Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shooting over 250fps- Fixed or Mechanical >

Shooting over 250fps- Fixed or Mechanical

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting over 250fps- Fixed or Mechanical

Old 01-22-2002, 04:45 PM

Default Shooting over 250fps- Fixed or Mechanical

At my local bow shop I was told that if your bow shoots over 250 fps then you should should only shoot mechanical broadheads because a fixed broadhead, at that speed would not be able to stablize and be inaccurate. How true is this? Does anybody have any luck shooting fixed over 250 fps?
Old 01-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shooting over 250fps- Fixed or Mechanical

That is COMPLETELY false.

You can tune fixed blade heads to shoot accurately at virtually ANY speed......it all comes down to bow and arrow tuning.
If you take the time to do it right they'll fly just fine.
Now some heads seem to fly better than others, and getting them to fly properly gets a little touchier at high speeds,(I'd hardly call 250fps too fast!)
But to say that you CAN'T do it?......sounds to me like you need a new pro-shop! What mechanical head were they pushing?
Old 01-22-2002, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

...Hehe, I remember not that long ago Chuck Adams made the statement that 220 was the magic number.

I do agree that with proper tuning of the bow and matching the right arrow to the setup you shouldn't have a problem with a quality fix blade head.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot 269 using 85gr. Thunderheads no problem getting them to fly right.Me thinks your Pro-shop owner is full of it.lol. Or maybe he can't tune bows.However even shooting mechs your bow needs to be tuned.
Old 01-22-2002, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have to agree with the others. I shoot only fixed blades at 65 lbs. with carbon arrows. 100 grain heads I might add. No problem at all, and I am shooting over 250 and could use them at any speed with a properly tuned setup.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Easy there fellas- If your a novice bow tuner or don't know how to tune/tweak a bow,This could be a major problem,especially if you have to pay someone to fine tune your equipment. I do agree that the shop should not have made a "blanket" statement to use only mechs, but should have told him he may need to tweak it in.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like the others I disagree. With a properly tuned bow you can shoot good quality fixed blade heads very well. I shoot around 265/270 with excellent accuracy out to 60 yards with fixed blade heads. You do however need to tune your bow well to get good results.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-22-2002, 09:59 PM

I agree with everybody--all the time. I am a very likeable person. Although, I was under the impression that if your bow is slower than 220 or 250fps (the magic number) then you don't want to shoot mechanical. But if I'm wrong, then I totally agree with you.
Old 01-23-2002, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

False as the others say. I am shooting 292 fps with both mechanicals shockwaves and steelforce's so It can be done just tune your bow.

brian
Old 01-23-2002, 04:50 AM

Yep....false. However I feel that you should have 250fps to shoot mechanicals.

Quick Reply: Shooting over 250fps- Fixed or Mechanical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.