinking you can infuse the flavor more this way by not only marinating but mixing in a dry seasoning.

Nearly any recipe will work, we started out with different hodge podges...my favorite involved worchershire, liquid smoke, and brown sugar..with cayenne pepper sprinkled on before it hits the dehydrator rack....It is amazing.

PT pm me that recipe, I will try it out next week when we make up our next batch..we have about 100 lbs of meat ready to be dehydrated in the freezer, sliced up and ready to go.[:-]

As a group of 3 (we each bought stuff and proccess deer together) we now have a commercial dehydrator (huge), meat grinder, meat slicer...and all the hardware to do the job. Just need a jerky gun and we will be good to go.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

So how many of you have PT's recipe in there Favorties folder? I do... and this thread has got me wanting some Jerky...Im headed to Walmart right now.Litteraly.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2170596

PT, Im going to take Pics. You tell me what you think when Im done... ill even send you some if you like.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

So how many of you have PT's recipe in there Favorties folder? I do... and this thread has got me wanting some Jerky...Im headed to Walmart right now.Litteraly.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2170596

PT, Im going to take Pics. You tell me what you think when Im done... ill even send you some if you like.
Well Aaron .... I don't want to hurt your feelings by not accepting your generous offer of sending me some,.....

Trevor, I bumped the thread due to increased call volume (PM's )

Quick Reply: who makes their own jerky?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.