Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mercy Killing.....would you???? (Update on pg. 3) >

Mercy Killing.....would you???? (Update on pg. 3)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mercy Killing.....would you???? (Update on pg. 3)

Old 11-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Host of Hosts

Default RE: Mercy Killing.....would you????

Doug...you did the right thing!
Old 11-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong with that Doug!!
Old 11-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

I agree. You did the right thing.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Siman08/OH

I hope you legally tagged it, and BB is a button buck.
Come on Junior, what do you think I did with it???? Landowners' permits are a wonderful thing, I suppose I could have put my last $15 antlerless tag on it, but I didn't even think about it because I have the landowner's permit as an option.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Yes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

OHIO, you never said what was wrong with the deer. Was it wounded or just a sick puppy. Wounded I'd eat. Sick, I'd kill it and leave it for the coyotes.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

OHIO, you never said what was wrong with the deer. Was it wounded or just a sick puppy. Wounded I'd eat. Sick, I'd kill it and leave it for the coyotes.
Dave,
I can't tell. I skinned him out and don't see anything inside or outside that looks bad. I got a full bladder of urine out of him, and I can assuredly tell you his kidneys worked, and he didn't have a urinary/kidney infection or anything like that. His stomach was FULL, so I'm guessing he must've gotten around a little bit, but something just doesn't make sense. He's as healthy as a horse looking him over, and a heavy little SOB, I'd bet 140# live weight (and I have a 150# dog to compare him with). I didn't find any masses, or dislocations when I checked him over. He didn't smell "infected" per se, and trust me in my profession (I'm a nurse), I smell "infected" pretty often. [:'(] So I'm still unsure. I think the meat should be ok, except for about 1/3 of a backstrap the BH destroyed on the entry. But when you're 45' or so above something shooting 38yds, something's gotta give picking that spot. In all honesty, once boned out, (I still have him hanging because it's cool enough I can), I'll look him over pretty close and see what I find.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:47 PM

You sure something was actually wrong with him and he wasn't just being lazy when he got up to change positions? I have seen them act like they can't hardly get off their bed and just plop back down again. Either way, if you thought something was wrong with him, yeah it's the right thing. And I'll go ahead and say it...I would do it, tag or not. If no tag, then I would not take possession of it. Still the right thing, IMO. No different than the couple that I have seen hit by cars that I finished off with my bow.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I vote that you made the right decision. I have a BB running around shaking it's head and losing it's balance. Almost as if it is having a ceizure. If I catch up with it, I will take it out. I am not sure that I am going to eat it though. I'll be taking it to have the DNR look at it for sure. Anyone else see this crazy behavior?

Quick Reply: Mercy Killing.....would you???? (Update on pg. 3)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.