Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Are we prejudice ? Is there something we're overlooking ?

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

You always hear bow-hunters talk negatively about firearms season.

We claim that the deerbecome too pressured and now we are at a disadvantage.

But should we be looking at is from another angle ? MOST gun hunters utilize field edge set ups, blinds and hedge row cover. They get in, sit down and wait on deer to get into the fields, because they can pretty much shoot the entire field.

Bowhunters, we hit these deer hard. We slip in close to bedding, hit their travel routes, funnels, watering holes. You name it, we get in close and NEED to do so. So, are we presussing these deer as much, or maybe even more, than a gun hunter ?

Aside from a deer drive(because thats a different type of hunting)....What do you think ?

I'll tell you this, when I go out with my muzzleloader or slug gun- I love field edge set ups. I rarely head into the timber, but I also rarely pick up a firearm. I think I go much more undetected when I gun hunt.

I have never noticed a difference in how deer travel and interact during firearms season, on my properties. I can bowhunt all year....Sometimes I notice an increase in deer numbers, most likely because someone on a nieghboring property did a deer drive...Seems like the deer seek refuge for a few hours and then go back("seems").
I think most of the negative talk you hear from bow hunters spawns more from elitism than anything else. You see the second you (or anyone) starts toseparate the two by negative points, the deeper the wedge is driven and the worse it is for all of hunting.

Any form of hunting whether it be shooting at deer from field edges or trekking into their bedding, travel routesor feeding areas will end up "pressuring" deer if done excessively. This happens more quickly from gun hunters obviously due to the sheer numbers that hit the woods during the gun seasons. The private land my family owns shows no ill effect from the gun season and I've even killed deer with my bow the very day after the gun season ended while she (it was a doe) was going about her business like nothing had happened the day before. I had been out the three days prior hunting with my gun.

Gun hunters set up over open fields (for the most part) because their weapon can reach long distances. If a bow could kill out to 200yds and beyond on a regular basis (like a rifle) I guarantee you'd see most bow hunters setting up the same way. We utilize what we have to get a kill. When I pistol hunt I know my effective range is pretty much the same asmy compound and I set up accordingly. When I use my slug gun (Deer) or my rifle (Coyotes, Fox, Raccoon, Opossum, etc...) I set up in a way to get the maximum effectiveness from the weapon I'm using. I've also brought my slug gun deep into the timber on many occasions as well because it happen to be where I wanted to hunt that particular day.

Bow hunters who talk negative about gun seasons do sofor one reason and one only (IMHO) selfishness. Selfishness brought on by a twisted ideology of entitlement and elitism. The term "Hunter" means nothing to them, they only understand "Bow Hunter", and any other form of hunting that impedes or diminishes their attempt to kill their deer is either looked down upon or spoken negatively of.

Prejudice?.....You better believe it!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:36 AM

try and hunt a state where hounds are dropped Nov 15th and see how much of a disadvantage it is...
Old 11-26-2008, 11:53 AM

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

I think most of the negative talk you hear from bow hunters spawns more from elitism than anything else. You see the second you (or anyone) starts toseparate the two by negative points, the deeper the wedge is driven and the worse it is for all of hunting.

Any form of hunting whether it be shooting at deer from field edges or trekking into their bedding, travel routesor feeding areas will end up "pressuring" deer if done excessively. This happens more quickly from gun hunters obviously due to the sheer numbers that hit the woods during the gun seasons. The private land my family owns shows no ill effect from the gun season and I've even killed deer with my bow the very day after the gun season ended while she (it was a doe) was going about her business like nothing had happened the day before. I had been out the three days prior hunting with my gun.

Gun hunters set up over open fields (for the most part) because their weapon can reach long distances. If a bow could kill out to 200yds and beyond on a regular basis (like a rifle) I guarantee you'd see most bow hunters setting up the same way. We utilize what we have to get a kill. When I pistol hunt I know my effective range is pretty much the same asmy compound and I set up accordingly. When I use my slug gun (Deer) or my rifle (Coyotes, Fox, Raccoon, Opossum, etc...) I set up in a way to get the maximum effectiveness from the weapon I'm using. I've also brought my slug gun deep into the timber on many occasions as well because it happen to be where I wanted to hunt that particular day.

