Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 3 Most Important Things? >

3 Most Important Things?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3 Most Important Things?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3 Most Important Things?

1. Burning a day scouting (bow in hand) can save you a week in the stand.
2. Go with your gut and don't second guess.
3. There are no absolutes.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

1. Be prepared for anything, sometimes even what might seem to be ridiculous

2. Treat all deer the same when getting in and out of a stand. For example if its dark and deer are around, don't leave until you feel completely safe. Those same deer may avoid that area and in doing so may lead mature does and bucks away from that area also.

3. Always carry your bow and have the release on, even when just moving a stand, or doing a little after hunt scouting. Two or three times I missed very possible opportunities to shoot at a big buck because I became complacent, never thinking I'd stumble upon a nice buck at the time.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

ORIGINAL: _Dan

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

There is a huge difference between waiting to kill and hanging to kill.
The last day on stand in IL Johnny and I had this discussion. Knowing what we do now about that property, we could have been a hell of a lot more agressive. Lesson learned.
I think we'll get the piece again.. no problem. Dude loves us.

We'll have a few stands pre-hung before the season begins.. and several more trees trimmed and ready for stands Dano.

We gonna drop the hammer on several great whitetail next season. All on film no less.
Yep, JZ sent me a text right after he talked to the land owner.

We'll plan a weekend this winter to do down and look around some more andmaybe find a little bone.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

1. ALWAYS hunt the Wind
2. Take scent control to the MAX
3. Never over hunt a property or stand (I think I have only hunted 3 stands more than once and None more than 5 times.
4. Do whatever you have to, to prevent spooking ANY deer coming or going to your stand.
5. Hunt ALL day.

Yeah I know that's 5, but I'll quit.

Dan
Old 11-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hunt the wind
Stand placement
Make your own "luck"
Old 11-27-2008, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GregH

Provided that you are already hunting where the animals that you're after live.....

1) Playing the wind.

2) Stand placement.

3) Learning all that you can about the animal you hunt.

I'm still learning.
Greg, I know you have hunted many years and have been quite successful, but I Agree! If you are not still learning then you are not trying very hard.

I learn something every year.

Dan
Old 11-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

1. Stand placement (I was so clueless about this when I started)
2. Playing the wind (took me awhile to understand how important this is)
3. Understanding the daily routines of deer during different times of season (eating, bedding, breeding)
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Banned

1. NEVER hunt a stand where the wind is in the wrong direction. NEVER. And I MEAN NEVER. Carbon clothing and all of the gimmicks in the world can't fool a whitetails nose.

2. Proper stand placement/location. It took me MANY years to be able to look at a piece of ground and know where and how deer will move through the given piece of timber. I only learned this by many hours sitting in the wrong stand locations and not knowing deers' habits.

3. Best hunting equipment you can afford and being proficient with it. I missed several huge bucks over the years, that wouldn't stand a chance now that I havemodern equipment like myBowtech Guardian, a release, a Lone Wolf treestand that doesn't squeak, broadheads like my Slick Tricks that fly true, etc. The extreme letoff that these modern compounds have, make for an easy to shoot bow compared to my old compounds that I shot with fingers 20-30 years ago. If I had one of these modern bows w- a releaseyears ago..well I can only imagine. I have had the best hunting season in my life this year, partially responsible I believe, is thatI learned that a 60# bow is better for whitetail than a 70# or higher poundage bow, as it shoots quieter, easier to draw in an awkward or sitting position, or with a cold, tired frozen muscles and body, easier to hold on full draw for EXTENDED periods of time while waiting for the deer to make that final step.. My arrows still get complete passthrus on all of my kills, including an elk this year.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

1. wind
2. patience
3. taking more thought to my shot-aim small, miss small
4. walking in and out of stand down-wind
Old 11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Preparation
Preparation
Preparation

And all there is left to do is sit there....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.