HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What is a good thing to do while in the woods hunting to pass time? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/27569-what-good-thing-do-while-woods-hunting-pass-time.html)

Hunt2Kill 04-02-2003 06:42 PM

What is a good thing to do while in the woods hunting to pass time?

Does any one have a certain thing they do while they are in the woods hunting? I always get bored staring hoping for a big buck to come out.. time just goes so slow, what are good things to do while hunting to pass that time?

click 04-02-2003 06:56 PM

RE: What is a good thing to do while in the woods hunting to pass time?

i carry a small new testament and read my Bible

VAhuntr 04-02-2003 07:26 PM

I do a lot of deep thinking and relaxing. I sit back and just basically count the many blessings I have in my life. When you really think about each one seperately it takes up the time during those slow spells.

Lilhunter 04-02-2003 07:29 PM

sounds like you are in the wrong sport.

HUNT!!!

mauser06 04-02-2003 08:30 PM

im constantly scanning the woods....i catch deer coming way before they know whats up...this is ground hunting with a rifle..but all are in archery range so i guess its about the same only i dont have to move much to shot...i like watching other animals too..keeps me alert and keeps my eyes moving and alert to any sounds......works for me.....i could never read or do anything else....once in a while when its the off hours like mid day usually is i day dream or doze off.....but usually not deer hunting...they sneak up to easy....turkey hunting i sleep when nothing much is gobbling at me..i love waking up to a gobbler coming in to visit...

BBHPete 04-02-2003 08:37 PM

Sometimes I read, but mostly I just take in the beauty of what God has created. Sometimes I' ll sit there and try to imagine what my surroundings would have looked like 100 or 200 years ago.

Buckbuster4ou 04-02-2003 08:37 PM

Reading. I' ve tried it but find my head on the swivel checking out the woods for movement or a piece of a deer.

I am also entertained by other critters, squirrels can be pretty entertaining at times. Almost had one come down the trunk of a tree on to my face, he got about
6" from me then stopped and fled.

davidmil 04-02-2003 08:45 PM

I just hunt. I guestimate ranges, I range with the range finder, I use the binos a lot, I rehearse shot positions, I make notes of everything I can so when something different appears I' ll pick it up, I watch tweets and squirrel, I reposition myself(stand up/sit down), I drink water, I think about other stand sites, I second guess myself:eek:, I plan the next hunt, I start it all over again.:D Become the Tree Grasshopper.:D You know you' re doing it when you' re holding your bow and a nuthatch lands on your wrist. I had that this year. Now that is neat.

huntforlife 04-02-2003 08:51 PM

I spend most of my time trying to determine the source of any little movement in the woods from a bird to a spider web catching a glimpse of sunshine on it I also take in the alone time just thinking about anything that pops into my mind

Who 04-02-2003 09:04 PM

Well I watch tv for a while or listen to the radio. If I get board with this I play a game of pool.

[>:]NOT:D

I HUNT!
Rick

HuntingNut13 04-02-2003 09:17 PM

Besides watch the squirrels bark at the thing they can' t figure out is me, sometimes I bring a snack. When I get a little hungry or thirsty, it sure makes hunting more enjoyable.

Lady Forge 04-02-2003 10:11 PM

99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer, you take one down pass it around 98 bottles of beer on the wall[&:]

2droptine 04-02-2003 10:53 PM

I become one with the woods. When you believe at anytime Mr. Big could step in there is no getting bored.

DOGMEAT 04-03-2003 05:26 AM

[8D] COUNT HOW MANY SQUIRRELS , BLUE JAYS, AND WHISKY JACKS COME AND EAT CORN OUT OF MY BAIT PILE.

Rack-attack 04-03-2003 07:29 AM

I can honestly say I have never been bored on stand. I have never been in a stand and thought " man I wish I was doing something else" . The anticipation and suspense, and all the stuff to do - what David said - the time goes by way to fast for me.:D

its the nine months in between that kills me[X(]:D

Proff 04-03-2003 07:49 AM

Well one thing I do is what davidmil said, I sit there in my stand thinking about what might be happening in one of my other stands or one of my other woods. That is the only downfall of having alot of woods with so many stands to sit in. But THAT is a good problem. I agree with the others that I just constantly scan the woods and enjoy everything out there. I love watching wildlife of any kind. And mr. big can show up at any time. I spend alot of time in prayer. I ahve heard it said that when in a treestand you are 20 ft. colser to the Lord. I spend alot of one on one time with my Savior. And I also slow down, clear my head and forget about all of life' s pressures and to do lists. No phones, no TV. Just God, me and his wonderful creation. Man, how can ya get bored in the wild? Man do I miss being out there!!!

NewYorkHunter 04-03-2003 07:54 AM

I generally am either constantly scanning the woods, guessing yardages, inspecting my bow visually, or being entertained by the squirrels and chipmunks.