Bow hunters who talk negative about gun seasons do sofor one reason and one only (IMHO) selfishness. Selfishness brought on by a twisted ideology of entitlement and elitism. The term "Hunter" means nothing to them, they only understand "Bow Hunter", and any other form of hunting that impedes or diminishes their attempt to kill their deer is either looked down upon or spoken negatively of.

Yep. It's funny to hear bowhuntersgripe so much about DNRs and G&Fs. From apopulation control perspective, bowhunting is one of the worst and most ineffective methods for herd management using traditional hunting techniques. A DNR's primary purpose with respect to deer is to keepthe deer herd in check and to keep ithealthy. We are fortunate to even have bow seasons.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Consider yourself lucky. That isn't even clsoe to a reality for the places I hunt. Itsa circus to put it mildly. Drives almost daily, and even when those aren't going on you can still find a random guy or 5 wandering around because they are too cold or bored. It would be a dream if they all watched fields.
I was thinking the same thing. Most of the firearm hunters around here just drive around in their truck and hope to spot something. When they do, the 'chase' is on... Half the time, whether or not they have permission.... It's a heck of a circus... If they shoot their deer further than 10 yards from their vehicle it's a miracle....

Last Sat. I was sitting in my stand (bowhunting during gun season) and could see the orange army drive around and around and around the sections- and I knew they didn't have permission to hunt those fields....
Old 11-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am guilty as charged. I am selfish. But you hit on a point that I couldn't let pass. That point is the term "hunter". That term and that statement is precisely where I get my elitist attitude from and my sense of entitlement because to be honest with you I do feel that people who strictly gun hunt's right are inferior to mine. Primarily because my passion for hunting hunting and their passion for hunting are in 2 different stratospheres; because if that had an inkling of the passion that I do for the sport they would pick up a bow and get in the woods on Sept. 15 (like I do) and fight the heat and mosquitoes just to be out there. Instead of waiting until the rut when it's nice and cool and hunting a weekend or two. So do I have an elitist attitude? You damn right I do!!! You can classify any weekend warrior that picks up a gun without sighting it in and walks into the woods for a day or two a year, a "hunter" and you would be correct by the dictionary definition. But I hold the term "hunter" and myself to a higher standardard. So yea I am predjudice
Old 11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bow hunters who talk negative about gun seasons do so for one reason and one only (IMHO) selfishness. Selfishness brought on by a twisted ideology of entitlement and elitism. The term "Hunter" means nothing to them, they only understand "Bow Hunter", and any other form of hunting that impedes or diminishes their attempt to kill their deer is either looked down upon or spoken negatively of.

So I'm an elitist because I wish the Mn DNR would back up the gun season a few weeks? I've said It a million times that If they do that everyone Including the gun hunters would benefit from It!!! Speak all you want from your own experiences In your state but don't lump that with everyone elses state or area.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

I am guilty as charged. I am selfish. But you hit on a point that I couldn't let pass. That point is the term "hunter". That term and that statement is precisely where I get my elitist attitude from and my sense of entitlement because to be honest with you I do feel that people who strictly gun hunt's right are inferior to mine. Primarily because my passion for hunting hunting and their passion for hunting are in 2 different stratospheres; because if that had an inkling of the passion that I do for the sport they would pick up a bow and get in the woods on Sept. 15 (like I do) and fight the heat and mosquitoes just to be out there. Instead of waiting until the rut when it's nice and cool and hunting a weekend or two. So do I have an elitist attitude? You damn right I do!!! You can classify any weekend warrior that picks up a gun without sighting it in and walks into the woods for a day or two a year, a "hunter" and you would be correct by the dictionary definition. But I hold the term "hunter" and myself to a higher standardard. So yea I am predjudice
Amen brother.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Cruise J.D.

Yep. It's funny to hear bowhuntersgripe so much about DNRs and G&Fs. From apopulation control perspective, bowhunting is one of the worst and most ineffective methods for herd management using traditional hunting techniques. A DNR's primary purpose with respect to deer is to keepthe deer herd in check and to keep ithealthy. We are fortunate to even have bow seasons.
Bow hunting is big business, don't kid yourself for a minute that states are doing us a favor by allowing a bow season, states get tons of cash from tag sales and equipment taxes for archery gear.A guy buys a rifle and a set of blazehe keeps it for15 years, guystrade bows like underwear as the equipment is constantly evolving. I've owned aRemmingtondeer rifle for 25 years now and I've owned over 20 bows inmy life, do the math.

