Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 my 08 kansas buck w/story >

my 08 kansas buck w/story

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

my 08 kansas buck w/story

Old 11-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default my 08 kansas buck w/story

last weekend my partner took me to a place where he had been hunting a specific buck for 2 weeks now with many previous sightings. it isn't the biggest buck but a good shooter in my book. he tells me that he has given up trying to chase the buck and tells me where he believes the buck is bedding. i go in and find the best doe trail leading into this bucks bedding area. i follow the path 60 yards into the woods, trying to make the least amount of sound on the dried leaves i would only take 1-3 steps at a time. i finally reached a point that looked like it would be perfect to climb up a tree and all of the sudden i hear the buck stand up 30 yards away. i have tons of gear on and my hands are full, i had to freeze because the buck was too close. i watch through the tangled mess of downed trees as the bucks eyes start to close, his head started to lower, finally his eyes were all the way closed and his head drooped down to the ground. the buck fell asleep standing up so he layed back down to sleep, i slowly drop my gear down to the ground and get ready for the shot. i range some spots and find all my windows, i figure if he stands up and goes left i have a lot of shots, if he stands up and goes right i have an 8-10 inch window to shoot through at 30 yards and the timing has to be perfect or the buck is gone. 1 hour passed with me standing in the open, the buck stands up and walks to the right so i draw back and aim for the one open window, the buck steps into it for a half a second and i release. the arrow flew perfect and i got a dead center heart shot. the buck jumped 2 feet and fell over, i am tagged out for the season here in kansas.

there were a lot of ways that this should have went wrong, but a few factors played to my advantage. first dumb luck to walk to the only perfect spot, second there were 100 turkeys on the other side of him, i believe he thought my sound was just the sound of another turkey. and last, he was too tired from the running in the rut to open his eyes to see me.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: my 08 kansas buck w/story

Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

the buck scored out at 155" with 11 points. it was a 3.5 year old buck, if he had made it to his 4th year, it would have been a 7x7.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!! Great story and a beautiful buck! Congrats!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

cool story and nice buck IA
Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: vmartin

the buck scored out at 155" with 11 points. it was a 3.5 year old buck, if he had made it to his 4th year, it would have been a 7x7.
Very nice buck. How didyou come to predict how many points he'd have next year?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and buck, congrats!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

(iahnter) he had the main beam points trying to nub up this year, they just weren't long enough. and i am sorry, i said that wrong he would be a 6x7 next year not a 7x7 next year
Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck, congrats.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome buck... congrats...

Quick Reply: my 08 kansas buck w/story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.