Arthur P 04-03-2003 08:11 AM

If they don' t come to me in what I feel is a reasonable amount of time, I get on my feet and go looking for the darn things. In other words, I put on my moccassins, get off my butt and actually go HUNTING. I refuse to allow myself to get tied into one, and only one, method. If all you do is sit in a stand on a day the deer aren' t moving... Well, how many days do you get to go hunting and how many of those can you afford to waste?

Your preseason scouting has (hopefully) isolated bedding, feeding and holding areas. You know where they are, or should be. Go get ' em!

TWPAHTR 04-03-2003 09:10 AM

This is a good post.

This topic floats around alot in my head. I have to agree with the the thought of enjoying the bordom. I don' t know why, but after 22 years of hunting I' m so glad that I don' t worry about killing anything any more. The anticipation is as much or more rewarding than the score. Time goes by so fast when I' m sitting in my tree stand. I only wish work could pass by as quickly as when I' m " stuck" in my perch.... waiting....waiting....and waiting. Sitting in one place for up to 10 hours is cazy to some people. I' ve tried to explain this to many, but if you don' t get it .... you just don' t get it. I do .... and I love it!!!! You can' t pay for that kind of entertainment. Some how this patients manages to keep me very successful these days. Keep the bordom coming... I' ll be waiting.

Trushot_archer 04-03-2003 09:41 AM

I kinda like to shoot deer when I go hunting. That being said everything else I do is somehow (hopefully) increasing my chances to reach that goal.:D

xibowhunter 04-03-2003 10:24 AM

constantly scanning the surrounding woods, hoping a big one comes down one of the trails within shooting range.:D

schlich92 04-03-2003 12:30 PM

Even though I enjoy my job....

I spend my time in the woods enjoying the tranquility of the woods and appreciate the time that I have to spend there and enjoy every minute of it, because it seems as though I can never get enough!

Hunt2Kill 04-03-2003 09:03 PM

Food Food Drink and More Food.... Thats the highlight of my day.... Scan woods, see nothing.. scan agian see nothing... scan agian see darkness... another day no deer :-) o well i keep coming back for more

DaveH 04-04-2003 01:06 AM

I also read a pocket New Testament and pray during slow times while hunting. I see more deer during this time than when I just sit waiting for one to appear.

DaveC 04-04-2003 10:16 PM

Same here with the small new testament. I don' t read it near as much as I' d like to. I' m too buisy waiting for mr Deer to show up.

I count squirrels, birds, jet airplanes, lifeflight helo' s and army blackhawks. Then if you listen, you can enjoy the roar of Highway 59 and the train than travels along the tracks parralelling the highway.
Yes if you listen close you can here the sport bike winding through the gears getting on the highway. The nearby neighberhood where their constantly beating on something, or shooting rounds out the front porch into Lord knows what. Yes the joys of hunting East Texas, why do I hunt here again???

mrfishy34 04-05-2003 04:41 AM

i do some scouting in my stand.(havent got to bow hunt yet) i do the same as the others said i am scannin alot, lookin at other critters, and just antisaptating that a big one' s going to come from behind them bushes:D

bscofield 04-05-2003 09:11 AM

I know I' m not being too outdoorsy here by suggesting this but I' ve only been hunting once and I passed the time (when I wasn' t preparing, getting settled in, moving around looking for the source of a noise) playing my palm pilot... chess anyone?

turkeyreaper 04-05-2003 09:50 AM

I just sit back and think to myself
THIS D@MN TREE STAND IS SO UNCONFORTABLE..........AND WHY IS MY A@S NUMB!!!!![:' (]

jag-mag 04-05-2003 04:52 PM

Figure out who I' m going to call to help drag this monster out.:D

ram96 04-05-2003 05:14 PM

I carry a little note pad and write down what I see. Also make notes on weather conditions and the time I am in the woods.

Woody116 04-06-2003 06:29 AM

When I do the yearly trip to camp, I take a little hand held solitare game that I can turn the sound off on. We have 80 acres with three or four of us, so its hard to get down and walk around on those slow days. I have to admit though, the game doesnt get played often.
I too am busy watching the squirrels, grouse, foxes, etc. And the rare elephant footed mice that frequent the area too! ;)

titleist 04-06-2003 07:13 AM

I don' t think anything can compare to simply being in the middle of the woods. Take the time you' re on stand and just appreciate what you' re surrounded by. I mean really look around. Smell!! There' s nothing better to me than just being out there. Away from the world.

don loch 04-07-2003 01:17 PM

I spend most of my time trying to remember things, like maybe I should bring a parachute next time.[:o] I like to video things also, tape everything,I can edit latter............;)

Hunt2Kill 04-07-2003 03:46 PM

wow good results from a good question :D