I would also say it's a fair statement that bowhunters generally have a better understanding of wildlife asthey interact withnature closely and spend much more time in the woods. It's not really hard for a gun hunter to shoot a deer a 200 yards but for a bow hunter, it's a real challengeand it takes real skill to get close with a bow and use your own bodies energy to launch the short range projectile, we have to move while the deer is close during the draw, not just flip the safety off at 150 yards with the scope crosshairs on the animals chest. That may seem like"elitism" to you but it's just a fact of the differences between gun and bow hunting. Bow hunting is far less intrusive on natureand is far more spiritual in my eyes and I've done both extensively.

How many gun hunters sit there paitiently all week waiting for the deer? Yes, some do, moreoften they gather into parties and start driving cornfields, swamps, thickets, etc. There's nothing wrong with it, most big bucks in Illinois are killed in deerdrivesbut the point of this topic is which is more invasive and is there a prejudice? Ithink lots of hunters, lot's of gunshotsis just a part of gunhunting and it's natural forsome people to shy away from that type of activity and form some resentments.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Site Bouncer

Silentassassin,

There are slob gun hunters and slob bow hunters...I've seen them both and neither are "hunters" in my book. So what's your point?? My neighbor is a hunter, however due to his job and family obligations (has a special need child) is only able to get out and hunt during the Illinois gun season and maybe if he's lucky a couple afternoons to bird hunt. He's inferior to you?! He abides by all of the states hunting laws, is aware of his firearm, his target and beyond it and has a great time afield. According to YOU he's not a hunter because he gets to hunt during therut on a nice cool afternoon?? Give me a break.

I hope you reconsider your position on the matter, I truly do.

Schultzy

So I'm an elitist because I wish the Mn DNR would back up the gun season a few weeks? I've said It a million times that If they do that everyone Including the gun hunters would benefit from It!!! Speak all you want from your own experiences In your state but don't lump that with everyone elses state or area.
Not if your reason for moving back the gun season benefits all involved. I don't know the situation in MN so I can't comment on it other than to say if your reason for moving back the gun season is explicitly to give bow hunters an edge on killing bucks it leans toward favoritism but not elitism.

There's nothing wrong with wanting a better chance to get your quarry but don't belittle (I've never read anything from you that has by the way) another form of hunting simply because it stands in your way.

I hope that made sense.....
Old 11-26-2008, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Dopler

ORIGINAL: Cruise J.D.

Bow hunting is big business, don't kid yourself for a minute that states are doing us a favor by allowing a bow season, states get tons of cash from tag sales and equipment taxes for archery gear.A guy buys a rifle and a set of blazehe keeps it for15 years, guystrade bows like underwear as the equipment is constantly evolving. I've owned aRemmingtondeer rifle for 25 years now and I've owned over 20 bows inmy life, do the math.

I would also say it's a fair statement that bowhunters generally have a better understanding of wildlife asthey interact withnature closely and spend much more time in the woods. It's not really hard for a gun hunter to shoot a deer a 200 yards but for a bow hunter, it's a real challengeand it takes real skill to get close with a bow and use your own bodies energy to launch the short range projectile, we have to move while the deer is close during the draw, not just flip the safety off at 150 yards with the scope crosshairs on the animals chest. That may seem like"elitism" to you but it's just a fact of the differences between gun and bow hunting. Bow hunting is far less intrusive on natureand is far more spiritual in my eyes and I've done both extensively.

How many gun hunters sit there paitiently all week waiting for the deer? Yes, some do, moreoften they gather into parties and start driving cornfields, swamps, thickets, etc. There's nothing wrong with it, most big bucks in Illinois are killed in deerdrivesbut the point of this topic is which is more invasive and is there a prejudice? Ithink lots of hunters, lot's of gunshotsis just a part of gunhunting and it's natural forsome people to shy away from that type of activity and form some resentments.

You never refuted my statement that bowhunting is an inferior herd management technique. Simple harvest numbers bear that out. If the antis ever gain the upper hand, bowhunting will be the first to go. It is the least defensible from a scientific herd management view.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.