Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Sight's off....How can this be? >

Sight's off....How can this be?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sight's off....How can this be?

Old 11-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Sight's off....How can this be?

I was getting ready to come down this morning.....and I thought I'd take a shot (I keep a field tipped arrow in my quiver). I had a scent rag (paper towel) in a tree about 20yds out.....and I took a shot at it.

High.

I got home and checked it with a few more shots. Sure enough.....6" high at 20 yds. 30 yd pin is equally high.

How in the world does this happen? I made a sight adjustment....but it's still a mystery. Spooky, really.

I just shot my bow on Sunday.....and it was fine. What could happen? I know we say it a lot.....but don't always assume they're "on"....just because they were the last time you shot it.

Im fortunate nothing came close enough today.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sight's off....How can this be?

that has happened to me twice this season. i will go home and shoot and it will be off. i will reset them, and them, and then the next day or so they are back off. i didnt drop it or anything like that. its wierd
Old 11-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Temperature can have an effect on things like this. Much like a rifle barrel. Same can be said for what you are wearing.

I shoot with both eyes open... and inside or at night shooting under the lights, I tend to shoot about 2" left of where I do in normal sun light. Maybe I'm moving my head? I don't know. Plenty of times I might just be a bit off on my shooting that day. It happens.

Something definately changed. Whether it is due to bow causes or shooter causes... thats up to you to narrow down... temperature... lighting... clothing... grip.... weight... arrows.... could be a ton of different things.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Did the peep sight move? If you use a peep.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I've thought about the peep....and I assume that's a possibility. My bow gets tangled on things coming out of the woods, sometimes.

Just keep tabs on your gear.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

ur peep moving could be the problem. make sure that ur peep is tied in tight. if you can't tie it in, put a little glue on the serving to keep it in place. I don't think the weather would effect it much. i have hunted from 80 degrees to -10 degrees no problems...but i could be wrong. lastly, it could be your clothing. you could be changing ur form to accomodate for the added bulk. next time you shoot take all of this into consideration.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:44 PM

i always sight in my bow the day i go out hunting. when i go to shoot itafter about a week of sitting my bow is off and i need to resight it.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I did come home from the woods and shoot in my full gear. It was off then, too.

I'm just glad I checked it.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had this happen where my peep gets moved, and it really dont take a whole lot of movement to throw off your shooting drastically. Thats why I test shoot daily!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know much about the new compound stuff these days but could of your whole sight bar moved up or down some If that's possible? I know with the old sight bars It could happen easily.

Quick Reply: Sight's off....How can this be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.